** Dover Castle — Wheelwrights’ Arms — Victoria (3) — Volunter

SE cnr of George & Brisbane Streets. Google Maps.
demolished 1969


1837-42 William Major Grayling, Dover Castle, Brisbane Street
1842 Thomas Archer, Dover Castle, Brisbane Street
1842-44 George Leech, Dover Castle, Brisbane Street
1844 George Leech, Dover Castle, Brisbane & George Streets
1845-51/2 Samuel Feutril, Wheelwrights Arms, George and Brisbane
1852-55 Samuel Feutrill, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane & George streets
1855 Mrs Feutrill, Victoria Hotel
James Lewis
1856 Robert McCarthy, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane and George streets
1858-61 John King, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane and George streets
1862 Frederick Jones, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane & George Streets
1864 Frederick Jones, Volunteer Hotel, Brisbane and George-street.

Location (January 2016)

“View of the Volunteer Hotel, corner of George Street and Brisbane Street, Launceston, Tasmania, featuring a red square on the front of the building showing the proposed position for a new sign, c 1936,” QVMAG collection, QVM:1993:P:0394
“Corner Brisbane & George Streets – Volunteer Hotel”, Lloyd George Web, Libraries Tasmania

PUBLICANS’ LICENSES — A Bench of Magistrates assembled in sessions at the Court House, on Monday last, to consider applications for fresh Licenses and Transfers. The Dover Castle was transferred from William Major Grayling to Thomas Archer; the Sir William Wallace Inn, from Britton Jones to Joshua Lyons; the Cornwall Hotel, from Loftus Dickenson to Henry Palmer; the Waterloo Tavern, George Town, from G. Wilson to Jonathan Stammers Rudkin; a new license was granted to Edward Blown, for the Lamb and Flag, York-street, and two applications for houses at Patterson’s Plains were refused, on the grounds of not being required for the public accommodation.
Cornwall Chronicle, 12 February 1842

From “Quarterly Licensing Meeting”:
Mr. S. Feutrill obtained a license for the Wheelwright’s Arms, the house formerly occupied by Mr. George Leech, as the Dover Castle
Launceston Examiner, 5 November 1845

From “Publicans’ Licenses”:
The Victoria Hotel, corner of Brisbane and George-streets ; permission to continue the business of her late husband was granted to Mrs. Feutrill.
Launceston Examiner, 6 November 1855

John King, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane and George streets.
The Police Magistrate remarked that reports were frequently made of applicant not keeping a light in front of his house at night. He had once been fined for this breach. There were similar reports against many other publicans.
Theo Chairman trusted that all licensed victuallers would take this as a general warning.
License granted.
Launceston Examiner, 10 December 1861

Cornwall Chronicle, 31 May 1862
Cornwall Chronicle, 31 May 1862

Leave a Comment