St James Anglican Church, Colebrook

Anglican St James of Jerusalem
Opened 1884.
Location: Google Maps


The consecration of the new building recently erected by the Church of England, at Jerusalem, took place yesterday. Until now the congregation have had to content themselves with very meagre accommodation. Many years ago the large chapel erected for the convict station which existed at Jerusalem in the olden days, was used as a place of worship, and as it originally held some 800 prisoners, it was amply sufficient in point of dimensions for the reduced requirements of the place. This building, however, fell into sad disrepair some years ago, and after lying useless for a long time, was purchased the other day from the church trustees by Mr. W. Rumney, who has converted it into a barn – a purpose for which it is admirably adapted. During recent years the services of the Church of England (held here fortnightly) have been held in a small weatherboard tenement adjoining the reserve upon which the new church now stands, and which building, in the days of its prime, was used as a schoolhouse. A new church has been talked of for very many years. Forty-three years ago, one old resident asserted, the excavations for a foundation had been made in the vicinity of the present building, but nothing further was done.

The church which was consecrated yesterday was commenced about 13 months ago. It stands on between two and three acres of land in the centre of the township, and is a substantial freestone structure, of no great architectural pretensions, but well adapted for its purpose. It has chancel, vestry, and belfry complete, and though the bell that hangs in the belfry at present tells its tale with much timidity, it will doubtless send forth a more certain voice when it becomes accustomed to its surroundings, and feels that it has a right to be heard. The interior of the church is neatly furnished and fitted up, and has altogether, a very creditable appearance. The pulpit, reading desk, communion table, etc., are not highly ornamented, but are quite in keeping with the rest of the structure. Tho church will seat about 250 persons comfortably, and has been erected at a cost of about £800.
The Mercury, 14 March 1884

Colebrook Check

Henry Reed Memorial Baptist Church, Wellington St, Launceston

Opened 3 July 1885 as a Christian Mission Church, to replace the smaller building that is now behind. Later became a Baptist Church. Now (2015) operating as a Gateway Baptist Church, with the Korean Full Gospel Church behind.

Photo: late 19th century
Wellington St, showing church in context


To-day will see the consummation of the work begun by the late Mr Henry Reed for providing a suitable place of worship for the congregation he drew together during the later years of his life. The building is worthy of its object, and as one of the principal edifices of its kind, will attract praise from all who visit it, whether townspeople or visitors, both for its style of architecture, and the chars iter . of the workmanship evidenced in all its details. Designed by Mr F. Tyson, its foundation stone was laid nearly two years ago, on July 19, 1883, by Mr J. L. Smith, of Cambock, in the presence of a large number of members of the Mission Church. To-night it will be open to the public for the first time, after a tea meeting, held in the adjoining Pavilion shortly after 5 o’clock, its inauguration as a place of divine worship being celebrated by a number of addresses from Pastor Hiddlestone and the leading members associated with him
Daily Telegrah, 3 July 1885
Continue reading

St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Launceston

Website & Facebook page

Opened 1850, to replace the Scottish National Church in lower Charles St.


THE FOUNDATION STONE of the Launceston “St. Andrew’s” has been laid : the work is in rapid progress, and at no remote day will be opened for the celebration of divine service. The presbyterians of this town were too long content with a place of worship inferior in every respect to that of any other denomination. But they awakened from their lethargy, and now aspire to occupy a public building which will be the most conspicuous ornament in the north. The munificence of some of the subscribers merits praise : they have come foward in a spirit of liberality which reflects honor on the profession they make. But the sum to be expended far exceeds the amount guaranteed; and although the building committee have faith in the result, we should be gratified to see them relieved from a responsibility too onerous for individuals to discharge. Let every presbyterian, how ever humble, put the question to himself: what more can I afford for the cost of this fabric ? and especially let the prosperous in that communion, both in Launceston and elsewhere; consider seriously what they can spare for the work. The building in which service is now conducted, with the land attached, would sell for a considerable sum, and should its alienation be necessary, we trust the lieutenant-governor will not refuse his assent. We hope this will be conceded, and that the presbyterians will be left at liberty to dispose of their abandoned place worship, and to apply the proceeds in liquidation of the debt, which after all their exertions must be incurred for the new and beautiful edifice.
Launceston Examiner, 27 October 1849
Continue reading