Built 1848, in the block bounded by York, Vincent, St John & George St.
In 1851 the [Chalmers] congregation removed to Wycliffe Chapel in Vincent-street-a curiously contrived building at the back of other houses, and approached by passages from York street and Vincent-street. The building and its environment is reminiscent of that old town chapel where Silas Marner worshipped before he went into the country and adopted the little girl that brought him some sorrow. Wycliffe Chapel was built in the long ago by the Rev. Chas. Price, the minister of the Tamar-street Congregational Church, who fronted it in York-street with. two shops, as a sort of endowment. Mr. Price was an Englishman, and was used to places of worship in the old cities of the United Kingdom being hidden away in this fashion. The building of the shops in front was a piece of practical policy. One of these shops is now occupied by a dealer in furniture and second-hand hooks, and sometimes a rare volume is to be picked up in his store. Tho other is used as a cabinetmaker’s shop by the son of the man who, sixty years ago, made the pulpit for Christ Church. Mr. Price meant Wycliffe Chapel as a place of worship for Congregationalists in that part of the town, who were far removed from Tamar-street; but it was superseded by the Princes-square Chapel, from which Christ Church has been evolved. Wycliffe Chapel is now the place of worship of the Plymouth Brethren.
The Mercury, 1 June 1907
Wycliffe Chapel, York-street, Launceston, the property of Rev. C. Price, has been rented by the late lessees of the Gospel Hall, Quadrant; and was opened for religious worship on Queen’s Birthday.
Launceston Examiner, 10 June 1876
RE-OPENING OF WYCLIFFE CHAPEL. There was what was termed in the notice an All-day Service held yesterday at the Wycliffe Chapel, which has been disused as a place of worship for some years. The building belongs to the Rev. C. Price, from whom we believe it has been rented by the parties who occupied the Gospel Hall, in the Quadrant, and for which Wycliffe Chapel is to be substituted. Services commenced at 10 a.m., 3, and 7 p.m., and considering all things, the congregations were good. The proceedings comprised singing revival hymns, addresses, and prayer, in which the Rev. Richard Smith, Church of England clergyman, late of Table Cape, Messrs. Park, Cheek, Gibton, and others took part. The afternoon service was partially occupied as what is termed an Experience meeting, and in that females as well as males engaged.
Launceston Examiner, 25 May 1876
The old Wycliffe Chapel in Vincent street has recently been re-opened for public worship on Sunday evenings by a company of Christians, who purpose holding regular religious services. Last evening Mr George Grove delivered an interesting address to a moderately attended meeting.
Launceston Examiner, 30 May 1892