The company then adjourned to the new church, where the ceremony of laying the foundation-stone was performed by Mr. Mace, Rostrevor, the service being gone through by the Rev. C. Power. A collection was made, and £31 were collected on the stone. Sufficient notice of the time when the ceremony would be performed had not been given, or the collection would have been larger, it is a very long time now since Mr. Mace first began to agitate for a church at Triabunna, and it was not until the arrival of the Rev. Mr, Power that anything tangible came of it ; but going out of the district for subscriptions, they were met with liberality–a lesson to the people in it–that induced them to call for tenders, and a site having been generously given by Mrs. Aubin, a contract was entered into with Mr. Robinson, who is building it with white freestone from Okehampton quarry, the masonry stone and design being in keeping. The stone was in the porch door, and was considered by experts not to be surpassed. When the proceedings in connection with the laying of the stone were over, all present adjourned to a tent opposite, whore a grand feast was prepared and sports entered into.
The Mercury, 22 December 1880
THE NEW CHURCH.
Some time ago you published a brief account of the laying of the foundation stone of the proposed new church at Triabunna. Many wore of opinion that it never would he completed, but thanks to the energy and perseverance of the collectors, the Rev. C. Power and Mr. G. A. Mace, the original design has been oxtonded, and the chancel and vestry added to the contract. This has increased the liabilities very much, but I feel certain had those in other places–for few of the district residents have subscribed as yet–there is no doubt they would be so pleased with the building and the manner in which the contract is being carried out, that they would freely give liberally, in order that the church would be free from debt. Not being equal to the task of giving a technical description of it, your readers must imagine what is called a gem of pure white freestone, elaborately cut and artistically carved. Built of pure white freestone, solid and grand it looks ; the door arch is just completed ; all the front windows are also. The chancel arch is not finished, but the whole of the work looks more like a picture than actual builder’s work. Looking at it as you cross the Woodstock bridge, the first idea you have, is that it would be a good plan to move it bodily when completed, and lay it down in some of the large cities of the colonies, when it would be soon one of the lions of the place, and worthily so.
The Mercury, 22 August 1881
The new church at Spring Bay, or Triabunna, as it now called, was opened for divine service on Friday, the 2nd inst., by the Dean of Hobart (the Very Rev. H. B. Bromby), assisted by the Rev. C. W. Power and local incumbent, the Rev. H. Hancock. There was a goodly muster upon the occasion, the church being quite full.
The Mercury, 23 February 1883
The church is in the English style, with nave, chancel and vestry. The front door, being set in a series of worked arches, splendidly cut in the finest white freestone, has a grand effect. The length of the nave is 40ft., of the chancel 22ft., and the pitch of the chancel arch 22ft. The chancel arch, oriel window and door arch are fin specimens of stone-cutting. There are five two-light colored windows in the nave, on three-light in the vestry, two three-light of stained glass in the chancel, and the oriel window, the glass for which has not arrived yet. Inside the church, the first thing attracts the attention of the visitor is the altar. It is of pur white stone, beautifully and delicately cut by Mr. Richards. This was the first of the Rev. C. W. Power. Next comes the font, by the same artist, the gift of Mr Wm. Lester, Oakhampton, the cutting on which was much admired by the visitors. It so pleased the dean that he is reported to have ordered another like it. The furniture and fittings are in harmony with the rest of the building, and have a complete and neat appearance.
The Mercury, 23 February 1883