Macquarie Hotel, Evandale

cnr Macquarie & Barclay Streets, Evandale

1861-68 Ann Richards, Macquarie Hotel, Evandale
1871-73 Philip Mullane, Macquarie Hotel, Evandale.
1875-6* Richard Chugg, Macquarie Hotel, Evandale

*From assessment rolls

IMPROVEMENTS AT EVANDALE.—Mr. Richards is erecting at Evandale a building for an hotel, at the corner of Cambock and Macquarie-streets, which will not only be an ornament to the township, but also a great acquisition to travellers passing to and from the White Hills; and should a license be granted it will be the means of the township improving and extending in that locality. The proprietor has spared no expense in order to meet the requirements of the inhabitants, having attached a very large room for holding meetings, &c.
Launceston Examiner, 25 October 1860

EVANDALE LICENSING MEETING — At the licening meeting at Evandale a few days since, all the old licenses were renewed, and a new license was granted to Mrs. Richards for a house to be called the “Macquarie Hotel.”
Launceston Examiner, 17 December 1861

Launceston Examiner, 13 March 1862

Read more

Prince of Wales — Plough Inn (2), Evandale

1842-43 William Sutton, Prince of Wales, Evandale.
1843-44 Patrick Walsh, Prince of Wales, Evandale.
1845–> licence transferred to new building
1845 William Peck, Plough Inn, Evandale
1846 John/Stephen Murphy, Plough Inn, Evandale –refused

NEW LICENSES GRANTED. Mr. Peck obtained a license for the house formerly kept by Mr. Walsh at Evandale, and then known as the Prince of Wales. Mr. Walsh had transferred his license to another house in the township, and Mr. Peck changes the Prince of Wales to the Plough Inn.
5 November 1845

W. Peck, Plough Inn, Evandale; late Prince of Wales-granted. The former license being transferred to a new house situate in the immediate vicinity of the township at Evandale.
Launceston Advertsier, 6 November 1845

John Murphy, Plough Inn, Evandale.—Suspected of Sunday trading.
Mr. Breton and Major Welman gave Mr. Murphy a most excellent character.
Mr. Wales.— There are four public-houses at Evendale, and one or two would be ample for the necessities of the place

Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1846

From “Quarter Sessions”:
An appeal was lodged by Mr. Stephen Murphy of Evandale, but no one appeared, and it was not entertained.
Launceston Examiner, 23 September 1846

Prince Albert & Plough Inn (1), Evandale

(Combining these for convenience)

1843 William Peck, Prince Albert, Evandale — refused

William Peck, for premises at Evandale. Objected to by Messrs. Wales, Cox and Hartley, as unnecessary.
Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1843

1840 W. Sidebottom, Plough Inn, Evandale
1841 W. Sidebottom, Plough Inn, Evandale

Mr. Sidebottom was refused a license for the Plough Inn, Evandale, on the ground of the situation being very objectionable.
Launceston Advertiser, 3 September 1840

LICENSED VICTUALLERS.-We regret to be informed that at the last licensing day in Launceston, one of the Police Magistrates exhibited some little caprice on the bench, in reference to Mr. Willis, licensed victualler at Evandale, who is so well known to have kept aa most respectable house of accommodation. It appears that Mr. Willis has been too independent, and perhaps, not so liberal as may have been required ; and consequently unsuitable, according to the views of the Worshipful functionary of that district. But the best of the joke is, that an attempt was made to transfer the license to a common shoe-maker of the name of Sidebottom, whose habits of life are well known to render him unfit for such a situation. We have no doubt but that His Excellency will not sanction an act calculated to inflict so much injury upon the family of an unoffending man, who, perhaps, cannot bow and scrape sufficiently low, and who has not, perhaps, pen, ink, and paper, always at hand. We also earn that another publican in Launceston has been refused his license, for a reason which has not been objected to here under similar circumstances.
Colonial times, 8 September 1840

Patriot King William the Fourth, Evandale

16 High Street, Evandale. Google Maps.

As all the source materials (licensing lists, newspaper advertisements etc) only give the locality or town, it is difficult to tell if a hotel has always been at location or might have, in its earlier years, been elsewhere. In this case, Karl von Stieglitz says John Williat had an inn at New River in 1832 that “was built on the 37.5 acre block on which his house, the Laurels, and also later ‘The Patriot King William the Fourth’, now Blenheim, were afterwards erected”, but at the bottom of the same page he says Blenheim “was built as ‘The Patriot King William the Fourth” in 1832, being licensed in October of that year”. So take that as you will.
(A history of Evandale, K. R. von Stieglitz, 1967, p. 68)

November 2004

1832 John Willett, New River
1833 John Williatt, Patriot King, William IV, South Esk
1834 John Williat, King William the Fourth, South Esk River
1835-37 John Williat, Patriot King, William the Fourth, New River
1838-39 John Williat, Patriot King, William the 4th, Evandale
1840 Eleanor Perkins, King William the Fourth, Evandale,
1841-42 John Williatt, Patriot King, William IV. Evandale.
1843-1849 Thomas Fall, Patriot King, William the Fourth, Evandale
1849-1853 John Williat, King William the Fourth, Evandale
1853-57 William Wright, Patriot King (William IV), Evandale
1857-1870 John Duffell, Patriot King Hotel, Evandale
1871-76 Dinah Duffell, Patriot King Hotel, Evandale.
1876+ Private residence

Read more

Prince of Wales, Evandale

10 August 2013

1842-43 William Sutton, Prince of Wales, Evandale.
1843-44- Patrick Walsh, Prince of Wales, Evandale.
1845–> licence transferred to new building, old building becomes Plough Inn
1845 Patrick Walsh, Prince of Wales Evandale
1846-49 William Peck, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1849-51 John King, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1853 Edward Davis, Prince of Wales, Evandale Transfer
1854-61- Arthur S. Hall, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1861*-69 William Sidebottom, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1870-75? Robert Saunders, Prince of Wales Hotel, Evandale transfer
1875 William Turner, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1881 T. Tuck, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1883-91 Edward Hardman, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1891 Michael Markey, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1892+ Elise Markey, Prince of Wales, Evandale

* William Sidebottom was an innkeeper at Evandale when he married in 1861

29 January 2012

From “Annual Licensing Meeting”:
Miss Perkins and William Sutton, applied for licenses at Evandale. The sense of the meeting was taken into whether another house was required in the district ; upon a division there were six on each side, and the Chairman decided in favour of a second house. The respective merits of the two applications were then discussed, and a decision given in favor of Mr. Sutton by the Chairman’s casting vote.
Launceston Courier, 5 September 1842

On Saturday last an information came on to be heard at the Evandale Police-office, before Robert Wales and James Cox, Esquires, which, from its importance as affecting the licensed victualler, we were induced to have a reporter present, and now furnish the proceeding in full : — The information was brought by a petty constable of the name of Daniel Pestel, against Mr. William Sutton, land lord of ” The Prince of Wales Inn,” at Evandale, for receiving a promissory note in payment for liquors supplied at his house to one Peter Morgan. Mr. Rocher appeared in support of the information, and Mr. Sutton was defended by Mr. A. Douglas, when the following evidence was adduced : — .
William Mitchell called. — I am a farmer, and know Peter Morgan ; he has been in my employ about eight years ; I settled up with him on account of wages on the 28th June ; I gave him a bill for £51 10s., and sold him a pair of colts for a further sum due to him ; I made a minute of the account when I settled.

28 August 1843

Patrick Walsh, Evandale, being the house formerly occupied by Mr. Sutton. Some argument took place respecting the granting of this license, but it was ultimately carried, on the consideration that two licensed houses were better than only one, to prevent monopoly.
Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1843

Last year a protracted discussion took place relative to a license at Evandale, which was carried by the casting vote of the Chairman. A question was put direct to the police magistrate of the district, whether that license had been productive of benefit. The police magistrate, who warmly supported the license, was compelled to acknowledge that the reverse was the case, but he attributed the evil to the person who kept the house not being of reputable conduct. The license, however, was renewed to a another party [Patrick Walsh].
Teetoal Advocate, 4 September 1843

NEW LICENSES GRANTED. Mr. Peck obtained a license for the house formerly kept by Mr. Walsh at Evandale, and then known as the Prince of Wales. Mr. Walsh had transferred his license to another house in the township, and Mr. Peck changes the Prince of Wales to the Plough Inn.
5 November 1845

29 January 2012

W. Peck, Plough Inn, Evandale; late Prince of Wales-granted. The former license
being transferred to a new house situate in the immediate vicinity of the township at Evandale.

Launceston Advertsier, 6 November 1845

William Peck, Prince of Wales, Evandale.—Badly conducted house and a dealer in licenses.
Mr. Bartley. — There is so much trafficking in licenses, that I shall not be surprised to see them advertised for sale by public auction.

Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1846

Mr. John King, on applying for his transfer, from Mr. Peck, of the Prince of Wales, at Evandale. It was stated that he (King) had transferred his license but a short time previously, to Radford. Mr. Wales here said that there were two applications for two of the best houses in the colony ; but he would not oppose him. The applicant had conducted the house, the time he had been in it, in a very superior manner. Mr. Douglas stated on behalf of King, that Peck was the original holder of the licence now held by the applicant. As to King letting his house to Radford, and then so shortly applying for a fresh license, why it was according to the regular routine of business. Certainly Fall had built splendid premises, but, that is no reason why King should fall. Mr. Wales thought that four good houses would prevent the abuses existing in the various lodging and eating houses in the township; he therefore could not in justice refuse. Mr. Collett spoke highly of King’s conduct, and on the chairman putting it to the vote, the transfer was granted.
Cornwall Chronicle, 5 September 1849

Launceston Examiner, 7 July 1852

George Smith applied for a license for the Prince of Wales Inn, formerly kept by Mr. W. King. The clerk of the peace read a letter from the police magistrate of Morven, recommending the rejection of the applicant. Mr. J. B. Thomas, who was empowered to act on behalf of the A P. M. of Morven, said, from circumstances which had come under his observations, he could not entertain the application ; it would be disgraceful on the part of the bench to comply with it. Mr. Thomas considered the applicant totally unfit, and disgraceful, for a Licensed Victualler. Had he been a man of respectable character, he might have obtained certificates of character from several gentlemen, residents on the Nile, whose names Mr. Thomas enumerated.
Mr. Douglas, solicitor, stated that the applicant had resided some years on the Nile, and by a course of frugality, and honest industry, had collected a sum of money sufficient to embark in the business of a publican ; he was considered, however, on hearsay evidence and idle rumours, as unfit for that business ; although there was nothing tangible against him. He (Mr. Douglas) begged an adjournment, in order that he might produce satisfactory certificates of Mr. Smith’s character. According to Mr. Douglas’ idea, the argument of the bench went to show that applicant would not be an honor to the profession of a publican !
Mr. Thomas. — If Smith was a respectable character, he could have procured indisputable recommendations from gentlemen residing at the Nile. Why did he not obtain the signature of the Police Magistrate ?
Mr. Douglas.— Had Mr. Smith anticipated any opposition, he would have been prepared to meet it by the production of certificates of character ; and all be (Mr. Douglas) asked, was to allow him a fair opportunity of so doing, which could be done by an adjournment of the meeting.
Mr. Thomas hoped the bench would neither grant the licence, nor agree to an adjournment.
Mr. Douglas in suggesting an adjournment, had no other object in view than affording Applicant time to procure the desired certificates.
Mr. Gregson considered it merely a matter of reputation.
The Clerk of the Peace here read a letter from the law officers of the crown, as to the legality of an adjournment under the circumstances.
Mr. Evans thought that if any ambiguous point arose as to the legality of the proceeding, the better course to adopt would be to make another application to the law officers of the crown, — which staff had lately undergone considerable change— who might give a contrary opinion to that contained in the document just read by Mr. Kennedy.
After much desultory discussion, it was agreed with two exceptions, to postpone the decision of the bench for a fortnight.
Cornwall Chronicle, 4 September 1852

ADJOURNED LICENSING MEETING.-A meeting of magistrates was held on Thursday to consider an application from George Smith, for a license for the “Prince of Wales” Inn at Evandale, formerly held by Mr. J. King. This application stood over from the annual meeting, to allow time for the applicant to produce testimonials, which were now put in; but they were not considered satisfactory, and the magistrates were all but unanimous in refusing to grant the license.
Launceston Examiner, 18 September 1852

The first application was from Edward Davis for the transfer of his license, Prince of Wales Inn, Evandale, to S. A. Hall. There was no objection offered, and the transfer was granted.
Hobart Guardian, 6 May 1854

Launceston Examiner, 19 October 1861

James Lank was charged with bestiality. The offence was committed on 31st July, in the urinal of the Prince of Wales public house at Evandale, but of course the details are quite unfit for publication. Whilst the first witness was being examined the prisoner fainted. A glass of water was obtained, and Dr. Rock, who was present in Court, attended him. In the course of a few minutes the prisoner having sufficiently recovered, he was accommodated with a chair in the dock, and the trial proceeded. In his defence prisoner stated that he was not guilty : he should scorn the act ; but he admitted that he was very drunk at the time in question. The evidence was most conclusive, and the jury after retiring for a few minutes, returned into Court with a verdict of guilty.
Launceston Examiner, 11 September 1866

The Cornwall Chronicle, 13 February 1871

Launceston Examiner, 24 April 1875

The Cornwall Chronicle, 22 September 1875

The Cornwall Chronicle, 11 Octpber 1875

Edward Hardman, applied for a license for the Prince of Wales Hotel, Evandale. No complaints. Mr. Mackinnon said that he had seen letters in the newspapers, and that if the statements contained in those letters were correct there ought to be complaints. The Superintendent of Police said that he believed that the statements were incorrect. Granted.
Launceston Examiner, 3 December 1883

Clarendon Hotel, Evandale

11 Russell St, Evandale. Google Maps.

17 May 2014

1849 Thomas Fall
1850-88 Thomas Fall, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1889 Oscar Botcher, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1889 William Atkins, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1889 Oscar Bottcher, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1890-92 Walter Smith, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1892-93 Kate Nichols, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1893+ Michael John Ryan, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale

Dawn, 20 February 2016

Read more