Bryan St, Invermay. Google Maps.
Opened 21 February 1892.
Later a Uniting Church following the amalgamtion of churches to create the Uniting Church of Australia. Sold about 2000 and became Palpung Kagyu Thigsum Chokyi Ghatsal Tibetan Buddhist Institute.
First six photos are from 2012. Later photos, without fence, from 2005.
Internal photos are from the Rotary Club’s Doors Open Day in 2009.
To go in, you have to go along this side bit and the door is around the back.
Opened 1837. Apparently extended 1859. (Addition of tower/entrance?).
Sign in front of the tree says:
St John The Evangelist
Australia’s Oldest Existing Catholic Church
1st & 3rd Sunday of the month 8.30am
2nd, 4th & 5th Sunday of the month 11am
Thomas Reibey of nearby Entally at various times archdeacon of Launceston, state politician & premier, started building this church in 1868 but stopped after a couple of years. And it sat like this for most of the next century — just walls. It was finally completed and opened in 1961.
The lighter rows of stone in the top of the wall are the newer part.
Just off the highway at Buckland, formerly Prosser’s Plains. Google Maps.
Foundation stone laid 1846. Consecrated 1850.
This little church is best known for its large window which is claimed to date to the 14th century. The myths surrounding the window are looked at in a post on the Stained Glass Australia site. While the window isn’t 14th century, the design of the church is.
Better photos & some background.
Risk of closure
The headstones are around and in front of the church.
Consecrated 1823. Originally constructed 1825-1829 (yellow tower & entrance section) with substantial additions in the early 20th century.
Centenary 1925, with history of the church.
Secrets of 190-year-old Launceston church