Methodist/Uniting Church, Exeter


Open 1916.
108 West Tamar Highway. Google maps.
Photo 1955


The Methodists of Exeter held their first working bee on Saturday afternoon. Good work was done in clearing the site for the new Methodist Church in Main Street. Afternoon tea was provided by Mrs. R. Davidson. On Sunday the Rev. L. I. Perkins preached in the Exeter Hall to good congregation.
The Examiner, 13 July 1915


Six or seven years ago the place where the township of Exeter now stands was but a bush road. Now it appears as a prosperous little township, and all its surrounding district has been cut up into orchards. Two years ago the Launceston Methodist Circuit placed a young minister down the Tamar to supply the spiritual requirements of these growing districts, and, as a result of his work, last Sunday a new church was opened at Exeter, the first to be erected in the town. The building is a splendid one. It is situated in a high and central spot, and is clearly visible from each of the four roads which meet in Exeter. The opening services had been eagerly looked forward to, and when at mid day on Sunday the rain began to fall, those interested were filled with disappointment. Although towards 3 o’clock the rain was falling very heavily, and no signs of abating, still the people flocked along Everyone was somewhat wet, but everyone was happy, and be fore the service was commenced the seating accommodation was filled. Forms were placed along the aisle and in the front porch, so if the weather had kept fine the problem would have been where to put the people, for many were unable to be present who purposed at tending. It is estimated that 150 were present. Among them were the Warden of the Beaconsfield municipality (Mr. T. G. Brown) and other councillors.
The Examiner, 15 March 1916



The ceremonies in connection with the opening of the Exeter Methodist Church were further continued on Wednesday, when a tea meeting was held in the Exeter Hall, followed by a musical entertainment in the church, and concluding with a coffee supper at the hall. The occasion was somewhat marred by rain falling. About 200 people sat down to tea. At the church afterwards an entertainment, enjoyable in every way, was given. The programme was contributed by a number of the members of the Patterson street Methodist choir, under the direction of Mr. H. J. Rushfirth.
The Examiner, 18 March 1916

Leave a Reply