St George’s Anglican Church, Invermay

Opened 1925 to replace an older building that closed the same year.

Foremost in the list of new churches comes St. George’s new church, Invermay, Launceston. We voice our congratulations to the rector, tho Rev. W. W. Gregson, and his parishioners, on tho successful issue of their effort. The result is most praiseworthy–a fine commodious brick church,’ as yet only partially completed, and not nearly free from debt.
Daily Telegraph, 21 April 1926

In St. George’s Church of England, Invermay, last night, the new altar was dedicated. For the five years since the new church was opened efforts have been made, principally, by several women of the parish, to collect money for a new altar.

The Mercury, 30 April 1931

Continue reading

St Paul’s Anglican Church, Launceston

Opened 12 May 1861.

Demolished 1975 to make way for new Launceston General Hospital building. Parts of the church buildings including the stained glass windows and organ were re-used in St Paul’s at Low Head.
Photos and information about the windows.
Photos and information about the organ

History of church and parish to 1904

Cleveland St, with St Pauls on the left c.1870
Charles St Cemetery with St Pauls in the background

(former) Wesleyan Chapel, Launceston

Built and opened in 1835.
Location on Google Maps

An earlier chapel was built further along the street, just past George St, where the Anglican Holy Trinity Church is now. In the 1860s, the congregation out grew the chapel and a larger church was built next door, which is now the Pilgrim Uniting Church. This former chapel is now the church hall.

From Wikipedia Commons.

Continue reading

(former) Wesleyan Chapel/Uniting Church, St Leonards

PATTERSON’s PLAINS CHAPEL.-This building, erected by the Wesleyans will be opened for divine service, on Sunday next, the 6th December, when the Rev. Mr. Eggleston will preach in the morning at eleven, and in the evening at six o’clock. This place of worship is situated about three miles from town, on the east bank of the North Esk, near Clarke’s Ford: though small, the chapel is a particularly neat specimen of the Italian style, and was designed by Mr. William Archer, junior, of Woolmers, who kindly presented the plan.
The Examiner, 2 December 1846

Continue reading

St Peters Anglican Church, St Leonards

The first Anglican church at St Leonards was opened in 1847.

St. Peter’s Church, Patterson’s Plains.— This neat little edifice, so much required by the settlers at Patterson’s Plains, was opened for divine worship on Sunday last [18 April], and the sum of seven pounds collected in aid of the Building Fund. The church is finished, with the exception of the interior ornaments and fittings, which are intended to lie perfected as soon as possible. We are desired to notice that the Rev. Mr. Williams will officiate there next Sunday.
The Cornwall Chronicle, 21 April 1847

Centenary of opening, 1947

The current larger church was opened in 1869 and consecrated 13 May 1869.

Continue reading