Currency Lad

Brisbane Street
Bathurst & Frederick Streets

1834 John Biles, Currency Lad, Brisbane Street
1835 John Biles, Currency Lad, Bathurst & Frederick Streets ( Gardener’s Lodge)
1835 Edward Symonds, Bathurst St

Independent, 6 September 1834
Independent, 24 September 1834
Launceston Advertiser, 19 March 1835
Cornwall Chronicle, 30 May 1835

Original building demolished:

Launceston Advertiser, 6 August 1835

The Information and Complaint of John Peers who being sworn saith–I reside in Launceston and carry on business as a Builder in Partnership with Thomas Twinning–About three months ago Thomas Twinning and myself purchased of George Hamilton certain premises in Brisbane Street which were Known as the Currency Lad Public House We shortly afterwards pulled down the House and other premises attached to it, for the Purpose of improvement, and during the Progress of pulling it down, a quantity of Timber, consisting of flooring boards was feloniously stolen.
1 January 1836
(QVMAG MS154 B 18)

Noah’s Ark

cnr Margaret & Brisbane Streets

1859 Alfred Fowler, Margaret and Brisbane Streets
1859-1860 Robert Cotton, The Ark, Margaret and Brisbane Streets transfer
1860 Alfred Fowler, Ark, Margaret and Brisbane Streets transfer
1860 Patrick Torley, The Ark, Margaret and Brisbane-streets

From assessment rolls, southern side of Brisbane Street, possible eastern corner.

LICENSING MEETING
Alfred Fowler, premises in Brisbane and Margaret-streets.
The Police Magistrate said the house was not in a fit state to be occupied, much more to hold a license, and was not wanted in the neighborhood ; there was the Hibernia
Inn and the Elephant and Castle near.
Refused as not necessary.
Launceston Examiner, 2 December 1858

Alfred Fowler appealed against the decision of the licensing meeting, refusing to grant a license to new premises at the corner of Margaret and Brisbane-streets, on the grounds that it was not necessary and that it was not in a fit state to be occupied. After a little discussion, a license was granted.
Launceston Examiner, 4 January 1859

BREACHES OF THE LICENSING ACT. — Robert Cotton was charged on information by Mr. Superintendent O’Connor with abandoning the “Noah’s Ark” Inn, the license of which he held, and Robert Fowler was charged with selling liquors on the said premises without a license.
Launceston Examiner, 28 February 1860

Read more

** Dover Castle — Wheelwrights’ Arms — Victoria (3) — Volunter

SE cnr of George & Brisbane Streets. Google Maps.
demolished 1969

Incomplete

1837-42 William Major Grayling, Dover Castle, Brisbane Street
1842 Thomas Archer, Dover Castle, Brisbane Street
1842-44 George Leech, Dover Castle, Brisbane Street
1844 George Leech, Dover Castle, Brisbane & George Streets
1845-51/2 Samuel Feutril, Wheelwrights Arms, George and Brisbane
1852-55 Samuel Feutrill, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane & George streets
1855 Mrs Feutrill, Victoria Hotel
James Lewis
1856 Robert McCarthy, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane and George streets
1858-61 John King, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane and George streets
1862 Frederick Jones, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane & George Streets
1864 Frederick Jones, Volunteer Hotel, Brisbane and George-street.

WP_20160121_14_13_33_Pro
Location (January 2016)

“View of the Volunteer Hotel, corner of George Street and Brisbane Street, Launceston, Tasmania, featuring a red square on the front of the building showing the proposed position for a new sign, c 1936,” QVMAG collection, QVM:1993:P:0394
“Corner Brisbane & George Streets – Volunteer Hotel”, Lloyd George Web, Libraries Tasmania

PUBLICANS’ LICENSES — A Bench of Magistrates assembled in sessions at the Court House, on Monday last, to consider applications for fresh Licenses and Transfers. The Dover Castle was transferred from William Major Grayling to Thomas Archer; the Sir William Wallace Inn, from Britton Jones to Joshua Lyons; the Cornwall Hotel, from Loftus Dickenson to Henry Palmer; the Waterloo Tavern, George Town, from G. Wilson to Jonathan Stammers Rudkin; a new license was granted to Edward Blown, for the Lamb and Flag, York-street, and two applications for houses at Patterson’s Plains were refused, on the grounds of not being required for the public accommodation.
Cornwall Chronicle, 12 February 1842

From “Quarterly Licensing Meeting”:
Mr. S. Feutrill obtained a license for the Wheelwright’s Arms, the house formerly occupied by Mr. George Leech, as the Dover Castle
Launceston Examiner, 5 November 1845

From “Publicans’ Licenses”:
The Victoria Hotel, corner of Brisbane and George-streets ; permission to continue the business of her late husband was granted to Mrs. Feutrill.
Launceston Examiner, 6 November 1855

John King, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane and George streets.
The Police Magistrate remarked that reports were frequently made of applicant not keeping a light in front of his house at night. He had once been fined for this breach. There were similar reports against many other publicans.
Theo Chairman trusted that all licensed victuallers would take this as a general warning.
License granted.
Launceston Examiner, 10 December 1861

Cornwall Chronicle, 31 May 1862
Cornwall Chronicle, 31 May 1862

Hibernia–Verandah Wine Vaults–Jubilee

72-74 Bathurst Street.  Google Maps.
SE cnr Brisbane & Bathurst Streets. Google Maps.


Bathurst and Brisbane St, 2009.

1835 Josiah Pitcher, the Hibernia, Bathurst Street
1836-38 Josiah Pitcher, Hibernia/Hibernian Inn, Launceston
1839-40 Joseph Fossey, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1840-41 Walter Hobson, Hibernia Inn/Hotel, Bathurst Street
1841-42 John Green, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1842-45 William Lewis, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1845 Edward Potts, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1845-46 Thomas Dudley, Verandah Wine Vaults, Bathurst St
1846-47 Michael O’Meara, Hibernia, Bathurst Street
1847-49 Benjamin Walford, The Hibernia, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets**
1849-61 John Green, Hibernia (Inn), Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1862-85 Jane Green, Hibernia Inn/Hibernian Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1885-86 Alfred Green, Hibernia Inn, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1886-97 George Green, Hibernia Inn, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1897 Francis Green, Hibernia Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1898 Walter David Johnston, Hibernia Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1898+ Walter David Johnston, Jubilee Hotel, Brisbane and Bathurst streets
**Change of location

Later Victoria Hotel. Now (2017) Irish Murphy’s. The current Art Deco facade dates from the 1930s. I can’t find any photos prior to this.

Photo 1942 (Jubilee Hotel, as best I can tell.)
Photo 1991


2009

Read more

Bull’s Head

Wellington Street, Sandhill/South Launceston
SW cnr Charles & Brisbane Streets. Google Maps.
Charles Street
NW cnr Charles and York Streets. Google Maps.

1834-36 William Collins, Bull’s Head, Wellington Street/Main Road
1836-43 William Collins, Bull’s Head, Charles & Brisbane Streets
1843-50 William Duncan, Bull’s Head, Charles & Brisbane Streets (burnt down)
1850 William Duncan sen., Bull’s Head, Charles Street
1851-57 William Duncan, Senr., Bull’s Head, Charles and York Streets
1857-58 Alexander Duncan, Bull’s Head, Charles and York Streets
1858-66 John Burns Thompson, Bulls’ Head, Charles & York Streets
1866-71 William Tuner, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets
1871 Henry Millbank, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets
1871 Elizabeth Woods, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets


Cornwall Chronicle, 19 September 1836


Cornwall Chronicle, 3 December 1836

Read more

Wilmot Arms

Cnr Garfield Street and Wellington Street (Road), Sandhill/South Launceston. Google Maps approximate location
Demolished 1972

SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. Google Maps, approximate location.
Demolished 1894.

Mw1_0735
SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. (2015)

Previously Green Gate
1844-47 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Sand Hill
–> Moved to site of Black Swan
1847-48 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Wellington and Brisbane Streets
1848 Jane Clark/Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1849-53 John Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1853-54 Daniel O’Donell, Wilmot Arms, Wellington and Brisbane Streets
1854-55 George Summers, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1855-63 John Blades, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1863-66 Charles Page, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1866-68 Alfred John Green, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1868-69 Alfred Stephen Harris, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1869 John Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1870-80 Michael Lawler, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
–> License transferred to former Fire Brigade Inn, Brisbane Street

Photo of Wellington St, with Brisbane St intersection on the very right. The light coloured building on that corner is the Wilmot Arms (name is along the top), which is a facade around the older Black Swan. (Alternate link.)

Extracts from Examiner story, “Colourful Old Hostelries”:
The first hotel in Launceston was the Black Swan, built in 1820, and kept by G. Burgess, an old whaler. It stood on the corner of Brisbane and Wellington streets and was after wards known as the Wilmot Arms before it was pulled down.

In Brisbane St. where the Enfleld (now McClymont’s), Cleary’s (now Tuck’s shop), Wilmot Arms (now a motor garage), Noah’s Ark (at corner of Margaret St.), Glenfield House, Barber’s Hotel (now Routley’s and the adjoining bank) and the Fire Brigade (now the Imperial).
Examiner, 12 March 1946

Read more

Bird in Hand (4) – Shamrock – Victoria (4)

Brisbane & George Streets
81 Elizabeth Street

march-2016
81 Elizabeth St, Match 2016

Formerly Half-Moon
1845 Adam Yates, Bird in Hand, George Street
1846 Patrick Cunningham, Bird in Hand, George Street
1847 Daniel O’Donell, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1848 William Grosvenor, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1850-54 George Summers, Bird-in-hand, Elizabeth Street
1854-57 John Bailey, Bird-in-hand, Elizabeth Street
1857-60 James Spencer, Bird-in-Hand, Elizabeth Street
1861-62 Edward Spencer, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1863-64 Richard Gee, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1865 Jeremiah Foley, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1865 Jeremiah Foley, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1867 John Tynan, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1870 Thomas Woods, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1871 Elizabeth Woods, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1871 Frederick Hollingsworth, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1883 John White, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1883-84 John Clydesdale, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1884 John Clydesdale, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1885-86 Charles Dalwood, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1887-95 Michael Lawler, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1895+ Elizabeth Jessamine Lawler, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street

Known as Burnie Hotel from 1909-1919. Seems to have been last licensed in 1919. In 1924 it was converted to a Trades Hall.

Read more

Enfield Hotel (1)

Brisbane Street (cnr of the Kingsway)

1845 Manwairing & Baetholomew Chitty, Enfield Hotel, Brisbane Street
1846-49 Edward Greenbeck, Enfield Hotel, Brisbane Street
1849-1861 Thomas Hill, Enfield Hotel, Brisbane Street

courier-22-february-1845
Courier, 22 February 1845

the-courier-27-february-1845
The Courier, 27 February 1845

Read more

** International Hotel (1)

North side of Brisbane Mall. Google Maps, approximate location.

Incomplete
– 1873 Coker
1873- Michael Cleary
-1883- William Throw
1886 Changed
-1890- George William Barber, International Hotel, Brisbane-street

International Hotel, 1891
Courtyard, 1891
(old links, might not work)
International Hotel, 1891

From “Quarterly Licensing Meeting”
NEW LICENCE.
Thomas Coker. In respect of the house situate in Brisbane-street, and to be called the “International Hotel.”
Mr Superintendent Coulter said he had examined the premises, the alterations in which had just been completed. The hotel would consist of thirty-seven rooms, and would afford more accommodation and of a better class than any other hotel in town.
Mr Adye Douglas, who represented the applicant, said that the premises were doubtless well-known to all the magistrates present. The hotel would be of a first-class character and could not come under the category of in-creasing the number of “drinking houses” in town. The applicant, Mr Coker, was well-known in Victoria where he had long success-fully conducted a good hotel. He believed it was Mr Coker’s intention to start a similar hotel in Hobart Town. In reply to Mr Turnbull, Mr Douglas said the hotel here would be conducted under Mr Coker’s personal supervision.
Mr Mason was of opinion that the “International” would be just the class of hotel required to put an end to inferior houses.
There being no opposition; the licence was granted.
Launceston Examiner,2 May 1871

Launceston Examiner, 6 May 1871
Launceston Examiner, 22 August 1871

Billiard License.— A billiard license was granted to Mr Thomas Cokcr, of the International Hotel, until the end of the year.
Cornwall Chronicle, 28 August 1871

The Mercury, 5 March 1872

Colonel Shaw’s lectures — excellent though they be — have not prevented the publicans preparing as well as other sinners some acceptable offerings for Christmas. The manager at the International. Hotel has actually offered bottles containing Reisling, Mosel Mousseu, Pedro Xinenes (whoever he is), geneva, rum, brandy, “Scotch whuskey,” the real “Glenlivet,” and other terrible alcoholic productions by the bottle, at reduced prices, during the Christmas holidays. And these bottles containing such noxious ingredients are decorated with ferns, real holly with the red berries on, and are made to look very cool, tempting, and harmless.
The Tasmanian, 30 December 1871

CHAPMAN’S BAND AND CONCERT!
This splendid band performed in the courtyard of the International Hotel from 8 to 10 o’clock on Monday evening, but the crowd made so free by stopping up the gateway and thoroughfare on the foot path it was found necessary to close the massive gates–the band continuing to play inside.
The Tasmanian, 10 February 1872

The International Hotel. — This hotel, the largest and most complete in the colony, has been taken by Mr M. A. Cleary, of the Cornwall Hotel. The Cornwall is, we understand to be disestablished, and converted into a chemist’s and druggist’s shop. Mr Cleary has succeeded in attracting a good hotel business to quite a new house, the Cornwall, and he is therefore the more likely to succeed in conducting the larger adjoining establishment, the International Hotel.
Cornwall Chronicle, 4 April 1873

“THE INTERNATIONAL.” We understand it is probable that Mr M.A. Cleary will take this admirable hotel in succession to Mr Coker. Should this arrangement be carried out, the Cornwall Hotel, in conducting which Mr Cleary has became favorably known, will once more revert to its original character, that of on ordinary shop.
Examiner, 5 April 1873

Payment of Wages.-Thomas Haines proceeded against William Ignatius Thrower, of the International Hotel, to recover £10 14s alleged to be due to him as wages. Thomas Haines stated he was engaged in Melbourne by a Mrs Brown to come to Launceston at a salary of £1 per week, as waiter in the defendant’s hotel ; he produced the agreement drawn up for him by Mrs Brown for three months ; he came to Launceston, his fare being paid optionally by the defendant, and commenced work on the 12th July; after working for nine days Mr Thrower gave him a week’s notice to quit, which witness refused to take ; he left however when the week expired, and asked for the money due to him ; all that was offered was 6s for a week and two days’ work, £1 being deducted for the fare from Melbourne. Witness sued for wages due for the three as months, as per agreement. William Ignatius Thrower asserted he gave Mrs Brown no authority to engage the complainant for three months; the merely sent her a telegram as follows:-“Send by Mangana competent waiter, unmarried ; £1 per week; dress coat indispensable;” witness had agreed with the complainant that there should be a week’s notice on either side; previous to leaving the plaintiff was not a competent waiter, and had refused to wear his dress coat at table on several occasions. The Bench decided to dismiss the case.
Examiner, 3 August 1881

Hotel Changes. — The present season, though a dull one, is only the harbinger of more stirring times, if we may judge from the high prices at which several hotels in Launceston have of late changed hands. The Launceston Hotel, which was last year sold for £6500, has passed into the hands of Mr J. Huston, late of the Criterion Hotel, for £7500. This sum includes a new building in course of erection at the rear of the hotel, in place of the old wooden portion of the hotel that used to exist at the back of the premises. The lease of the Criterion Hotel has passed into the hands of Mr A. Deleuse at a good rental, and now the old Brisbane Hotel will lose the owner who has so long conducted it, Mr J. W. Simmons having sold it to Mr E. H. Panton for £7000, including the fittings, though exclusive of the furniture, and in another month will vacate it. His departure will make the hotel seem strange to those who have frequented it for many years past, while it will also lose its present homely appearance, and be transferred into a more modern-looking hotel by means of a verandah and balcony in front and extensive additions at the rear where the present yard is. A further change will be made known to-day regarding another leading hotel, the International, in the same street, Five tenders have been received by the trustees, Messrs. Douglas, Collins, and Davis, for the lease of the hotel, and these will be opened and the successful tenderer selected to-day. In George-street, Mr J. Edwards, formerly landlord of the Globe Hotel, has this week entered on a lease of the Royal Exchange Hotel, and other changes are reported as likely to take place.
Daily Telegraph, 21 May 1886