Huon Hwy, Geeveston. Google maps.
5 Brownell St, Geeveston. Google maps.
The Church of Christ at Geeveston was opened on 17 June 1906. The new chapel was described as a “neat wooden structure, splendidly situated, and seated to accommodate about 200 people”.
By the 1950s the church numbers were dwindling.
In 1978 it amalgamated with the local Congregational Church to become the Geeveston Community Church (the local Congregational Church had decided not to be part of the Uniting Church of Australia).
Tasmanian Archives & Heritage Office
BISHOP MERCER ON TOUR.
Bishop Mercer arrived by last evening’s train, and delivered a lecture at the Metropole Theatre on “Competition.” This evening he administered confirmation to a number of children at St. Martin’s Church. To-morrow he will visit Gormanston to dedicate St. Cuthbert’s Church, and in the evening will give a lecture in Gaffney’s Hall. On Saturday his Lordship will hold a reception at Queenstown, returning to Gormanston on Sunday for the purpose of holding a confirmation service; leaving again for Zeehan on Monday. During his visit here the Bishop is the guest of Mr. R. Sticht.
Examiner, 20 November 1903
Opened 1840s. Replaced by current St Marks in 1859.
On Thursday the Bishop left for Deloraine, accompanied as before by the Rural Dean, C. Meredith, Esq., J. P., and other inhabitants of Port Sorell. His Lordship had a narrow escape of meeting the bushrangers, as the man sent as a guide was stopped by two armed men, who stripped and otherwise ill treated him. On Friday the Bishop assisted by the Rural Dean, the Rev. John Bishton &c, laid the foundation of the Church and School house at Deloraine. The contractor has agreed to complete this building within three months.
The Courier, 8 May 1845
Deloraine. — A subscription is on foot in the township towards erecting a Wesleyan Chapel, for which we understood Mr. Bonney has in the handsomest manner offered to give a piece of ground. At present Divine Service is to be performed in Mr. Courtenay’s house, once a month, viz, on the Sunday when the Chaplain of Deloraine pays his accustomed visit to Port Sorell. On Sunday week last the Rev. Mr. Waterhouse, of Westbury preached at Deloraine to a numerous congregation, and the Wesleyans in that district are likely to assume an important position; at all events the erection of a Chapel there will be the means of gathering in rather a large body of persons who from some cause or other object to frequent the Church.
Cornwall Chronicle, 5 July 1848
OPENING OF THE NEW WESLEYAN CHAPEL.
(From a Correspondent.)
On Sunday last, notwithstanding the unpropitious state of the weather, a good congregation assembled in this neat and pretty chapel to listen to two admirable discourses delivered by Rev. J. A. Manton, the President of the Wesleyan Conference and notwithstanding that very many friends of the cause were prevented attending, through the inclemency of tie weather, tile sum of £29 0s. 2d. was collected.
Launceston Examiner, 11 December 1856
At the Wesleyan Church, Deloraine, the Rev. E. T. Cox will preach two sermons on the occasion of the introduction of the new organ, on Sunday.
Daily Telegraph, 15 September 1883
Deloraine Wesleyan Church.– The Wesleyan Church, which, has been closed a short time for alterations and repairs, was reopened on Sunday. The Rev. W. Wykes delivered three excellent discourses to large congregations. The church which for ordinary occasions is quite large enough, was in the evening crowded. The subject in the morning was “The present political situation;” afternoon, “Flower service;” evening, “Law and Gospel.” Collections were taken after each service in aid of the church renovation fund.
Tasmanian, 2 May 1885
A small wooden church, adjoining and possibly just south of the current Holy Redeemer Church. Replaced in 1886.
Possibly it was built in the 1850s. On the 13th April 1856, John Gannan (45 years, farmer, free) married Catherine Morrissey (25 years, house servant(?), free) in “the Catholic church, Deloraine”.
Some twelve months ago the Rev. E. F. Walsh, the pastor of the district, found the little wooden church which for many years had been used for the services of his church too small for the increased and increasing congregation, and voluntary subscriptions were invited, and so liberally were these responded to that a large sum wan obtained. It was then determined to have plans drawn, and tenders invited for the erection of a church to accommodate 600 persons, which will be erected contiguous to the present edifice, and on the northern side
Launceston Examiner, 11 November 1884
The new church, which will be a handsome and substantial edifice, after the style of the one at Westbury, will be almost upon the site of the old one, and is only a stone’s throw from the railway station.
Daily Telegraph, 11 November 1884