107 Wellington St, Longford. Google maps.
Closed & demolished with opening of new church in High St, 1880
Sunday School constructed on site c.1902
Now privately owned.
The Longford Methodist Church, or, as it was then known, the Wesleyan Methodist Society, was founded in 1834 at a meeting convened by Rev. J. A. Manton, of Launceston, and held in a barn on a farm adjoining Northbury. The first enrolled was Mr. William Mason, grandfather of the present families of that name associated with the church. The next was Mrs. George Gould, and the last surviving member of that little band was Mrs. J. Bonner, of Scottsdale, who died in 1923 at the age of 92 years.
Progress was rapid, and Mr. Man ton later wrote: “At the town of Longford, in the district of Norfolk Plains, our prospects are very encouraging. We are building there a good, substantial chapel.” This chapel was opened in 1837, free of debt. According to Mr. Manton, “The congregation was large and respect able and the collection very good amounting to £350.” At the end of 1848 Longford was created a circuit separate from Launceston.
Two years previously the first Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School had been commenced at Longford, but it was not until after the union of the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist Churches that the present Sunday School was erected. This building stands on the site of the first Wesleyan Chapel, which after 40 years began to show signs of decay and was replaced by a new church building in 1880.
The Examiner, 9 June 1934
NORFOLK PLAINS. — On Tuesday last, the new Wesleyan Chapel at Longford was opened for public worship. The building is a very neat erection capable of accommodating 300 persons. A Sermon was preached on the occasion by the Rev. Mr. BUTTERS, Wesleyan Missionary, from Hobart Town. The collection after the service, in aid of the expenses incurred in building, amounted to £350. — Was any proof wanting of the superiority of the Voluntary over the Compulsory System, we think it would he furnished in the present instance.
Launceston Advertiser, 6 July 1837
The Wesleyan community at Longford have commenced the erection of a new church, which is to be completed in rather more than six months from this date. The old one is being pulled down, so that the services will have to be conducted in the Assembly Room till the new church is ready for use.
Launceston Examiner, 29 October 1879
[The new church] is erected in the stead of one built A.D. 1837, opposite the Wesleyan Parsonage in Wellington street, and which has been taken down. The last service held in the old building was a missionary service, 12 October 1879. The last occasion on which it was used was on the following Monday evening when a meeting for the advocacy of foreign missions were held
The Tasmanian, 20 December 1879
Since the union of the Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan churches the accommodation at the Sunday-school has been greatly taxed, as there are 170 scholars now on file roll. It was decided, after plans had been submitted, to erect a new building in front of the old one, the dimensions of which will be 40ft x 22ft. An end view of the building will show two large windows and a porch on the side, facing the street, giving it a very neat appearance. Messrs. J. and T. Gunn have the contract, the cost of which will be £316.
Daily Telegraph, 17 February 1902