** Dover Castle — Wheelwrights’ Arms — Victoria (3) — Volunter

SE cnr of George & Brisbane Streets. Google Maps.
demolished 1969

Incomplete

1837-42 William Major Grayling, Dover Castle, Brisbane Street
1842 Thomas Archer, Dover Castle, Brisbane Street
1842-44 George Leech, Dover Castle, Brisbane Street
1844 George Leech, Dover Castle, Brisbane & George Streets
1845-51/2 Samuel Feutril, Wheelwrights Arms, George and Brisbane
1852-55 Samuel Feutrill, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane & George streets
1855 Mrs Feutrill, Victoria Hotel
James Lewis
1856 Robert McCarthy, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane and George streets
1858-61 John King, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane and George streets
1862 Frederick Jones, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane & George Streets
1864 Frederick Jones, Volunteer Hotel, Brisbane and George-street.

WP_20160121_14_13_33_Pro
Location (January 2016)

“View of the Volunteer Hotel, corner of George Street and Brisbane Street, Launceston, Tasmania, featuring a red square on the front of the building showing the proposed position for a new sign, c 1936,” QVMAG collection, QVM:1993:P:0394
“Corner Brisbane & George Streets – Volunteer Hotel”, Lloyd George Web, Libraries Tasmania

PUBLICANS’ LICENSES — A Bench of Magistrates assembled in sessions at the Court House, on Monday last, to consider applications for fresh Licenses and Transfers. The Dover Castle was transferred from William Major Grayling to Thomas Archer; the Sir William Wallace Inn, from Britton Jones to Joshua Lyons; the Cornwall Hotel, from Loftus Dickenson to Henry Palmer; the Waterloo Tavern, George Town, from G. Wilson to Jonathan Stammers Rudkin; a new license was granted to Edward Blown, for the Lamb and Flag, York-street, and two applications for houses at Patterson’s Plains were refused, on the grounds of not being required for the public accommodation.
Cornwall Chronicle, 12 February 1842

From “Quarterly Licensing Meeting”:
Mr. S. Feutrill obtained a license for the Wheelwright’s Arms, the house formerly occupied by Mr. George Leech, as the Dover Castle
Launceston Examiner, 5 November 1845

From “Publicans’ Licenses”:
The Victoria Hotel, corner of Brisbane and George-streets ; permission to continue the business of her late husband was granted to Mrs. Feutrill.
Launceston Examiner, 6 November 1855

John King, Victoria Hotel, Brisbane and George streets.
The Police Magistrate remarked that reports were frequently made of applicant not keeping a light in front of his house at night. He had once been fined for this breach. There were similar reports against many other publicans.
Theo Chairman trusted that all licensed victuallers would take this as a general warning.
License granted.
Launceston Examiner, 10 December 1861

Cornwall Chronicle, 31 May 1862
Cornwall Chronicle, 31 May 1862

Bird in Hand (4) – Shamrock – Victoria (4)

Brisbane & George Streets
81 Elizabeth Street

march-2016
81 Elizabeth St, Match 2016

Formerly Half-Moon
1845 Adam Yates, Bird in Hand, George Street
1846 Patrick Cunningham, Bird in Hand, George Street
1847 Daniel O’Donell, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1848 William Grosvenor, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1850-54 George Summers, Bird-in-hand, Elizabeth Street
1854-57 John Bailey, Bird-in-hand, Elizabeth Street
1857-60 James Spencer, Bird-in-Hand, Elizabeth Street
1861-62 Edward Spencer, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1863-64 Richard Gee, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1865 Jeremiah Foley, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1865 Jeremiah Foley, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1867 John Tynan, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1870 Thomas Woods, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1871 Elizabeth Woods, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1871 Frederick Hollingsworth, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1883 John White, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1883-84 John Clydesdale, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1884 John Clydesdale, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1885-86 Charles Dalwood, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1887-95 Michael Lawler, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1895+ Elizabeth Jessamine Lawler, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street

Known as Burnie Hotel from 1909-1919. Seems to have been last licensed in 1919. In 1924 it was converted to a Trades Hall.

Read more

Union Inn–Royal Exchange Hotel

George Street
Cnr George and Brisbane St

mw1_0712
George St, west side. The Royal  is the big grey building.

1830-38 William Milne, Union, George Street
1839-43 Nicholas Clarke, Union, George & Brisbane Streets
1844-46 James Purselow, Union Inn, Brisbane & George Streets
1847-61 William Spearman, Union Inn, George Street
1862 James Boag, Union Inn, George Street
1863-65 Elijah Hedditch, Union Inn, George Street
1866-68 James Jordan, Union Hotel, George Street
1869-72 Frederick Jones, Union Inn, George Street
1873 James Ray, Union Inn/Royal Exchange, George Street
1874-80 James Ray, Royal Exchange, George Street
1881 Mary Jane Ray, Royal Exchange Hotel, George Street
1883 John McCaveston, Royal Exchange Hotel, George Street
1883 Mary Jane M’Caveston (formerly Ray), Ray’s Royal Exchange Hotel, George Street
1884 Mary Ann M’Caveston, Royal Exchange Hotel, George Street
1885 Thomas Crawford, Ray’s Royal Exchange Hotel, George Street
1886-88 John Edwards, Royal (Exchange) Hotel, George Street
1889-94 John Allan, (Royal) Exchange Hotel, George Street
1895-97 John Polley, (Royal) Exchange Hotel, George Street
1898+ Michael James Corcoran, Exchange Hotel, George Street, also known as the Royal Hotel.

The location of this one is a bit confusing. It became the Royal Exchange Hotel and then the Royal, which is between Paterson and Brisbane Sts (see photo below). According to the city council’s assessment rolls,  between 1854 and 1874 the property which was licensed at the Union was owned by John Fawns and was in George Street, near Brisbane Street. Possibly this is the same location as the present building . (The early assessment rolls don’t have street numbers just street names, so it can be difficult to tell if a particular property is on a corner or the next propery down. Coming from Brisbane St, the property nearest George St was a stone yard, also owned by John Fawns. This might have been on the corner with George St and the public house was the next building down in George, about where it is now.)

However, I am not sure that could be described as George & Brisbane Streets as it in the licensing lists. For some reason I thought it was on the NE corner in 1840, but I can’t remember why. In the 1830s, the NE corner was apparently occupied by the Rose & Thistle,/Horse & Groom/Verandah Wine Vaults, so the Union can’t have been there then. must have been elsewhere along George Street at this time. In 1829 there was a Union Public House on the corner of Paterson and George Streets. This might not have anything to do with this Union. Also, the hotel on the corner of George and York Street was known as the the Union Club Hotel in the mid-20th Century, but I haven’t come across this name being used for this Union.

mw1_0713

Read more

Rising Sun (1) – Barley Sheaf

182930 John Knight, Rising Sun, George Street
1831-82 Thomas Adams, Barley Sheaf, George Street
1834-35 Thomas Dudley, Rising Sun, George Street


Independent, 15 June 1833


Independent, 27 July 1833

By May 1834, this is no longer licensed premises.

Launceston Advertiser, 15 May 1834
Launceston Advertiser, 15 May 1834

In 1860 this appears, which might or might not be the same place:

The Rising Sun.
Mr John Bedford applied for a license to a house in George-street above Dr. Maddox’s buildings, which had been formerly licensed by the name of the “Rising Sun.” The Superintendent of police said the premises had been occupied for some time by the lowest class in the community, and were not in a fit state for occupation as licensed premises. In reply to Mr Bartley, he said he believed that a license to the premises would be an evil in the neighbourhood, and there was no necessity for the license, as there were five other licensed houses in that immediate vicinity. Mr Knight, the landlord of the premises, addressed the Bench, and said the house had formerly been kept respectably until the person who kept it look out a brewer’s license and left it ; since which it had become dilapidated, but he had repaired and improved it to make it suitable for a licensed house. He could have let it as a board and lodging house, but kept it vacant expecting to get the license back to it. Application refused on the grounds of the premises being unsuitable, — no necessity for a public house in the neighbourhood and on general grounds.

Cornwall Chronicle, 8 February 1860

Globe (4)

NE cnr George and Cimitiere Streets. Google Maps.
Built 1882.  Currently Lloyd’s Hotel.
Also known as Sharpe’s Family Hotel & Globe Family Hotel.

Photo, 1930

Img_3909

1882-1885 John Edwards, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere Streets
1886 William Sydney Monks, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere Streets
1887 Thomas John Strong, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere Streets
1887 Robert Earl, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere Streets
1889 Frederick Holloway, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere Streets
1889 Alfred Edwards, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere Streets
1890 Elizabeth Ann Edwards, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere Streets
1891-92 John William Holloway, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere streets
1893-95 John Philip Sharpe, Sharpe’s Family Hotel, George Street
1896 Lillian Phillips, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere streets
1897-99 John William Holloway, Globe Family Hotel

Read more

Cross Keys Inn – Railway Tavern

Cnr of George and Cimitiere Streets, possibly north-east corner. Google Maps.
Southern side of York St, between Bathurst & Wellington Streets. Google Maps, approximate location

182930 James Anderson, Cross Keys, George Street
1831- Abraham Lenoy, Cross Keys, George Street
1832-36 Mary Lenoy, Cross Keys, George Street
1837-48 William Brean, Cross Keys, York St
1849 Robert Blake, Cross Keys, York Street
1850-51 Henry Mills, Cross Keys, York Street
1852 Abel Blades, Cross Keys, York Street
1853 James Lewis, Cross Keys, York Street
1856 John West, Cross Keys, York Street
1858 John Partridge, Cross Keys, York Street
1859-62 William Jones, Cross Keys, York Street
1862 Job Haycock, Cross Keys, York Street
1863-67 Edward Spencer, Railway Tavern, York Street
1868-70 William Darcy, Railway Tavern , York Street
1870 George Butterworth, Railway Tavern, York Street
1871 Licence Refused

Dscn3150
Intersection of Cimitiere and George Sts. (Left side is the north-east corner.)

Read more

Joiners’ Arms

Cameron St
cnr George & Brisbane Sts
Later Half Moon Inn

1831 William Evans, Joiners’ Arms, Cameron-street
1832-33 David Williams, Joiner’s Arms, George and Brisbane streets.


Launceston Advertiser, 28 September 1831

Launceston Advertiser, 21 November 1833
Launceston Advertiser, 21 November 1833

Launceston Advertiser, 12 March 1835
Launceston Advertiser, 12 March 1835

Change of occupier and name to the Half-moon Inn

 

Launceston Advertiser, 8 October 1835
Launceston Advertiser, 8 October 1835