Originally built in 1889 as a Sunday School for the adjoining Wesleyan Chapel.
In 1917, converted to a church. and the older building became the Sunday school.
In another column will be found the programme for the opening of the new Sunday-School building in connection with the Margaret-street Church, which takes place to-morrow. Sermons will be preached in the morning by the Rev. W. Presley, and in the evening at 7 by the Rev. F. Neale. In the afternoon at 3 o’clock a children’s service will be held, comprising short addresses and singing. On the following evening a tea-meeting will be held in the Margaret-street Church at 6.30 and a public meeting will follow in the new school-room, when addresses will be given by ministers and friends.
Daily Telegraph, 22 June 1889
MARGARET-ST. METHODIST CHURCH.
An item of interest to Methodists in Tasmania during the visit of Rev. Scholes, President of the Victorian and Tasmanian Methodist Conference, will be the reopening of the Margaret street Methodist Church in South Launceston. During the past eight months the building has been remodelled internally and an extension made on the west side of the building to accommodate a fine pipe organ by Finchams, of Melbourne, the generous gift of the late Mr John Hart. The seating accommodation, pulpit, and communion rail and choir benches are constructed of fumed Tasmanian oak, the design being both pleasing and be- fitting an edifice set apart for divine worship. The old Margaret-street Church has likewise received attention at the hands of the builders, and with additional and spacious class rooms for the kindergarten and primary classes, is now perhaps the most up-to-date School in Tasmania. The name Margaret-street is a household word amongst Methodists in Tasmania, and old scholars and others, connected with the school and church in the earlier days will be pleased to hear of the progress of the old centre which is now the headquarters of the South Launceston circuit, under the ministration of Rev John Williams late of Sandy Bay Methodist circuit. The opening celebrations commence on Sunday January 27, the President of Conference conducting three services. On Wednesday evening there will be a social reunion of old scholars, to whom a hearty invitation is extended in our advertising columns of to-day. Communications from old scholars and others interested will be welcomed by the Minister Rev John Williams.
The Mercury, 19 January 1819
RECONSTRUCTION AND ALTERATIONS TO THE BUILDING.
For some time past the trustees of the Margaret-street Methodist Church, Launceston, have had under consideration the alternative question of erecting, a new church, or re-modelling and adding to existing buildings, so as to meet the requirements of the recently created separate circuit for South Launceston, which also includes Lawrence Vale and Hadspen, of which headquarters. Mr A. Harold Masters, ?.R.V.LA., architect, was entrusted with the work of going into the whole matter, and after carefully considering several schemes submitted by him the trustees decided upon one of reconstruction and alteration, which, it was thought, would best satisfy all existing requirements, and give ample accommodation for the work of the church and Sunday School for many years to come. One essential condition was the housing of the organ removed some time, ago from the Pater son-street Church, and was the gift of the late Mr John B. Hart, who, fol lowing in his father’s footsteps, always took a great interest in the Margaret- street Church, and was anxious to see this organ being put to good use. It is regrettable that he did not live to see his wishes in this matter materialise
As now altered the old church building in Margaret-street (erected in 1858 and for many years known as the Wesleyan Chapel) will be used for all Sunday School purposes, and also for concerts and other meetings of a social nature. A new porch has been added to the Margaret-street entrance. The hall itself has been thoroughly renovated and refitted with the school seating and other furniture removed from the Balfour-street building. At the back of the school hall alterations and a two-storeyed addition have been made, which gives downstairs a primary class room, secretary’s room, a fire proof cement concrete stairs, also store, passage, and scullery for social requirements. The whole of the upper floor will be devoted to the kindergarten work, the main room being 30ft by 22ft, with a 12ft x 12ft alcove. also store and separate sanitary accommodation. The rooms are replete with miniature chairs, tables, sand trays, etc., and the furniture, including wall cabinets, doors, windows, etc., is of ammonia fumed Tasmanian hardwood.
The Balfour-street building will in future be used exclusively for church purposes. A brick extension has been built on the west side of the church, containing a large choir and organ chamber, vestry, choir assembly room, and two entrance lobbies. The new organ chamber opens into the church, by a large cement concrete arch, the pilasters, cornice, and other mouldings, of which are finished in Keen’s cement, and left all white. The body of the church has been repeated on the circular principle, and the central pulpit, choir front, communion rail, baptismal font, communion table, and all seats have been carried out to special designs in Tasmanian hardwood, ammonia fumed, and beeswax polished. The seat. ends have carved arm rests, and a carved panel. The organ has been built in its new position with some improvements, but, on the advice of Messrs. Fincham, of Melbourne, the original builders of the instrument, the proposed pneumatic action manual to be operated from a position in front of the choir, also side additions to the pipe irons, and additional stops have been deferred for several months, so that the organ has been re-erected much as before, but with an electric motor driven wind turbine. The acoustic properties of the new building have proved themselves to be excellent. The whole building has been effectively electric lighted, and many minor improvements have been made to both the buildings and grounds that should cause the members of the congregation and Sunday scholars to take an increasing interest in their good work, which will in the future be carried on under altogether more favorable conditions. As evidence of the interest already manifested many per sons have generously assisted the trustees by donations of furnishings, etc. As a result if publicly called tenders the contract was let to Messrs. Hindan, Wright, and Manser, contractors of Launceston, who are now putting the finishing touches to their work. The church is to be officially opened next Sunday by Rev. S. Scholes (president of the Victoria and Tasmania Conference), in three special services, followed by suitable demonstrations next week, which will he fully advertised in Saturday’s issue.
Daily Telegraph, 24 January 1918
There were dozens of old “boys” and “girls’ at the re-opening services of the Margaret-street Methodist Church yesterday. They had come from many different centres to the old spot where memories cling, and there were many happy reunions. The Margaret-street church has recently been made the head of a new recruit–the South Launceston circuit-and now, with a new and up to-date church building, a wonderfully well-fitted up Sunday school, the future buds with promise, and should blossom as the rose. Though joyousness seemed to abound at the celebrations yester day, the joy was “touched with pain” for many present, for everywhere in the building, were fittings which had been donated in memory of old members and scholars who, in the great war, as Lowell put it, “went, and who return not.”. For instance, the minister’s chair, a communion table, and a baptismal font, all beautifully made of ammonia fumed Tasmanian hardwood, given by an old Margaret-street Sunday school teacher, were in memory of three gallant boys who have made the supreme sacrifice in defence of the Empire. The pipe organ, too, the gift of the late Mr John Hart, was also reminiscent of a recent loss to Tasmanian Methodism.
Examiner, 28 January 1918