West Parade, Deloraine. Google maps.
Opened 5 December 1880.
Mr Jas. Hills’s contract for the erection of a Baptist Church here has been accepted, and operations will be commenced forthwith. The building when completed will be an ornament to the township, and a lasting testimony to the munificence of W. Gibson, Esq., at whose sole cost it is to be erected.
Launceston Examiner, 12 April 1880
The foundation stone of a Baptist Tabernacle has been laid at Deloraine, and also at Longford, both being largely indebted to the liberality of Messrs Wm. Gibson, senr., and junr.
Launceston Examiner, 24 June 1880
Notwithstanding the bad times, our little town is showing signs of improvement. There are some good buildings in course of erection. Mr Hills has just completed a large brick shop and residence for Mr Harris, and the Baptist Tabernacle is growing daily under the same hands. Mr Burt is going to add a wing to the Deloraine Hotel. A brick shop and residence, for Mr Jeremiah Brown, has just been completed by Mr Houlder. Several cottages are also newly erected and in course of erection.
Launceston Examiner, 14 August 1880
It had been intended that the opening of our now Tabernacle here should be celebrated by a tea-meeting, but after the ladies had commenced their arrangements for the latter part of the programme it was found the building would not be completed. It was therefore decided to goon with the tea-meeting, though as Mr Spurgeon said at it, this was rather “putting the cart before the horse,” and he advised the friends to have another at the opening. The tea-meeting was held on Tuesday last, which fortunately was delightfully fine, and about 150 persons sat down to a bountiful spread provided by the ladies. A public meeting was afterwards held, at which about 400 persons were present, and which was considered one of the most successful ever held at Deloraine. The chair was occupied by Mr Thomas Spurgeon, and addresses were delivered by Messrs Williamson, of Perth; M’Cullough, of Longford; Stokes, of Carrick; and Wood, from Adelaide, the interest being maintained by the various speakers to the close of the meeting. An efficient choir of ladies rendered several of Sankey’s hymns during the evening, the accompaniments being given on a new Estey cabinet organ, presided over by Mr F. Clark.
The new organ is to be used in the services of the Tabernacle, and a collection was made in aid of the fund (inclusive of the tea). It is expected that about £10 was realised.
Although the Tabernacle has been built at the cost of Mr W. Gibson, the current expenses and the support of the minister will have to be provided by the attendants upon the services. If the successful and enthusiastic meeting was a criterion, then it will not fail of being accomplished.
Launceston Examiner, 23 November 1880
Sunday, the 5th of Dec., was a day long to be remembered by the people of Deloraine. As announced during the week, the opening of the Deloraine Tabernacle took place on that day. The morning was beautifully fine, and half an hour before the time appointed a large number of people had gathered round the Tabernacle. When the doors were opened, the seats were soon occupied ; more seats having to be provided by placing forms along the passages. Some estimated the number of people present at between 300 and 400.
Launceston Examiner, 8 December 1880