Collins St, between Campbell & Argyle Sts, Hobart
Opened 6 June 1880. In Wellington Street, behind the large Reed Memorial Baptist Church. Originally, a skittle alley occupied the site and this was converted by Henry Reed into a Mission Church with Sunday School. After a couple of years, this was replaced by the current brick structure, which later became the Sunday School building.
It is well known that Launceston is indebted to the late Mr Henry Reed, assisted by his energetic wife, for the excellent design of imparting religious instruction to the poorer classes in the west end of the town, within easy reach of their homes, and in the most attractive form — that is, without any charge whatever. – Daily Telegraph, 1 July 1885
Can be seen in the background of this photo.
Currently (2015) it is operating as Korean Full Gospel Church.
A story in the Examiner, 1935 gives the history of the building:
The hotel which he bought from Mr. Parr (it is still inhabited) was a dilapidated concern with several old stables and coach-houses, and a long shed, which had been used as a skittle alley. Mr. Reed thought it might be made to answer his purpose, as it was situated in the very right position for the work he contemplated (in probably the [?] of the city at the time). It was not until nearly a year after that he saw his way to go forward in the matter, and then he attached the mission to the Wesleyan Church.
He did not build fresh promises at first, but had the long shed cleared out, painted, gas laid on and seats put in. The church work began in July, 1876. It went on for nearly a year, though there was a lack of harmony between the mission and the church to which it was united. Finally they separated.
A Sunday school was commenced in 1877. The work prospered, and it was desirable that the new and more permanent building should stand on the very ground occupied by the skittle alley. In order to do this a temporary place had to be prepared in which to hold the services while the building was being erected, and this was accomplished by clearing out and fitting up some of the old stables on the other side of the yard, where the congregation worshipped for more than 12 months. On June 6, 1880, the new building (the present Sunday school) was opened for service. It was capable of holding three hundred people.
Located at 22 Glen Dhu St. Currently home to the Launceston Bridge Club.
From the leaflet Launceston Churches of the 20th Century produced by the Launceston Historical Society, the church opened 25 October 1958 for use by the congregation that previously met in St Stephen’s in Wilson. It closed 1985, and at the time the leaflet was produced (1996) was being used by the Assembly Of God.