1841 – 1902
Opened 6 June 1880. In Wellington Street, behind the large Reed Memorial Baptist Church. Originally, a skittle alley occupied the site and this was converted by Henry Reed into a Mission Church with Sunday School. After a couple of years, this was replaced by the current brick structure, which later became the Sunday School building.
It is well known that Launceston is indebted to the late Mr Henry Reed, assisted by his energetic wife, for the excellent design of imparting religious instruction to the poorer classes in the west end of the town, within easy reach of their homes, and in the most attractive form — that is, without any charge whatever. – Daily Telegraph, 1 July 1885
Can be seen in the background of this photo.
Currently (2015) it is operating as Korean Full Gospel Church.
A story in the Examiner, 1935 gives the history of the building:
The hotel which he bought from Mr. Parr (it is still inhabited) was a dilapidated concern with several old stables and coach-houses, and a long shed, which had been used as a skittle alley. Mr. Reed thought it might be made to answer his purpose, as it was situated in the very right position for the work he contemplated (in probably the [?] of the city at the time). It was not until nearly a year after that he saw his way to go forward in the matter, and then he attached the mission to the Wesleyan Church.
He did not build fresh promises at first, but had the long shed cleared out, painted, gas laid on and seats put in. The church work began in July, 1876. It went on for nearly a year, though there was a lack of harmony between the mission and the church to which it was united. Finally they separated.
A Sunday school was commenced in 1877. The work prospered, and it was desirable that the new and more permanent building should stand on the very ground occupied by the skittle alley. In order to do this a temporary place had to be prepared in which to hold the services while the building was being erected, and this was accomplished by clearing out and fitting up some of the old stables on the other side of the yard, where the congregation worshipped for more than 12 months. On June 6, 1880, the new building (the present Sunday school) was opened for service. It was capable of holding three hundred people.
The first Wesleyan Chapel in Launceston, and second place of worship, was opened in 1827 on the site of what is now the Holy Trinity Church of England. It closed the following year due to not having a preacher and was sold to the government, who used the building as a school.
St. John’s Church at Launceston is nearly finished ; and the foundation of the new Wesleyan Chapel was completed last week.
Colonial Times, 16 December 1825
Between £200 and £300 have been subscribed for the erection of a Wesleyan Chapel at Launceston.
Hobart Town Gazette, 4 February 1826
BETHEL CHAPEL. THE want of accommodation for public worship at the wharf, has long been a subject of regret. Services have sometimes been held during summer on the decks of vessels, but no united effort has been made in this town to supply the spiritual destitution of seamen visiting the port. It is seldom that sailors leave their vessels on the Sabbath to enter a church; but a bethel chapel is peculiarly their own; and at Sydney and Hobart Town the attendance is generally good. We are gratified to learn, that his Excellency has acceded to a request recently made, and has sanctioned the erection of a place of worship on the wharf for the use of seafaring men. The chapel will be built by public subscription, on the north side, and immediately adjoining the custom-house shed, and sup plied in rotation by clergymen belonging to various denominations.
Launceston Examiner, 19 July 1845
ERRATUM.-The Bethel Chapel will be erected on the south side of the custom-house shed, and not on the north, as erroneously printed in our last.
Launceston Examiner, 23 July 1845
Cornwall Chronicle, 5 November 1845
The headstones are located behind the church of St James on Hobart Rd, which was opened in 1845. From the LINC Tasmania’s guide to Launceston Cemeteries (PDf file), the first known burial here was William Hartley in 1843
I don’t seem to be able to find any transcriptions of the headstones online.
FRANKLIN Village.-On Monday, at three o’clock, the bishop, attended by the rural dean, (the Rev. R. R. Davies,) and the Revds. Messrs. Stackhouse, Wilkinson, Gibbon, and Dr. Browne, laid the first stone of a building, to be erected for the united purposes of a chapel and school, at Franklin Village; an acre of ground having been given by Mr. Britton Jones for that purpose. There were about three hundred persons present, to whom the bishop delivered an eloquent address, particularly dwelling on the value and importance of scriptural education.
Launceston Examiner, 23 October 1844
At Franklin Village, a church and schoolroom has been built of brick, accommodating about 200 persons. It is proposed to open this edifice at Easter; private subscriptions, aided by the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, have been collected to defray the expenditure.
Launceston Examiner, 26 March 1845
CHURCH AT FRANKLIN VILLAGE.-On Wednesday, the Lord Bishop of Tasmania opened the new Church at Franklin Village. Long before the appointed hour, the little building was crowded. At three o’clock, the Bishop, accompanied by the Rev. R. R. Davies, Rural Dean, and the Revds. A. Stackhouse, Thomas Reibey, J. H. Forster, and George Wilkinson, proceeded to the entrance of the Church, where the inhabitants presented a petition, requesting his Lordship to open the building by license. The license having been read by the Rural Dean, the prayers were read by the Rev. A. Stackhouse, and the Bishop preached from the text, “My house shall be called a house of prayer.” He took occasion in the course of his sermon to express his sorrow at the want of reverence too manifest in many congregations of his church, who continued negligently sitting or standing during the prayers ; and expressed the gratification he felt at witnessing, as he did that day, a whole congregation on bended knees in the appropriate attitude of prayer.
After the sermon, the Bishop, accompanied by the clergy, perambulated the burial ground, and the deed, &c, having been read by the Rural Dean, and inspected by the Bishop, his Lordship proceeded to the consecration of the ground. The sum of 15/. 3s. was collected after the sermon.
Launceston Advertister, 18 April 1845