22 Scotts Rd, Tunnack. Google Maps.
TUNNACK R C. CHURCH
Convent and School
About 70 years ago, when Father Keohan was parish priest, the first Roman Catholic Church was built in the Tunnack district. It was only a small structure, measuring 30ft by 15ft. It was used as a church and school combined, and was erected more than a mile from the centre of’ Tunnack, though within the town boundary, for here, as in other centres in the Midlands, the pioneers made every preparation for expansion, which has not yet been realised fully. The church was erected on a glebe block of land granted by the Government in the early days, and adjoining it were a cemetery and a three-roomed residence in which the school teacher resided until the arrival many years later, of the Sisters of the Church.
In the last decade of the nineteenth century it was decided to build a new church at Tunnack, and on blocks of land donated by the late Mr. Charles Owen O’Conor (whose two sons, Messrs. Alex and Patrick O’Conor, and three daughters still reside in the district) a church and convent were erected. It was considered that the convent would be of more service at Tunnack than at Oatlands, where it had been previously, owing to there being a larger Roman Catholic community in the Tunnack district.
The present church is a weatherboard structure which recently has been re-roofed with galvanised iron. On the same block is a portion of the old church which was moved from its original site en bloc, and is now used by the sisters as a washhouse. Nearby are the convent and school, erected just after the war and both of weatherboard. The school consists of two, rooms, and accommodates over 60 children, who are taught by the three sisters residing at the convent. Tunnack, at present, has not a parish priest of its own, but its needs are cared for by Father Barry, of Oatlands; who makes frequent visits to the district.
The Mercury, 28 July 1930
THE VINCENTIAN MISSION
After the termination of the Zeehan mission in connection with the Roman Catholic persuasion, the Vincentian Fathers will extend their labors to the Strahan, Queenstown, and Gormanston districts. The Rev. Father M. O’Callaghan has been in charge of that district during the past ten months, and his efforts have been crowned with a large measure of success. A church has been built at Queenstown, and land has been bought and paid for at Strahan, while a contract has been accepted for the erection of a church at Gormanston. The Vincentian Fathers will open missions at the Court house, Strahan, at 7.30 p.m. on Tuesday, February 1st, and will close on the following Friday evening. They will also open at the A.M.A. Hall, Gormanston, on the same day, at 7.30 p.m., and close on the following Saturday evening. The dedication of St. Joseph’s Church at Queenstown, will take place on Sunday, the 6th of February, and the ceremony will be conducted by His Lordship the Coadjutor Bishop of Hobart, and the occasional sermon will be preached by the Rev. Father McCarthey (Vincentian Father). On that important occasion a strong choir will sing Mozart’s 12th Mass, and a special collection will be taken up to assist in the liquidation of the debt upon the church. Father O’Callaghan appeal to his many friends for their earnest support in connection with this important matter.
Zeehan & Dundas Herald, 26 January 1898
Gormanston chapel is being rapidly pushed on.
Launceston Examiner, 14 February 1898
OPENING ST. MARY’S CHURCH, GORMANSTON
The solemn opening and dedication of St Mary’s Catholic Church, Gormanston, will take place on Sunday 29th inst. The mass will be a Missa Cantata, and the choir will be assisted by the full strength of St. Joseph’s Church, who intend journeying from Queenstown to assist at the opening ceremony. The Rev. M. W. Gilleran, of St Mary’s Cathedral, Hobart, will preach the occasional sermon. Admission will be by ticket, the proceeds being in aid of the debt on the church. Evening devotions and sermons will be held at 7 p.m. The pastor, Rev. M. O’Callaghan has been generally congratulated on the success that has followed his efforts in having such a pretty church erected in the short time that he has had charge of the district.
Zeehan & Dundas Herald, 19 May 1898
PILLINGER CATHOLIC CHURCH
No more favorable day than yesterday could have been chosen for the opening of the new Catholic Church at Kelly Basin dedicated to the Sacred Heart. Delightful weather conditions prevailed, and these, following the wintry weather of the past few weeks, proved an additional inducement, apart from the ceremony to many, amongst them some who had arrived by the train from Zeehan to take advantage of the excursion by the U.S.S. Company’s fast-steaming Pilot, which was running to the Basin. Punctually at 9.30 the vessel steamed away with nearly 80 excursionists on board, and after a run of about two hours Kelly Basin was reached, all proceeding immediately to the new church, where High Mass was celebrated by the Rev, Father O’Regan. His Lordship, Bishop Delaney preached, an eloquent and impressive sermon. After the collection had been taken up His Lordship announced that the total reached close upon £70, and thanked the congregation for the liberal manner in which they had responded. He also thanked the Strahan Choir, who had come from Strahan to take part in the service for their splendid assistance. This body, under the conductorship of Mrs Heinze, with Herr Holm as organist, lent considerable impressiveness to the service by their excellent rendering of Farmer’s “Twelfth Mass,” and the duet, Rossini’s “Tantum Ergo,” was nicely rendered by Mrs Heinze and Mr W. J. Kelly.
The church is built of wood, and of Gothic design of the early English period, and occupies a central and commanding position overlooking the township. The main elevation of the nave, entrance to which is gained by large double doors and opening outwards, has a bold gable surmounted with an ornamental cross, the filling of this gable being formed with panels and supported under the collar tie with cut brackets. The character of the interior, the walls and ceiling of which are lined with beaded board, is plain, with bold mouldings, The dado around the nave is of V pointed narrow hardwood boards, mounted at the top with bold mould, and the bottom with neat skirting. The windows throughout are Gothic leaded, fitted with fanlights, and in keeping with the style of architecture, the amber-tinted cathedral glass giving a soft, yet ample light. The cornice is bold and has neatly cut frieze divided into panels. Splendid ventilation has been provided by means of the fanlights and also by the frieze cornice from under the eaves. The painting and decorations, both outside and in, have been carried out in an artistic manner.
The building was designed and supervised by Messrs Austen and Keogh (As.R.V.I.A.), architects, of Strahan and Queenstown, and stands as another proof of the ability of those gentlemen. Mr F. H. Luckins of Kelly Basin, was the contractor, and he has fulfilled his part to the letter.
Zeehan & Dundas Herald, 5 November 1900
195 Gilbert St, Latrobe. Google Maps.
The solemn ceremony of opening the new Catholic Church at this place was celebrated by his Lordship the Catholic Bishop of Hobart Town, assisted by the Rev. J. Hogan, Rev. E.F. Walsh, and Rev. J.J. Noone, pastor of the district, on Wednesday, 15th inst. The building is of wood, consisting of nave, chancel, sacristy, and porch. The dimensions of which are–nave, 15ft by 20ft; chancel, 13ft by 12ft; sacristy, 13ft by 11ft, and porch, 9ft by 6ft. The interior is lathed and plastered; the roof is sheathed with blackwood beautifully varnished. The style is of Gothic architecture designed by H. Hunter, Esq.; and the plan was carried out by Mr M. Dooley in a most finished and tradesmanlike manner.
The Tasmanian, 25 November 1871
The Catholics in the district are bestiring themselves to erect a place of worship, the site for which is most conveniently situated at an easy distance from the township, and near the railway station. Under the auspices of Father Noon, from fifty to sixty men have for some days past been busily employed in clearing the ground, and have (to their credit be it said) given their services gratuitously. Quite a little stir was made when, one day last week, these workmen (some fifty or sixty in number) paraded the street two of them skilled upon the flute playing lively airs during the march, and all conducting themselves in a most orderly manner.
Cornwall Chronicle, 6 December 1869
Located near Catholic cemetery.
(From a Correspondent)
ON Sunday last, the new Catholic Church which has just been erected, in our little Village, was consecrated for Divine Service by the Lord Bishop of Hobart Town, assisted by the Revd. Mr. Fitzgerald. The little Church was densely crowded in every part. There were between 250 and 300 persons present, all of whom seemed to listen with breathless attention to His Lordship’s discourse, in which he dwelt most strongly on the evils of intemperance, a vice which is, unfortunately, too prevalent in this district. After the sermon a collection was made, and the munificent sum of £78 was realised. It is highly creditable to the Catholics of this District that they have succeeded so well in this undertaking. A great deal of praise is due to the zealous endeavors of their worthy pastor, who during the last two or three years has labored most indefatigably for this object. And when it is considered that Campbell Town is more than 50 miles distant from our Village, over a very bad road, some idea maybe formed of the difficulties which have had to he contended with.
The Church which is of an extremely chaste and simple style of architecture is amply fitted for the present wants of the congregation ; it is 40 feet long, by 20 broad. At one end, a beautiful bell turret has been erected, and we were pleased to hear the merry sound of its little bell on Sunday last. A fine Gothic window fills the east end, ii which, we are told, it is in contemplation to have painted.
Hobart Town Daily Mercury, 5 February 1859
A very nice Roman Catholic Church and Wesleyan Chapel are being built; the former will be quite an ornament to the place, the latter being of more humble pretensions. I hear that it is the intention of the ladies of the Roman Catholic persuasion to hold a bazaar in the Town Hall on the 24thof this month in aid of their church. A concert was held here last Thursday in aid of the bazaar fund, and was a great success.
Launceston Examiner, 19 May 1888