First Church of Christ, Scientist, Hobart


67 Brisbane St. Opened 1929.


The First Church of Christ, Scientist, Hobart

On a recent Sunday in Hobart the Christian Science Church, “First Church of Christ, Scientist, Hobart,” at 69 Brisbane street, near Elizabeth street, was dedicated.

Christian Science churches are not dedicated until they are debt-free, and it was with glad hearts and grateful thanks to the Giver of all good that the doors were opened for three services that day. Each service was a replica of the others, but three were necessary to meet the needs of all those desiring to attend.

In the dedicatory announcement, which was of extreme simplicity, the following facts and dates were included: The first recorded meeting in Hobart of a group of people interested in Christian Science was held on 26th February, 1913; one year later, 25th February, 1914, the group had so grown that a room had been rented in Miller’s Chambers, Murray street, and regular Sunday services and Wednesday testimony meetings were commenced as from that date; as the group grew in numbers, successive moves were made to 145 Macquarie street; Y.M.C.A. Building, Murray street; and the Bijou Theatre, Melville street; the first de- finite step towards erecting its own edifice for worship was taken in March, 1922, when the group inaugurated a church building fund; official recognition of the establishment of Christian Science in Tasmania came on 30th July, 1923, when the group was received as an official branch of “The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.,” the Hobart organisation being named “Christian Science Society, Hobart”; in July, 1928, the society purchased its fine building site in Brisbane street, and in September of that year was granted full branch church status as “First Church of Christ, Scientist, Hobart”; the foundation stone of the church edifice was laid during December, 1928; the first services in the new building were held on Sunday, 17th March, 1929, Sunday school being held in the edifice on Sunday afternoon; at a meeting in April, 1933, the membership decided to enlarge the edifice. When completed, the addition was partitioned off, sound-proofed, and set apart for use as a Sunday school during the period when the morning service was being conducted in the main edifice. Thus the edifice is already in existence when further extensions are necessary to accommodate increased congregations, all that is necessary to secure larger church premises being to knock out the partition and instal church seating. As will be seen from the illustration, the building is attractively constructed of burnt brick with concrete pillars, and accessories include metal window frames. The building is heated by electricity, and has an inclined floor, which enables everyone in tho congregation to secure a clear view of the readers who conduct the services.
The Advocate, 11 May 1940


St Martin’s Anglican Church, Queenstown


cnr Driffield and Russell Streets. Google Maps
Memorial window
Photo from other direction

On Sunday last we had a visit from the Rev Mr Copeland, Church of England minister, who held service in the store of the Mount Lyell Company. After service he gave an account of how matters stood with regard to his district, and said his idea was to build a small place at Queenstown to serve as a Sun day school, and to hold service in, and asked the assistance of the people towards that end. A. strong committee was formed, and ere long I hope to see the building erected.
Zeehan & Dundas Herald, 8 April 1896
Continue reading

(former) Christian Mission Church


Opened 6 June 1880. In Wellington Street, behind the large Reed Memorial Baptist Church.  Originally, a skittle alley occupied the site and this was converted by Henry Reed into a Mission Church with Sunday School. After a couple of years, this was replaced by the current brick structure, which later became the Sunday School building.

It is well known that Launceston is indebted to the late Mr Henry Reed, assisted by his energetic wife, for the excellent design of imparting religious instruction to the poorer classes in the west end of the town, within easy reach of their homes, and in the most attractive form — that is, without any charge whatever.Daily Telegraph, 1 July 1885

Can be seen in the background of this photo.

Currently (2015) it is operating as Korean Full Gospel Church.


A story in the Examiner, 1935 gives the history of the building:

The hotel which he bought from Mr. Parr (it is still inhabited) was a dilapidated concern with several old stables and coach-houses, and a long shed, which had been used as a skittle alley. Mr. Reed thought it might be made to answer his purpose, as it was situated in the very right position for the work he contemplated (in probably the [?] of the city at the time). It was not until nearly a year after that he saw his way to go forward in the matter, and then he attached the mission to the Wesleyan Church.

He did not build fresh promises at first, but had the long shed cleared out, painted, gas laid on and seats put in. The church work began in July, 1876. It went on for nearly a year, though there was a lack of harmony between the mission and the church to which it was united. Finally they separated.

A Sunday school was commenced in 1877. The work prospered, and it was desirable that the new and more permanent building should stand on the very ground occupied by the skittle alley. In order to do this a temporary place had to be prepared in which to hold the services while the building was being erected, and this was accomplished by clearing out and fitting up some of the old stables on the other side of the yard, where the congregation worshipped for more than 12 months. On June 6, 1880, the new building (the present Sunday school) was opened for service. It was capable of holding three hundred people.

Continue reading