Presbyterian Church/Scots Church, Hobart

Dscn7331

Rear of 29 Bathurst St, Hobart (closer to Melville St). Google Maps

Opened 1824.
Replaced in 1835 by the larger St Andrews/Scots Church.
Now St Andrews Hall, behind the newer church.

B&W photo

Dscn7347

Hobart Town Gazette, 11 January 1823
Hobart Town Gazette, 11 January 1823

At a numerous and respectable Meeting, held this Day, of the Subscribers and others interested in the Establishment of a PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH in Hobart Town :—

It was cordially and unanimously Resolved,

  • To transmit an ADDRESS to His Excellency the Governor in Chief, soliciting His Patronage and Assistance towards erecting a Church of the above Form of Worship, and for the purpose of establishing the Rev. Archibald Macarthur as Minister thereof.
  • To request His Honor Lieutenant Governor SORELL would be pleased to forward to His Excellency the said Address.

[continued]
Hobart Town Gazette, 15 February 1823

Donations towards erecting a Place of Worships & Annual Subscriptions towards the Minister’s Stipend (Hobart Town Gazette, 26 April 1823)

Hobart Town Gazette, 14 June 1823
Hobart Town Gazette, 14 June 1823

Hobart Town Gazette, 23 April 1824
Hobart Town Gazette, 23 April 1824

Hobart Town Gazette, 23 August 1824
Hobart Town Gazette, 23 August 1824

Hobart Town Gazette, 10 September 1824
Hobart Town Gazette, 10 September 1824

It affords us much pleasure to announce that the first Presbyterian Church erected in these Colonies was opened in the Capital of Van Diemen’s land on last Lord’s Day, at 11 o’clock, with an eloquent, impressive, and appropriate discourse by the Rev. A. McArthur, when HIS HONOR LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR Arthur honoured the congregation with his presence.-The Church, although small, is elegant and commodious. The Rev. Gentleman, who has performed Divine Service during the last twenty months, in a room temporarily fitted up by Government, preached three times on this occasion ; when liberal and handsome collections towards defraying the expence of the building were received, but as several Gentlemen, have since expressed their regret at not having had it in their power to contribute on that day towards so laudable an undertaking, and as the debt incurred is still considerable, we are requested to state, that such persons will have an opportunity of doing so on Sabbath first at eleven in the forenoon two in the afternoon; or six in the evening.
HOBART TOWN GAZETTE, 17 September 1824

Dscn7346

–there will soon be the facility afforded, of a free school-house, when St. Andrew’s Church is opened. The present place of worship, may then be converted into a school. To the schoolmaster, the Government will, as a matter of course, afford a salary, equal to that paid to the masters of the Episcopalian Schools, and make the. usual allowances. The answer to any application, made for this purpose, will, at least, be a test of the understanding of Government, as to the standing of the Presbyterian Church.
The True Colonist, 9 October 1835

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*