1884-85 Gottlieb Sulzberger, Railway Hotel, Upper Piper
1885-86 John Crisp, Railway Hotel, Upper Piper
1886-87 George Cunningham, Railway Hotel, Upper Piper (new building)
1887-88 William Henry West, Railway Hotel, Upper Piper
1889-90 William H. West, Railway Hotel, Lilydale
1890-91 Gottlieb Sulzberger, Railway Hotel, Lilydale
1891 Frank J. Somerville, Railway Hotel, Lilydale
1891-92 John William Stevenson, Railway Hotel, Lilydale
1892 Edward Williams, Railway Hotel, Lilydale
1893 Gottlieb Sulzberger, Railway Hotel, Lilydale
1893 David Hamilton Johnston, Railway Hotel, Lilydale
Gottlieb Sulzberger, the enterprising son of German settlers, opened the first licensed hotel in 1884 on his property near the intersection of Lalla and Main Roads . . . The ten-roomed timber Railway Hotel adjoined Sulzberger’s house and post office/ store; however, after the first year it was leased to a licensee. The hotel’s name was possibly chosen because the building was situated within about 150 metres of the railway line under construction through his property, and possibly also suggesting that Sulzberger anticipated trade associated with the railway. No doubt there was considerable custom from railway workers during the construction phase, both for accommodation and for refreshments. After the line opened in 1889, the hotel would not have been especially well located for associated trade as the station was some distance away on the north-western outskirts of the settlement (more than a kilometre via Main and Station Roads, although there may have been a more direct track at the time). At some stage Sulzberg ererected a new Railway Hotel, still on his farm block but near its northern boundary and fronting onto the Main Road. This remained open as licensed premises until 1893. Part of this building is said to survive in the present house, much altered in the 1960’s; split timber boards can be seen on its northern wall.
“Rural Launceston Heritage Study”, Margaret Tassell, 2000, p. 179 (available here)
From “Annual Licensing Meeting”:
Gottlieb Sulzberger, Railway Hotel, Upper Piper. Mr Collins presented a petition with 85 signatures in favor of the house, and numerous letters of recommendation. Mr Armstrong stated that the house was necessary, all the requisite accommodation was provided. If the house was refused it would result in a lot of sly grog-Belling. Mr Miller objected on behalf of some of the inhabitants of the district, but the objection was not allowed, and the license was granted.
Daily Telegraph, 2 December 1884
Advance Tasmania. — In anticipation of the influx of passengers by the railway to Scottsdale, which is not yet commenced, local enterprise has already provided at the Upper Piper a Railway Hotel ; at Turner’s Marsh, in all haste, another house of accommodation, bearing the same name, is being built, and is to be immediately followed by a second new hotel, for fear the first-named should not be equal to the occasion. Who can now dare call us “Sleepy Hollow.”
Daily Telegraph, 14 July 1885
BREACH OF LICENSING ACT.
John Crisp pleaded guilty to having on the 23rd ultimo, allowed persons to enter his licensed house, the Railway Hotel, Upper Piper, after 10 p.m., and was fined 10s and costs.
Daily Telegraph, 7 June 1886
George Cunningham applied for a transfer of the house held by J. Crisp at the Railway Hotel, Piper River, and for the license to be transferred to a new house he had erected. Mr. Supt. Armstrong said these was no police objection. Mr. G. T. Collins, in supporting the application, explained that the transfer was a double one, and in addition to the transfer from Crisp to Cunningham, the latter wished to remove to a new house he had erected, which would be more commodious and convenient for the travelling public. The application was granted.
Tasmanian, 7 August 1886