** Star Inn/Hotel

Charles St, Launceston. Google Maps.

Very incomplete

1840-41 Bernard Sweeney, Star Inn [transfer]
1842-49 Bernard Sweeny, Star Inn, Charles Street
1850-54 Mary Sweeney, Star Inn, Charles street
1854 John Joseph Moore, Star Inn, Charles Street
1854 Henry Bevan, Star Inn, Charles Street
1854-59 John Joseph Moore, Star Inn, Charles Street [new]
1859-60- John Sheridan

1870- Charles Cooley, Star Hotel, Charles-street

-1877-1885 William Chester

1885-1890- Hannah Chester, Star Hotel, Charles-street


Charles St, 1885, with Star Hotel on the far right.

(November 2015)


From “Launceston Police Report”:
This was an information brought on by the Chief Constable against the defendant, the landlord of the Star Inn, Charles street, for neglecting to keep his outer door closed on the evening of the 12th March last. Mr. Rocher, who appeared for the defence, endeavoured to have an informality in the information, which the bench overruling, the case proceeded. The evidence in support of the information stated, that Mr. Byron und two petty constables went to the house of the defendant between seven and eight o’clock on Sunday evening, the 12th of March last, and that in one room there were no less than ten soldiers drinking and smoking, five pots and eleven glasses being on the table, containing as the witness supposed, malt liquor. In another apartment, a prisoner of the crown, employed in the marine department, was quietly seated, taking his wine and water, in company with a ticket of leave-man, who, it was stated, resided at Mr. Sweeney’s. The evidence for the information having been gone through, Mr. Rocker insisted that nothing wag proved against his client respecting not keeping his outer door closed— had the’ charge been for tippling, it would have been different. ..The Bench would not admit of Mr. Rocher’s objection, but called upon him to prove, if he could, that the parties were bona fide travellers or guests of the landlord. Nothing daunted «t the difficulty, Mr. Rocher proceeded with his case, and called first the government man that was taken out of the house (and who appears to be a, man of good character,) ,. and fully proved that the said1 man was there by Mr. Sweeney’s
invitation to dinner, &c. and was bona fide a visitor. To overcome the military part of the business, Mr. Rocher called one of the soldiers, who stated that himself and some of his comrades called at Mr. Sweeney’s on the evening in question, and requested to be served with liquor; that Mr. Sweeney declared his inability to serve on a Sun day, but, being an old soldier himself, he would not see them want for a glass of beer, and as he could not sell them any, why, out of regard to the cloth, he would make them a present of a gallon of ale, and accordingly it was in the midst of their enjoying the said ale, that Mr. Byron and his deputies popped suddenly upon them. No money was paid for the beer so drank, and several of the party were to corroborate the witness, if necessary. The Bench felt inclined to believe the defence. Captain Gardiner sagely remarking, that no doubt Mr. Sweeney was throwing out a sprat to catch a salmon. — The case was accordingly dismissed.

Launceston Courier, 27 March 1843

Census entry, 1843 (CEN1/1/67)

BERNARD SWEENEY, grateful lo his friends and the public generally far the liberal support given him for several years past, in soliciting a continuance of their favours, begs most respectfully to intimate that, in addition to the previous accommodations, he has made extensive alterations, amongst which are four capital well-furnished bed-rooms.
Also, a large sitting-room, well adapted for the reception of a family from the country, or commercial gents, who may have private business to transact. There is an excellent five-stalled stable, with gig houses, A careful ostler always in attendance.
N.B.— Country settlers will find the “Star Inn” well adapted for a temporary residence. Parties boarded by the day or week.
B. S. is determined to spare neither pains nor expense to deserve the patronage of his friends, feeling assured that a strict attention to business, punctuality, and au earnest desire to promote the comfort of his customers, will ensure the support it will be his study to deserve, and pride to acknowledge.
October 28.

Cornwall Chronicle, 30 October 1847

Census entry, 1848 (CEN1/1/99)

Death, Bernard Sweeney, 2 December 1849, RGD 35/1/16 no 117
Marriage, Mary Sweeny & John Joseph Moore, 12 February 1854RGD37/1/13 no 1004
Hobarton Guardian, 29 March 1854

From Mary Sweeney, Star Inn, Charles-street, to John Joseph Moore. The police magistrate intimated that since the annual meeting Mrs. Sweeney had been married to Mr. Moore. Transfer granted.
Hobarton Guardian, 6 May 1854

From “Transfer Day”:
From John Joseph Moore to Henry Bevan, “Star Inn,” Charles street. The chairman enquired if applicant understood that the transfer could only be granted to the end of the year; to which Major Welman replied – “Sure he is one of the government officers, and he knows.” Granted.
Launceston Examiner, 7 November 1854

From “Annual Meeting of the Justice of the Peace”:
John Joseph Moore, “Star Inn”.—-The Police Magistrate stated he knew of no objection to this application, save one started a few days ago viz. : that there was a shop containing a few books and stationery attached to the premises. He had visited the premises very recently, and it appeared to him that the shop was a very temporary affair, and there was no communication with it from the house ; only through the back yard.
The Chairman read the 35th. clause of the Act referring especially to this point. Dr. Casey said he should oppose this application, he drew attention to the abstract impropriety of the Act : being evaded by allowing a shop to be kept on the premises of a licensed house. The applicant was the Editor of an inflamatory Newspaper, and this shop was kept as an office and for the sale of the Papers in direct violation of the Act of Council in it was part of the premises of the Star Inn. He knew nothing could be. advanced against the house it had a considerable country connection ; he did not object to the proprietor, and only made the remarks for the public benefit and in a spirit of equity.
Mr. Moore requested permission to state that the clause of the Act referred to, had nothing to do with the granting of the License; had he been brought up, and convicted at any time of a violation of the law, it would be a different matter. Dr. Casey had made two charges against him, it was only necessary to refer to the first, that of keeping a shop for the sale of newspapers. Mr. Moore declared that no paper nor anything else had ever been sold there, and explained the position, the shop had originally been a passage to the back premises, this he had temporarily roofed over, and placed a window in the front where he exhibited his newspaper for, the benefit of poor persons who could not afford to purchase one, and he regretted, that any gentleman upon the bench could make a statement that was not true. Who had ever bought a paper in’ the shop? he defied Dr. Casey to prove what he said on the bench In reply to Captn. Drew, Mr. Moore said that neither he nor any one else ever entered that shop for the purpose of buying a paper. After some discussion amongst the magistrates the license, with the exception of Dr. Casey’s vote, was unanimously granted.
The People’s Advocate, 3 December 1855

From “Annual Licensing Meeting”:
John Joseph Moore, Star Inn. Dr. Casey drew attention to the thirty.-fifth section of the Act, which prohibits the keeper of a licensed house from having a shop on his premises. ‘That prohibition applied to the applicant, who had a shop adjoining his house, and it certainly applied to such an objectionable occupation as that of editor of an Inflammatory newspaper. After some discussion as to whether the shop formed part of the premises in the sense Intended by the Act, Mr. Moore stated that It had no connection with the house, and was merely used as a paper store, and not for the sale of newspaper or stationery. In reply to Major Welman, the chairman stated that the Act did not prohibit a holder of a license from following any other occupation. Captain Drew was of opinion that as no Information laud been laid against the applicant on the ground referred to, the license ought to be granted, which was accordingly done.
Launceston Examiner, 4 December 1855

From “The Municipal Assessment”:
J. J. Moore,; “Star Inn,” Charles-street, 2001. Mr. Moore submitted that he was over rated, both as to the value of the premises and by comparison with properties in the same street. The Mayor said 60l. had been added for improvements, but the amount was the same as at the last assessment. Mr. Moore said he had intended to have appealed last year, but was too late. Alderman Weedon observed that the promises at the corner of Charles and Patterson-streets, occupied by Mr. Davis, were assessed at the rate of 1301., although far inferior to Mr. Moore’s. Reduced to 1601.
Launceston Examiner, 1 April 1856

From “Licensing Meeting”:
Star Inn, from J. J. Moore to John Sweeney.
Mr. Rocher appeared for the applicant and stated the ground of the application as being to protect the license, Mr. Moore having left the colony, and not being likely to return.
Some discussion took place as to the power of the bench to grant a transfer in the absence of the holder of a license, it being the opinion of several justices that
they had not the power.
Mr. Rocher withdrew the application.
Launceston Examiner, 3 May 1859

Launceston Examiner, 26 May 1859

Mr Wecdon sold at his rooms yesterday, the following property of the late D Robertson, Esq:—The Star Inn property to Mr John Sheridan, for £1610; Mr Ward’s shoe shop to Mr Wm Stepney, £960; the allotment in the rear to Mr John Sheridan, £345 ; the property adjoining the Black Horse, in Wellington street, to Mr John Cameron, £510; allotment (lot 8) with house, Mr D Room, £500 ; lot 6, Mr P Miller, £270; two small allotments at the rest, £20 cash. The Brisbane street property was sold to Mr John Knight for £505; allotment of two acres at George Town, to Mr W Johnstone for £100.
Hobart Town Advertiser, 4 June 1859

Launceston Examiner, 4 August 1885

** Ship Inn (5)


(Dates to come)

1860 John Mason, Ship Inn, Wharf

Cornwall Chronicle, 4 January 1860

Mr. Jn. Mason, landlord of the “Ship Inn,” Queen’s Wharf, with his usual liberality, and with the view of encouraging healthy and harmless athletic amusements, has given a reward or prize of a very handsome pair of mounted pistols, to be rowed for in three Watermen’s boats, (Sisters, Green Linnet, and Jubilee), by some of his amateur aquatic friends at five o’clock this evening. The boats to start from Green’s Wharf round the second pile in Tea Tree Reach and pull back to Green’s Wharf. From the known skill of the pullers and aptitude of the little coxswaine, an interesting half hour’s contest is anticipated.
Cornwall Chronicle, 28 January 1860

The Annual Licensing Meetings will be held on Monday next. Amongst the application is one from Alfred Stephen Harris for a license to the house at the corner of Bathurst and York-streets, formerly “Lamb and Flag.” Mr Hely intends to alter the designation of “The Ship Inn,” Wharf, to that of “The Duke of Edinburgh,” and Mr Walter Harris intends to alter the title of his new premises at the corner of Charles and Patterson-streets from “The Turf Hotel” to “The Plough Inn.”
Cornwall Chronicle, 30 November 1867

** International Hotel (1)

North side of Brisbane Mall. Google Maps, approximate location.

– 1873 Coker
1873- Michael Cleary
-1883- William Throw
1886 Changed
-1890- George William Barber, International Hotel, Brisbane-street

International Hotel, 1891
Courtyard, 1891
(old links, might not work)
International Hotel, 1891

From “Quarterly Licensing Meeting”
Thomas Coker. In respect of the house situate in Brisbane-street, and to be called the “International Hotel.”
Mr Superintendent Coulter said he had examined the premises, the alterations in which had just been completed. The hotel would consist of thirty-seven rooms, and would afford more accommodation and of a better class than any other hotel in town.
Mr Adye Douglas, who represented the applicant, said that the premises were doubtless well-known to all the magistrates present. The hotel would be of a first-class character and could not come under the category of in-creasing the number of “drinking houses” in town. The applicant, Mr Coker, was well-known in Victoria where he had long success-fully conducted a good hotel. He believed it was Mr Coker’s intention to start a similar hotel in Hobart Town. In reply to Mr Turnbull, Mr Douglas said the hotel here would be conducted under Mr Coker’s personal supervision.
Mr Mason was of opinion that the “International” would be just the class of hotel required to put an end to inferior houses.
There being no opposition; the licence was granted.
Launceston Examiner,2 May 1871

Launceston Examiner, 6 May 1871
Launceston Examiner, 22 August 1871

Billiard License.— A billiard license was granted to Mr Thomas Cokcr, of the International Hotel, until the end of the year.
Cornwall Chronicle, 28 August 1871

The Mercury, 5 March 1872

Colonel Shaw’s lectures — excellent though they be — have not prevented the publicans preparing as well as other sinners some acceptable offerings for Christmas. The manager at the International. Hotel has actually offered bottles containing Reisling, Mosel Mousseu, Pedro Xinenes (whoever he is), geneva, rum, brandy, “Scotch whuskey,” the real “Glenlivet,” and other terrible alcoholic productions by the bottle, at reduced prices, during the Christmas holidays. And these bottles containing such noxious ingredients are decorated with ferns, real holly with the red berries on, and are made to look very cool, tempting, and harmless.
The Tasmanian, 30 December 1871

This splendid band performed in the courtyard of the International Hotel from 8 to 10 o’clock on Monday evening, but the crowd made so free by stopping up the gateway and thoroughfare on the foot path it was found necessary to close the massive gates–the band continuing to play inside.
The Tasmanian, 10 February 1872

The International Hotel. — This hotel, the largest and most complete in the colony, has been taken by Mr M. A. Cleary, of the Cornwall Hotel. The Cornwall is, we understand to be disestablished, and converted into a chemist’s and druggist’s shop. Mr Cleary has succeeded in attracting a good hotel business to quite a new house, the Cornwall, and he is therefore the more likely to succeed in conducting the larger adjoining establishment, the International Hotel.
Cornwall Chronicle, 4 April 1873

“THE INTERNATIONAL.” We understand it is probable that Mr M.A. Cleary will take this admirable hotel in succession to Mr Coker. Should this arrangement be carried out, the Cornwall Hotel, in conducting which Mr Cleary has became favorably known, will once more revert to its original character, that of on ordinary shop.
Examiner, 5 April 1873

Payment of Wages.-Thomas Haines proceeded against William Ignatius Thrower, of the International Hotel, to recover £10 14s alleged to be due to him as wages. Thomas Haines stated he was engaged in Melbourne by a Mrs Brown to come to Launceston at a salary of £1 per week, as waiter in the defendant’s hotel ; he produced the agreement drawn up for him by Mrs Brown for three months ; he came to Launceston, his fare being paid optionally by the defendant, and commenced work on the 12th July; after working for nine days Mr Thrower gave him a week’s notice to quit, which witness refused to take ; he left however when the week expired, and asked for the money due to him ; all that was offered was 6s for a week and two days’ work, £1 being deducted for the fare from Melbourne. Witness sued for wages due for the three as months, as per agreement. William Ignatius Thrower asserted he gave Mrs Brown no authority to engage the complainant for three months; the merely sent her a telegram as follows:-“Send by Mangana competent waiter, unmarried ; £1 per week; dress coat indispensable;” witness had agreed with the complainant that there should be a week’s notice on either side; previous to leaving the plaintiff was not a competent waiter, and had refused to wear his dress coat at table on several occasions. The Bench decided to dismiss the case.
Examiner, 3 August 1881

Hotel Changes. — The present season, though a dull one, is only the harbinger of more stirring times, if we may judge from the high prices at which several hotels in Launceston have of late changed hands. The Launceston Hotel, which was last year sold for £6500, has passed into the hands of Mr J. Huston, late of the Criterion Hotel, for £7500. This sum includes a new building in course of erection at the rear of the hotel, in place of the old wooden portion of the hotel that used to exist at the back of the premises. The lease of the Criterion Hotel has passed into the hands of Mr A. Deleuse at a good rental, and now the old Brisbane Hotel will lose the owner who has so long conducted it, Mr J. W. Simmons having sold it to Mr E. H. Panton for £7000, including the fittings, though exclusive of the furniture, and in another month will vacate it. His departure will make the hotel seem strange to those who have frequented it for many years past, while it will also lose its present homely appearance, and be transferred into a more modern-looking hotel by means of a verandah and balcony in front and extensive additions at the rear where the present yard is. A further change will be made known to-day regarding another leading hotel, the International, in the same street, Five tenders have been received by the trustees, Messrs. Douglas, Collins, and Davis, for the lease of the hotel, and these will be opened and the successful tenderer selected to-day. In George-street, Mr J. Edwards, formerly landlord of the Globe Hotel, has this week entered on a lease of the Royal Exchange Hotel, and other changes are reported as likely to take place.
Daily Telegraph, 21 May 1886

** Fire Brigade Hotel

170 Brisbane St. Google Maps.
Later Druids, Imperial, Billabong, Galaxy, Plough Inn


1859-1860 John Sullivan, Fire Brigade, Brisbane St
1860-78 William Burston, Fire Brigade, Brisbane St
1880-87 Michael Lawler, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane Street
1887-88 Edward Bonser, Fire Brigade Hotel, Brisbane Street
1888 Mary Jane Bruff,
1889-91 John Black -died
1891 Emily Black -died
1891-94 William Inall died
1894 Mary Jane Inall
1895-99 James West died
1900 Amelia West

Photo, as Billabong Hotel, 1992

Cornwall Chronicle, 31 December 1859

Fire Brigade Hotel— Our advertising column announce that Mr John Sullivan, our worthy host of Launceston and George Town celebrity, has established himself in those substantial brick premises in Brisbane Street, opposite Mr. J. Monks’ painting and glaring establishment, which he will conduct under the sign of the ‘Fire Brigade Hotel.’ It is only necessary to be made known that Mr Sullivan has become the proprietor of this Hostelries to ensure for him the patronage he has so deservedly enjoyed, and for which he is so justly appreciated Always appreciated as a man of enterprise, Mr. Sullivan is sure to be encouraged by the general public in this, his present appearance in this his former occupation in Launceston.
Cornwall Chronicle, 31 December 1859

Cornwall Chronicle, 19 May 1860
Cornwall Chronicle, 19 May 1860

Read more