The Union Chapel, near the Cemetery, was built in 1858 on half an acre given by Mr Joseph Davies for a place of public worship and shared by the Protestants for many years. Parts of the old Government House in Hobart were used in the construction. In 1884 the Church of England withdrew to build St Simon and St Jude. The Wesleyans continued to worship there till the major bushfire of 1897 when the chape was burnt. Today the old cemetery marks the site and the lives of first settlers.
After the 1897 fires Mr George Miles gave this land for the Methodists to build a new church. Home Missionary Mr A.R. Pratt lead the people and despite losing orchards, farms and buildings donations rolled in. The foundation stones were laid on April 17, 1898 and the first service was on July 17, 1898 in 3 months! This classic C19 building retains its high ceilings, lovely untouched Baltic pine lining, and some original oil lamps.
The new Methodist Church became the centre of community life. Sunday School was vital, and country people were expert in entertaining themselves. An extra hall was added in 1923, with a kitchen — electric power had just arrived! There concerts and films, socials, young men’s camp-outs, flower shows, lunches for school children, with apple pies, strawberries and cream, weddings, funerals, and magnificent harvest festival And we still have great Community choirs — Christmas Eve and other times!