Not finding the hotel you want?

There’s 130 completed posts on this blog, which means there are 130 hotels that I’ve tracked.
But there’s another 88 in drafts (started but not finished) and probably half that again that I have yet to do anything on, and realistically, I might not get to them as I’m busy with other projects. New projects are shiny and want attention. But… I still like to work on these when I have a reason. So, if you have an interest in an old hotel (your great-grandmother ran it, you’ve driven past it, you’ve heard the name and wondered where it was), drop me a comment below and come back in a few days weeks. (And yes, I’m do sometimes wander out to the nearby towns, although I can’t guarantee I have current photos for all those.)

1883 Launceston & Selby

William Atkinson, Elephant and Castle, Wellington and Frederick streets. Granted.
William Bull, Tam o’ Shanter, Canning-street. Granted.
Joseph W. Bossworth, Royal Oak Inn, Brisbane and Tar streets. Granted.
William Bassett, Bath Arms, New Town. Granted.
William Chester, Star, Charles-street. Granted.
Donald Cameron, Scottish Chief, Canning and Wellington streets. Granted.
Phillip Davis, Glasgow Wine Vaults, George-street. Not granted.
Margaret Dynan, Steam Packet, Lower George-street. Granted.
Joseph Dyson, Shakespeare, St. John and York streets. Granted.
Joseph Dyson, jun., Prince of Wales, York and Wellington streets. Granted.
William Doodie, Salmon and Ball, Charles and William streets. Granted.
Henry Evans, Coach and Horses, Charles and Patterson streets. Granted.
Robert Edwards, Volunteer, Brisbane and George streets. Granted
Ellen Edwards, Sydney Hotel, Elizabeth-street. Granted.
John Edwards, Globe, George and Cimitiere streets. Granted.
Sarah Fahey, Cornwall Hotel, Cameron street. Granted.
Jane Green, Hibernian Inn, Brisbane and Bathurst streets. Granted.
William Laing, Crown Inn, Bathurst street. Granted.
Michael Lawler, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane-street. Granted.
James Loy, Park, George Town-road. Granted.
John Maloney, George Inn, Welling-ton-street. Granted.
Douglas F. M’Intoshs, Royal Tasman, Patterson-street. Granted.
W. Maltman, Caledonian Inn, York and George streets. Granted.
Elijah E. Panton, Enfield, Charles street. Granted.
Edward 1H. Panton, Launceston, Brisbane-street. Granted.
Joshua Peck, Queen’s Head, Wellington-street. Granted.
David Powell, Court House, Patterson and Wellington streets. Granted.
Roger Rockliffe, Commercial, George and Cimitiere streets. Granted.
John Reeves, Tasmanian Ion, Patterson-street. Granted.
Joseph W. Simmons, Brisbane, Brisbane-street. Granted.
James T. Smith, Smith’s Central Family, Charles-street. Granted.
George Talhnage, Club, Brisbane-street. Granted.
John Tynan, Terminus, William and Tamar streets. Granted.
William I. Thrower, International, Brisbane-street. Granted.
Thomas Wadhanm, Plough Inn, Charles and Patterson streets. Conditionally granted.
Richard Washbourno, Sportsman’s Hall, Charles and Balfour streets. Granted.
Benjamin West, Duke of. Wellington Inn, Wellington-road. Granted.
John Walsh, Jolly Butchers, Balfour street. Granted.
Frank Watts, York, York – street. Granted, conditional

Elizabeth Barrett, Rising Sun, Prospect-Village. Granted.
John Billing. Swan Inn, King’s Meadows. Granted.
Edward Brooks, St. Patrick’s, Patersonia. Granted.
Thomas Faulkner, Post-office, Lisle.
William Faulkner, Myrtle Bank, Myrtle Bank (reduced rate). Granted.
Joseph Gee, Bangor, Bangor (reduced fee). Granted.
Walter Harris, St. Leonards, St. Leonards. Granted.
George Harder, Newstead Inn, New stead. Granted.
James Millwood, Mount Arthur. Inn, Pattersonia. Granted
Thomas Rosevear, Rose, West Tamar (reduced fee). Granted.
Mary Anne Spearman, Racecourse, Mowbray. Granted.
Robert Smiley, Junction, Piper River road (reduced fee). Granted.
William Titmus, Lisle, Lisle. Granted.
Michael Whelan, East Tamar,. East Tamer (reduced rate), Refused
Daniel Wenn, Traveller’s Rest, Muddy Plains-road. Granted.

Andrew Anderson, Tamar, William street. Granted.
John Clydesdale, Shamrock, Elizabeth- street. Granted.
John Chalmers, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst. street. Granted.
Joseph Huston, Criterion, St. John street, Granted.
Mary Jane M’Caveston, Ray’s Royal Exchange, George-street. Granted.
Robert B. Smith, All-the-Year Round, Wellington-road. Granted.
John Watson, City, St. John-street. Granted.
SELBY TRANSFER. Emma Dyer, Hadspen, Hadspen. Granted.

Thomas A. Bird, Albion Hotel, George and York street. Granted.
Henry Crabtree, Marine, Esplanade. Conditionally granted.
Dionysius Williams, Williams’s Family, William and Lower George streets. Granted.

Robert Barker, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane. Granted.
George Laird, Breadalbane, Breadalbane. Withdrawn.

Launceston Examiner, 3 December 1883

Macquarie Hotel, Evandale

cnr Macquarie & Barclay Streets, Evandale

1861-68 Ann Richards, Macquarie Hotel, Evandale
1871-73 Philip Mullane, Macquarie Hotel, Evandale.
1875-6* Richard Chugg, Macquarie Hotel, Evandale

*From assessment rolls

IMPROVEMENTS AT EVANDALE.—Mr. Richards is erecting at Evandale a building for an hotel, at the corner of Cambock and Macquarie-streets, which will not only be an ornament to the township, but also a great acquisition to travellers passing to and from the White Hills; and should a license be granted it will be the means of the township improving and extending in that locality. The proprietor has spared no expense in order to meet the requirements of the inhabitants, having attached a very large room for holding meetings, &c.
Launceston Examiner, 25 October 1860

EVANDALE LICENSING MEETING — At the licening meeting at Evandale a few days since, all the old licenses were renewed, and a new license was granted to Mrs. Richards for a house to be called the “Macquarie Hotel.”
Launceston Examiner, 17 December 1861

Launceston Examiner, 13 March 1862

Evandale and Perth.
A Public Meeting will be held at Mrs. Richard’s Hotel, at Evandale, on Thursday next, at 12 o’clock; and at Perth the same evening, at 7 o’clock, when the Rev. Dr. Browne will attend to explain the benefits to be derived from the establishment of Fust Office Savings Banks.

Cornwall Chronicle, 20 August 1862

The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tas. : 1835 – 1880) Sat 11 Feb 1865

The usual quarterly licensing meeting was held on Monday at this township. The only business brought before the court was an application made by Mr Peter Smith for a transfer to himself of the license held by Mr Milan for the public house known as the Macquarie Inn. The application was refused, upon what grounds we know not. Mr Smith, however, is not satisfied, and intends to appeal against the refusal.

Weekly Examiner, 9 May 1874

EVANDALE.-On Tuesday a Court of A General Sessions was held at Evandale Messrs J. Whitehead, R. H. Douglas, and D. Collins, occuping the Bench. The cause celebre was an appeal raised by Mr Peter Smith, against a refusal by the Licensing Bench to grant him a transfer is of the licence held by Mr Milan for the house known as the Macquarie Hotel. Mr A. Douglas appeared for the appellant, and produced testimonials as to his good character. After discussion the appeal was disallowed, on the ground that applicant had misconducted himself when in the police, the Warden having reported to the Bench that if applicant had not resigned his position in the Evandale police force an information would have been laid against him.
Launceston Examiner, 21 May 1874

During the past few months the public mind at Evandale seem to have been seriously disturbed owing to alleged irregularities on the part of the “powers that be” in their police administration. The facts which have come under our notice are briefly as follows : -Some few months ago in consequence of “information received,” Peter Smith, Sub-Inspector, accompanied by William Murnane, a petty constable of the Evandale police, proceeded to the house of Mrs Dinih Duffell, landlady of the “Patriot King Hotel,” one of the most respectable hostelries in the district, and seized an illicit still. A summons was duly issued and Mrs Duffell appeared to answer it on the 30th of December, before the Warden and Mr James Cox, when she pleaded guilty, having first been given to understand that the prosecution was a pro forma one, and that the penalty would be merely nominal, as it was perfectly clear that she was ignorant of the article in her possession–it having been left at her house by a Mrs O’Brien. The Bench, however, much to the surprise of all, fined defendant £10. Some days afterwards a report gained currency on the township to the effect that “all was not right” in respect to the still case,” and that if the defendant had not been induced to plead: guilty an expose would have been the result. It was said that Constable Murnane had alleged that between the date on which the still had been seized, and the date on which the summons against Mrs. Duffell was returnable, additions had been made to the still in order that a good case might be made out; and that Murnano observing that the still was not in the same state as when seized had informed the Superintendent that if placed in the witness box he would acquaint the Bench of the fact that additions had been made to the still. In consequence of this report becoming generally circulated, throughout the district it was deemed advisable to institute an investigation. This was held with closed doors. What transpired at the enquiry is known only to those presentbut the visible result was that in a few days afterwards Sub-Inspector Smith sent in his resignation, which was accepted and he left the force. Murmane was requested to send in his resignation too, and when he asked the reason, he was told that he must do so because he had reported the irregularity re the “still case” to brother, constables in the first instance, instead of going direct to a superior officer.
Launceston Examiner, 23 May 1874

To the Editor of the Examiner.
Sir,—Permit me to correct a few errors which appeared in last Saturday’s Examiner, in reference to the Evandale illicit still case. In the first place there was no private investigation held to my knowledge ; the council held their usual monthly meeting on the 3rd of March. After all the business was over the chamber door was closed for a few seconds. Previous to that meeting my resignation was in the hands of the Warden for some time. My cause for resigning, as I have before stated, was that I was in treaty for the purchase of the Macquarie Hotel, Evandale, and not because I had anything to fear from false accusations being made against my character. It is true I applied to the Licensing Bench on the 4th of May for the transfer of the licence but was refused, one Magistrate for and two against me. The Bench consisted of three Magistrates, viz.: Messrs Whitehead, Douglas, and Collins. I appealed against the decision 011 the 19tli inst. and, as a matter of course, was refused. The Warden gave nie a good character and informed the Bench that I would not have been dismissed, and that he had known me for many years both before and since this district was declared a municipality, and always found me truthful and honest in the discharge of my duty as a constable, and he considered me a fit and proper person to keep an hotel. Adye Douglas, Esq., also informed the Bench that Councillors Bryan and Dowie were present to 6peak 011 my behalf ; he also produced a petition signed by fifty-two of the most influential residents of the district, and also several excellent testimonials of character. Now Sir, I would appeal to you and the public generally if this is not a hard case, after a man laying out all his savings on a property in this way, and then to be ruined by mere hearsay, having been a public servant in the two principal towns of the colony, besides several villages. Surely there must Joe something more than the people who so kindly signed the petition, and I myself are aware of. in the whole affair.
—I am, Sir, yours respectfully,
May 27.
Weekly Examiner, 30 May 1874

FIRE AT EVANDALE.—Some excitement was caused on the usually quiet township of Evandale on Saturday night by the cry of fire, when the stable at the rear of the Macquarie Hotel was seen to be in flames. The fire was first noticed about 11 o’clock by Mr J. Rose, at the time staying at the hotel, who observed a light inside the stable, and immediately gave the alarm. An effort was at once made to rescue a valuable horse which was at the time in the stable, but the flames had got such a hold of the building that it was found impossible to get near the animal, which was literally roasted. The building and also a ton and a half of hay which had been stacked in it during the day, were also totally destroyed. The former, however, was insured in the Cornwall office for £50. Mr Chugg had only that day been offered £20 for the horse.
Weekly Examiner, 6 February 1875

Launceston Examiner, 15 May 1875

From “Bankruptcy Court” (Peter Smith):
In reply to Mr Collins, the bankrupt said—The only property I possess is my pension—£15 4s a-year. Before my bankruptcy I kept the “Macquarie Hotel,” Evandale. I was to pay £650 for the hotel to Mr Atkins, as agent for the owners. I paid £100 on account of the purchase. I gave up possession in January to Mr Richard Chugg on condition that he would arrange with Mr Atkins to take it on the same terms that I had bought it. I was not to receive a shilling for letting him into the house.
Weekly Examiner, 22 May 1875

Launceston Examiner, 2 October 1875

I understand an attempt will be made to get a license for the old Macquarie Hotel. We, the public of this municipality, do not require any more houses of refreshment of this kind–just now, at any rate.
Launceston Examiner, 18 November 1879

Visitors to Evandale, if they wish to note the many improvements that are being pushed forward in the building line, ought not to neglect to take a walk or drive round in the locality of the old Macquarie Hotel. They will there see the commodious premises lately erected by Mr E. Atkins. The ground on which they stand once belonged to the late Mr Barrett, and the building is a striking contrast to the former bare paddock. Then, again, Mr W. Rawsthorn is building a very neat five-roomed brick cottage in close proximity to Sir Atkins’, on which was once a portion of land covered with gorse, and lately belonging to Mr William Ritchie, of Launceston.
Daily Telegraph, 23 June 1885

Last evening the monthly meeting of the Loyal Clarendon Lodge, I.O.O.F.M.U., took place in the Council Chambers. As the Council is about to make extensive alterations the lodges had to leave, and the Oddfellows took steps to secure another building for their meetings. The old Macquarie Hotel was offered, which would require £200 to put in repair. The Wesleyan schoolroom was offered by the trustees on a lease at 4s per meeting. The latter was accepted, and the secretary was ordered to advertise the same.

Launceston Examiner, 17 March 1887

The Macquarie Hotel is now one heap of smouldering ashes, and nothing is to be . seen ‘but the walls of the ballroom, and the bar. The middle of the building was weatherboard and lath and plaster. A great many people visited the place yesterday. Constable King was passed there at 4 o’clock in the morning, and it was all right at that time. At about 6.30 Mr Sutton saw the flames coming through the roof, and he ran up the street calling out fire. The police and others were soon on the spot, but it was found that the fire had got a good hold, and the building could not be saved. The, large room used by the Evandale Brass Band to practice in was broken into, and a stand, pier glass, and two stools taken out. The other seats had to be left, as the fire was too hot to stand against. Webber’s water cart was soon placed at the service of the police, and all efforts were directed to saving the adjoining shop, which was only 4ft from the burning building. Mr Chamly got on to the ridge, and had water handed to him, and when he could stand it no longer Mr Webber relieved him. Eventually the shop was out of danger, and the adjoining property saved. The cause of the fire is a mystery, but it is generally supposed that it was wilfully done. It was attempted some time back, but was seen and extinguished by Mr. Farmer before it got a hold of the building. Mr Chugg, the owner, had advertised for tenders for a new roof, as he had let the place, the tenders to close on Saturday next, but now they will not be required. The fire was first noticed at 6.30, and at 8 o’clock there was nothing left but the walls. It being Sunday morning, most of the people were in bed when the fire commenced. A word of praise is due to our young men, who are ever ready to lend a helping hand when they are wanted to save life or property.

Daily Telegraph, 16 August 1887

On Sunday morning, 14th inst., at about 20 minutes to 7, the Macquarie Hotel was discovered to be on fire by Mr. Sutton, who lives in Murray-street. He ran up Arthur-street giving the alarm, and in a few minutes the police, with a number of others were on the spot, and it was found that the building was naming in three places ; the whole structure being one mass of flames. Mr. Chamily scrambled up on to the roof of a small shop adjoining, and although the heat was intense he worked hard to save his place, and was subsequently relieved by Mr. Webber, the police, assisted by Mr. R. Farmer and others, banding up water, and the shop was eventually saved. The hotel is, however, now one smouldering heap of ashes. The wind was blowing from the south at the time of the outbreak, and had it been blowing from the north in all probability three more places would have been destroyed. The large room of the hotel was rented by the Evandale Brass Band for a practice room, and they have lost all their forms but two, which were got out. The others could not be saved. An apparent attempt was made to set fire to this place some short time ago, but the flames were put out before they got any hold. A word of praise is due to our young men who worked so hard at a time when help was required. I almost forgot to mention that Mrs. Webber was the only one that sent a water cart, and which did good service.

The Mercury, 19 August 1887

Prince of Wales — Plough Inn(2), Evandale

1842-43 William Sutton, Prince of Wales, Evandale.
1843-44 Patrick Walsh, Prince of Wales, Evandale.
1845–> licence transferred to new building
1845 William Peck, Plough Inn, Evandale
1846 John/Stephen Murphy, Plough Inn, Evandale –refused

NEW LICENSES GRANTED. Mr. Peck obtained a license for the house formerly kept by Mr. Walsh at Evandale, and then known as the Prince of Wales. Mr. Walsh had transferred his license to another house in the township, and Mr. Peck changes the Prince of Wales to the Plough Inn.
5 November 1845

W. Peck, Plough Inn, Evandale; late Prince of Wales-granted. The former license being transferred to a new house situate in the immediate vicinity of the township at Evandale.
Launceston Advertsier, 6 November 1845

John Murphy, Plough Inn, Evandale.—Suspected of Sunday trading.
Mr. Breton and Major Welman gave Mr. Murphy a most excellent character.
Mr. Wales.— There are four public-houses at Evendale, and one or two would be ample for the necessities of the place

Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1846

From “Quarter Sessions”:
An appeal was lodged by Mr. Stephen Murphy of Evandale, but no one appeared, and it was not entertained.
Launceston Examiner, 23 September 1846

Prince Albert & Plough Inn (1), Evandale

(Combining these for convenience)

1843 William Peck, Prince Albert, Evandale — refused

William Peck, for premises at Evandale. Objected to by Messrs. Wales, Cox and Hartley, as unnecessary.
Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1843

1840 W. Sidebottom, Plough Inn, Evandale
1841 W. Sidebottom, Plough Inn, Evandale

Mr. Sidebottom was refused a license for the Plough Inn, Evandale, on the ground of the situation being very objectionable.
Launceston Advertiser, 3 September 1840

LICENSED VICTUALLERS.-We regret to be informed that at the last licensing day in Launceston, one of the Police Magistrates exhibited some little caprice on the bench, in reference to Mr. Willis, licensed victualler at Evandale, who is so well known to have kept aa most respectable house of accommodation. It appears that Mr. Willis has been too independent, and perhaps, not so liberal as may have been required ; and consequently unsuitable, according to the views of the Worshipful functionary of that district. But the best of the joke is, that an attempt was made to transfer the license to a common shoe-maker of the name of Sidebottom, whose habits of life are well known to render him unfit for such a situation. We have no doubt but that His Excellency will not sanction an act calculated to inflict so much injury upon the family of an unoffending man, who, perhaps, cannot bow and scrape sufficiently low, and who has not, perhaps, pen, ink, and paper, always at hand. We also earn that another publican in Launceston has been refused his license, for a reason which has not been objected to here under similar circumstances.
Colonial times, 8 September 1840

Prince of Wales, Evandale

10 August 2013

1842-43 William Sutton, Prince of Wales, Evandale.
1843-44- Patrick Walsh, Prince of Wales, Evandale.
1845–> licence transferred to new building, old building becomes Plough Inn
1845 Patrick Walsh, Prince of Wales Evandale
1846-49 William Peck, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1849-51 John King, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1853 Edward Davis, Prince of Wales, Evandale Transfer
1854-61- Arthur S. Hall, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1861*-69 William Sidebottom, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1870-75? Robert Saunders, Prince of Wales Hotel, Evandale transfer
1875 William Turner, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1881 T. Tuck, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1883-91 Edward Hardman, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1891 Michael Markey, Prince of Wales, Evandale
1892+ Elise Markey, Prince of Wales, Evandale

* William Sidebottom was an innkeeper at Evandale when he married in 1861

29 January 2012

From “Annual Licensing Meeting”:
Miss Perkins and William Sutton, applied for licenses at Evandale. The sense of the meeting was taken into whether another house was required in the district ; upon a division there were six on each side, and the Chairman decided in favour of a second house. The respective merits of the two applications were then discussed, and a decision given in favor of Mr. Sutton by the Chairman’s casting vote.
Launceston Courier, 5 September 1842

On Saturday last an information came on to be heard at the Evandale Police-office, before Robert Wales and James Cox, Esquires, which, from its importance as affecting the licensed victualler, we were induced to have a reporter present, and now furnish the proceeding in full : — The information was brought by a petty constable of the name of Daniel Pestel, against Mr. William Sutton, land lord of ” The Prince of Wales Inn,” at Evandale, for receiving a promissory note in payment for liquors supplied at his house to one Peter Morgan. Mr. Rocher appeared in support of the information, and Mr. Sutton was defended by Mr. A. Douglas, when the following evidence was adduced : — .
William Mitchell called. — I am a farmer, and know Peter Morgan ; he has been in my employ about eight years ; I settled up with him on account of wages on the 28th June ; I gave him a bill for £51 10s., and sold him a pair of colts for a further sum due to him ; I made a minute of the account when I settled.

28 August 1843

Patrick Walsh, Evandale, being the house formerly occupied by Mr. Sutton. Some argument took place respecting the granting of this license, but it was ultimately carried, on the consideration that two licensed houses were better than only one, to prevent monopoly.
Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1843

Last year a protracted discussion took place relative to a license at Evandale, which was carried by the casting vote of the Chairman. A question was put direct to the police magistrate of the district, whether that license had been productive of benefit. The police magistrate, who warmly supported the license, was compelled to acknowledge that the reverse was the case, but he attributed the evil to the person who kept the house not being of reputable conduct. The license, however, was renewed to a another party [Patrick Walsh].
Teetoal Advocate, 4 September 1843

NEW LICENSES GRANTED. Mr. Peck obtained a license for the house formerly kept by Mr. Walsh at Evandale, and then known as the Prince of Wales. Mr. Walsh had transferred his license to another house in the township, and Mr. Peck changes the Prince of Wales to the Plough Inn.
5 November 1845

29 January 2012

W. Peck, Plough Inn, Evandale; late Prince of Wales-granted. The former license
being transferred to a new house situate in the immediate vicinity of the township at Evandale.

Launceston Advertsier, 6 November 1845

William Peck, Prince of Wales, Evandale.—Badly conducted house and a dealer in licenses.
Mr. Bartley. — There is so much trafficking in licenses, that I shall not be surprised to see them advertised for sale by public auction.

Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1846

Mr. John King, on applying for his transfer, from Mr. Peck, of the Prince of Wales, at Evandale. It was stated that he (King) had transferred his license but a short time previously, to Radford. Mr. Wales here said that there were two applications for two of the best houses in the colony ; but he would not oppose him. The applicant had conducted the house, the time he had been in it, in a very superior manner. Mr. Douglas stated on behalf of King, that Peck was the original holder of the licence now held by the applicant. As to King letting his house to Radford, and then so shortly applying for a fresh license, why it was according to the regular routine of business. Certainly Fall had built splendid premises, but, that is no reason why King should fall. Mr. Wales thought that four good houses would prevent the abuses existing in the various lodging and eating houses in the township; he therefore could not in justice refuse. Mr. Collett spoke highly of King’s conduct, and on the chairman putting it to the vote, the transfer was granted.
Cornwall Chronicle, 5 September 1849

Launceston Examiner, 7 July 1852

George Smith applied for a license for the Prince of Wales Inn, formerly kept by Mr. W. King. The clerk of the peace read a letter from the police magistrate of Morven, recommending the rejection of the applicant. Mr. J. B. Thomas, who was empowered to act on behalf of the A P. M. of Morven, said, from circumstances which had come under his observations, he could not entertain the application ; it would be disgraceful on the part of the bench to comply with it. Mr. Thomas considered the applicant totally unfit, and disgraceful, for a Licensed Victualler. Had he been a man of respectable character, he might have obtained certificates of character from several gentlemen, residents on the Nile, whose names Mr. Thomas enumerated.
Mr. Douglas, solicitor, stated that the applicant had resided some years on the Nile, and by a course of frugality, and honest industry, had collected a sum of money sufficient to embark in the business of a publican ; he was considered, however, on hearsay evidence and idle rumours, as unfit for that business ; although there was nothing tangible against him. He (Mr. Douglas) begged an adjournment, in order that he might produce satisfactory certificates of Mr. Smith’s character. According to Mr. Douglas’ idea, the argument of the bench went to show that applicant would not be an honor to the profession of a publican !
Mr. Thomas. — If Smith was a respectable character, he could have procured indisputable recommendations from gentlemen residing at the Nile. Why did he not obtain the signature of the Police Magistrate ?
Mr. Douglas.— Had Mr. Smith anticipated any opposition, he would have been prepared to meet it by the production of certificates of character ; and all be (Mr. Douglas) asked, was to allow him a fair opportunity of so doing, which could be done by an adjournment of the meeting.
Mr. Thomas hoped the bench would neither grant the licence, nor agree to an adjournment.
Mr. Douglas in suggesting an adjournment, had no other object in view than affording Applicant time to procure the desired certificates.
Mr. Gregson considered it merely a matter of reputation.
The Clerk of the Peace here read a letter from the law officers of the crown, as to the legality of an adjournment under the circumstances.
Mr. Evans thought that if any ambiguous point arose as to the legality of the proceeding, the better course to adopt would be to make another application to the law officers of the crown, — which staff had lately undergone considerable change— who might give a contrary opinion to that contained in the document just read by Mr. Kennedy.
After much desultory discussion, it was agreed with two exceptions, to postpone the decision of the bench for a fortnight.
Cornwall Chronicle, 4 September 1852

ADJOURNED LICENSING MEETING.-A meeting of magistrates was held on Thursday to consider an application from George Smith, for a license for the “Prince of Wales” Inn at Evandale, formerly held by Mr. J. King. This application stood over from the annual meeting, to allow time for the applicant to produce testimonials, which were now put in; but they were not considered satisfactory, and the magistrates were all but unanimous in refusing to grant the license.
Launceston Examiner, 18 September 1852

The first application was from Edward Davis for the transfer of his license, Prince of Wales Inn, Evandale, to S. A. Hall. There was no objection offered, and the transfer was granted.
Hobart Guardian, 6 May 1854

Launceston Examiner, 19 October 1861

James Lank was charged with bestiality. The offence was committed on 31st July, in the urinal of the Prince of Wales public house at Evandale, but of course the details are quite unfit for publication. Whilst the first witness was being examined the prisoner fainted. A glass of water was obtained, and Dr. Rock, who was present in Court, attended him. In the course of a few minutes the prisoner having sufficiently recovered, he was accommodated with a chair in the dock, and the trial proceeded. In his defence prisoner stated that he was not guilty : he should scorn the act ; but he admitted that he was very drunk at the time in question. The evidence was most conclusive, and the jury after retiring for a few minutes, returned into Court with a verdict of guilty.
Launceston Examiner, 11 September 1866

The Cornwall Chronicle, 13 February 1871

Launceston Examiner, 24 April 1875

The Cornwall Chronicle, 22 September 1875

The Cornwall Chronicle, 11 Octpber 1875

Edward Hardman, applied for a license for the Prince of Wales Hotel, Evandale. No complaints. Mr. Mackinnon said that he had seen letters in the newspapers, and that if the statements contained in those letters were correct there ought to be complaints. The Superintendent of Police said that he believed that the statements were incorrect. Granted.
Launceston Examiner, 3 December 1883

Young Town Inn

1859 Edward Davies, Young Town Inn, Young Town
1860 William Lloyd Jones, Young Town Inn, Young Town transfer
1862 John Drake, Young Town Inn, Young Town transfer
1863-1867 John Baker, Young Town Inn, Young Town transfer
1868 Joseph Stanley, Young Town Inn, Young Town
1869 Isaac Coote, Young Town Inn, Young Town
1870-77 John Baker, Young Town Inn, Young Town

Edward Davies, Young Town Inn, YoungTown.
This license was granted on the ground that it was erected at the turn off on the direct road to the White Hills, and would do away with the necessity for travellers to and from the White Hills going about three quarters of a mile out of their way to Franklin Village to obtain refreshment.
Cornwall Chronicle, 3 December 1859

WL. JONES having obtained the transfer of the licence of the Young Town Inn, begs to remind his customers and friends that they will receive every accommodation with civility, that can be rendered.
August 11
Cornwall Chronicle, 15 September 1860.

Sports. Sports. Sports
At Young Town Inn.
QUOITS, skittles, jumping in sacks, climbing the pole, foot race for a watch, a pig. and other sports of every description on BOXING SAY, at Young
Town Inn.
Cornwall Chronicle, 22 December 1860

Undersigned begs to inform the public, that he has good stabling, and that every accommodation to parties by their own conveyance will be found at the above Inn.
Every morning coffee is ready at five o’clock and all parties stopping at the above Inn will have the advantage of one hour more rest, and a certainty of being called
W. L. Jones.
Cornwall Chronicle, 5 October 1861

Launceston Examine, 21 March 1867

RAILWAY WORKS.-A good many persons from town visited the works at Jingler’s Valley on Saturday afternoon. Although comparatively only a few men were at work, the scene was one of pleasing animation. Hut and tent building formed the principal occupation, but a cutting and filling of several feet showed that “the pick and shovel men” had commenced operations. Persons wishing to visit the locality will to glad to learn that the road that turns off at the back of the Young Town Inn leads to the very spot. It is impossible to miss the way, but visitors must a be careful to close the two gates through which to they past.
Launceston Examiner, 25 August 1868

QUARTERLY LICENSING MEETING.— At the quarterly meeting held in the Court House on Monday morning, a license was
granted to Mr Benjamin West for the Scottish Chief Hotel, Wellington street; and the license to the Young Town Inn was transferred from Mr Joseph Stanley to Mr Isaac Coote.

Cornwall Chronicle, 3 February 1869

Launceston Examiner, 28 November 1876

SUDDEN DEATH.—Mr John Baker, a very old resident at Young Town, died rather suddenly on Monday morning. He was nearly 70 years of age, and went from his house about 9 a.m. to the bush, which is close by, to get a barrowload of wood. Mrs Baker shortly afterwards went to meet him, and found him. lying on the ground, face downwards, quite dead. Mr Baker suffered from heart disease, and had been under medical treatment at various times. An inquest was held at the Swan Inn, King’s Meadows, Wednesday morning, before Thos. Mason, Esq., Coroner, when the foregoing facts were elicited in evidence, and a verdict was returned in accordance with the medical testimony.
Weekly Examiner, 28 July 1877

Launceston Examiner, 21 February 1879

Noah’s Ark

cnr Margaret & Brisbane Streets

1859 Alfred Fowler, Margaret and Brisbane Streets
1859-1860 Robert Cotton, The Ark, Margaret and Brisbane Streets transfer
1860 Alfred Fowler, Ark, Margaret and Brisbane Streets transfer
1860 Patrick Torley, The Ark, Margaret and Brisbane-streets

From assessment rolls, southern side of Brisbane st, possible eastern corner.

Alfred Fowler, premises in Brisbane and Margaret-streets.
The Police Magistrate said the house was not in a fit state to be occupied, much more to hold a license, and was not wanted in the neighborhood ; there was the Hibernia
Inn and the Elephant and Castle near.
Refused as not necessary.
Launceston Examiner, 2 December 1858

Alfred Fowler appealed against the decision of the licensing meeting, refusing to grant a license to new premises at the corner of Margaret and Brisbane-streets, on the grounds that it was not necessary and that it was not in a fit state to be occupied. After a little discussion, a license was granted.
Launceston Examiner, 4 January 1859

BREACHES OF THE LICENSING ACT. — Robert Cotton was charged on information by Mr. Superintendent O’Connor with abandoning the “Noah’s Ark” Inn, the license of which he held, and Robert Fowler was charged with selling liquors on the said premises without a license.
Launceston Examiner, 28 February 1860

BALL.–A Ball will be given at the “Noah’s Ark Hotel,” corner of Margaret and Brisbane-streets, on Monday evening, July 16. Cards of admission may be obtained of Mr. W. Turner, Hadspen; Mr. M. Simmons, Westbury ; at the George Inn, and Noah’s Ark Hotel, Launeeston. Single tickets, 5s; tickets to admit two, 7s 6d each. Refreshments included. June 18.
Launceston Examiner,19 June 1860

The Noah’s Ark Inn, Brisbane and Margaret Streets, from Patrick Torley to Alfred Fowler.
The consent of the present holder of the license had not been sent in and this was the cause of the refusal.
Cornwall Chronicle, 8 May 1861

A PUBLICAN A PAWNBROKE-Alfred Fowler, of the “Noah’s Ark,” was summoned by Mr. O’Connor, Superintendent of Police, for taking as a pledge one cotton gown, in exchange for a certain quantity of liquor supplied to Ann Anderson, there by committing a breach of the 40th clause of the Licensing Act. It appeared that the woman Anderson went to the “Ark” on the 15th instant, had two nips of rum, and being minus cash left her gown as security for payment. The defendant was fined £5 and coats. He gave notice of appeal.
Launceston Examiner, 30 April 1859

Launceston Examiner, 24 August 1860

Launceston Examiner, 14 March 1861

Torley v Fowler This waa an information laid by Mr Patrick Torley, of The Noah’s Ark Inn, who charged his landlord Mr Alfred Fowler, with making use of obscene language on the 6th inst.
Mary Ann Torley swore- I reside with my father Patrick Torley at the Noah’s Ark, in Margaret Street ; I was standing at the door of the house on Monday last, the transfer day at the Court House after the meeting of the Magistrates ; I saw the defendant Mr Fowler in Margaret-street; he was calling my father all the rogues he could think of, and said he was a lazy old fellow and need not work for he could send me out and I would keep him; he then called me a strumpet and a w— e. He called me these three or four times; there were several children listening and an old woman who was passing by stopped to listen ; my father was not at home at the time; Mr. Fowler lives next door, he was in the street when he called me the names I have menttioned ; when father came home I told him, and Mr Fowler denied having used the language; but he said to father also that he was lazy, and could have me to keep him.
Cross examined by defendant. — I did not make faces at you when you were going by ; you first passed on and then came back again and used the language I complain of; you first called me a w—e, and then you said my father was training me up to become a prostitute on the town. There were men working opposite on the road at the time.
Complainant’s evidence was corroborated by that of Sarah Taylor, a married woman residing in Brisbane street, and to some extent by the evidence of her father. Defendant said that the complainant had made faces at him when he was passing, and that although he did not call her the names she mentioned, he did call her other names; and whatever he said to her he was able to prove.
The Bench fined defendant L5 and 8s 6d costs, which he paid but said he would appeal against the decision of the Bench.
Cornwall Chronicle, 15 May 1861

Applications for Transfers
Noah’s Ark Inn.
Mr Alfred Fowler’s application for a transfer of the license for the Noah’s Ark Inn, corner of Brisbane and Margaret Street, from Patrick Torley, was refused, on the grounds stated by the Police Magistrate, that on account of former convictions against Mr. Fowler when he held the license, he was not a fit person for a Licensed Victualler. He (the Police Magistrate) had also objected to any license being granted to the house on the ground that a public house was not required there, and he still held that opinion ; neither was the house suitable as the foundation was sinking, and one side was much lower than the other.
Cornwall Chronicle, 7 August 1861

An adjourned Court of General Sessions of the Peace was held at the Court House, yes terday. There was only one case upon the paper, being an appeal by Alfred Fowler against a decision come to at the last Quar- terly Licensing Meeting, whereby he was re- fused the transfer of the Noah’s Ark public- house, at the junction of Brisbane and Mar garet-streets. Mr. Douglas appeared for the appellant, and stated that between two and three years ago his client obtained a license for the pre- mises in question, of which he was and is owner ; that he had subsequently transferred to a person named Cotton ; and that the house had eventually passed into the hands of a man named Patrick Torley, who had recently be- come insolvent, and from adversity was ne- cessitated to quit the premises, which were unlicensed and unoccupied. In support of the appeal, Mr. Douglas urged that the appel- lant would, from the fact of his owning the premises, be a fit and proper person to receive the transfer, and stated that he was a sober man, but admitted that he had other failings. Mr. Douglas added that during the period Fowler held the licence, he freely confessed that he had been fined for taking property in pledge for drink supplied, and for Sunday trading. Mr. Douglas stated that the only matter with which the Court had to deal was the character of the appellant. The learned gentleman freely acknowledged the uneven- ness of his client’s temper. The Mayor remarked that he had always considered the license unnecessary, as a public house was not required in the neighborhood of the Noah’s Ark; he still thought so. He was not aware of any gross immorality upon the part of the appellant. In reply to Mr. Jennings, Mr. Fowler said that he was married in England to his present wife; that he had never represented that he was not married to her. The appellant stated that his wife had an interest in some trust property; but if her maiden name had been used in a deed, it must have been in mistake. Mr. Jennings said that Mr. Fowler had himself represented that he was not married. The appeal was refused.
Launceston Examiner, 3 September 1861

Cornwall Chronicle, 13 September 1861

Young Queen

Elizabeth Street

1844 Stephen Murphy, Elizabeth Street
1845 Stephen Murphy, Elizabeth Street
1846 Richard Wicks transfer
1846 Refused

Application for music and dancing license:
An application from Stephen Murphy, of the ‘Young Queen,’ Elizabeth-street, was refused ; not having a room in the house adapted for such a purpose.
Launceston Advertiser, 8 January 1846

To the Editor of the Cornwall Chronicle.
Sir, — When I have had business at Launceston I have been accustomed to stop at Mr. —s, the “— —,” in — street. I went there on Saturday-night, August 8, where I had stopped the two preceding nights. This was about shutting-up time for publicans, some being shut up as I passed along the streets and some not, but when I came to the “— ,” it was shut. I knocked at the door, and it was immediately opened by Mr. — — . I went in through the bar into the little parlour, where the family and customers frequently sit, and after sitting a few minutes I said to Mr — , “well, I think I’ll have a glass of beer, and smoke my pipe, and be off to bed.” In four or five minutes be brought the beer in and I paid him for it, and when I had smoked my pipe and drank up my beer, I asked Mr. — for a candle, which he gave me, and bidding him “good night,” I went up stairs to my bedroom; but instead of immediately undressing myself, I sat as near as I can judge about a half an hour, looking into two little books; but feeling very sleepy, I undressed myself, set a chair to my bed-side, and put the candlestick on it, so as to be able to reach to put the candle out after lying down. Just at the time I bad taken the candlestick in my hand to put the light out, Mr. — came into the room very gently; he did not speak at the very moment, but seemed confused, as I thought; after collecting himself be said, “I’m come up to see if you have lost anything. Is your money all right?” I said “yes, for anything I know, it is, but I’ll see,” and getting up I examined my trousers pocket, and took my silver out and laid it on the table, saying “that’s all right, there should be nearly a pound’s worth and there’s not far short by the appearance of it,” but did not count it. He then said, “where’s your other money : where’s your pocket book .” I said “that’s right I know, for I had it in my hand a few minutes ago, and it was right then, and its contents too,” but to satisfy him, I took my book from my inside waistcoat pocket and laid it on the table, saying ” that’s right” but did not open it. He then said, “you’re sure all’s right?” and I told him “all’s right.” He then said, “you’d better fasten your door inside, here’s a bolt under the lock. I tried to shoot the bolt but could not, as the end of the. bolt would not reach into the box, so that the door was only closed by the common spring bolt. I then returned to bed, but before I put the light out I said within myself, “I’ll not leave my book lying on the table,” and put it under my pillow, and then put the light out, and was soon too fast asleep, How long I slept I am unable to say, but when I awoke, or was awakened, I found myself in the most excruciating pain at my stomach, and so sick that I thought my heart must and would come up; still I could throw nothing up, though I tried every means I was able. I tried to get up and get to the door, and call for help, but the giddiness in my bead was so great that 1 could not even sit up in my bed, which seemed to turn round in the quickest motion, and what is singular I retained the possession of my senses. How long the pain continued so very violent I cannot exactly say, but to the best of my judgment about two hours, when it was a little easier, and I fell asleep again, and slept till daylight, still being very unwell. A few minutes after I awoke, I got up, end after dressing myself I took my silver from the table and counted it, and put it in my pocket. There was 19s. 6d. 1 then went to the pillow for my book, and it was not there. I then turned the bed clothes down, supposing , it had worked down further into the bed, but it was not there. I then turned the bed down, and found it between the bed and mattress. I immediately perceived it had been opened, from the stiring that passes round it being tied very different to the manner I always tied it myself, and on opening it I found my money was gone. I immediately went down stairs and said to Mr ? — , “”what reason had you for coming into my room to inquire about my money last night?” He answered, “you went out here last night with one of the biggest rogues in the country (but I now think I left a bigger one in.) and I thought he might have picked your pocket, and you might not find it out before morning, and then you might think you had been robbed here. I should not have come up, but the young man that lodges here recommended me to come on that account.” I answered, “that man I can clearly exonerate, as I changed a note at the “— Tavern” more than an hour after he left me, and my money was all right then; and I never was in any company afterwards, or in any house whatsoever, until I came in here.” Shortly after I saw Mrs. — , who said, ” well, you’ve been done to-night?” “Ah,” said Mr. — , “he says he’s been robbed of his money, and says he’s lost it here.” “Ah,” answered Mrs. — , “I thought he’d lost it last night, that made me send you up-stairs to see about it.” I then turned to — and said, “I understood the young man that lodges here wished you to speak to me about it.” Here he was evidently much confounded, and falteringly said, “no, it was my wife,” and she repeated the words “it was me that sent him up,” and here the conversation ended. Now,
Sir, several inferences may be drawn from the above account, as to who was the rogue; but as I am but little judge about such matters myself, 1 must beg of your readers to judge for me.
A Wayfarer.
August 19 .
Cornwall Chronicle, 22 August 1846

To the Editor of the Cornwall Chronicle.
Sir, — Having seen a letter in your last Saturday’s newspaper, signed, ” A Wayfarer,” having reference to some dishonest conduct on the part of an Innkeeper, and being informed that I am the person intended, I beg to call your attention to the real facts of the case, which are, altogether different, from those which have been stated. About three weeks ago, Saunders came to my house, and remained three days; on the Saturday afternoon he went out, and returned with a common prostitute, whom Mrs. Wicks would not allow to enter the parlour behind the bar; she then went away; he remained a little while, and drank a class of beer, and then went out again : this was about three o’clock in the afternoon; he came back again about five o’clock with a person whom he represented as the steward of the City of Sydney; he then told me he would go by the City of Sydney to Port Phillip (instead of to Adelaide); they drank four glasses of ale each; he brought out his pocket-book in the presence of this man, and looked at some papers; he (the steward) immediately induced him to leave my house, for the purpose of engaging his passage per City of Sydney; on their leaving, the remark was made, “that the man who had just left was imposing on Saunders, as the steward of the City of Sydney was a Chinese boy, and formerly cook to Mr. Raven;” I intended at that moment to prevent his going out, but had occasion to go into the tap-room to serve a customer; he left before I came back again into the parlour; he returned again shortly after ten o’clock — very drunk; his right eye cut and bleeding; he accounted for it by. saying, “the woman had done it who followed him this afternoon.” On being asked, what induced him to go into her company after Mrs. Wicks expostulating with him this afternoon? he said, “he went into a house to take a glass of ale with the steward, and during the time he was there, this woman came in, and struck him in the eye with an umbrella;” he then sat down on the sofa — appeared thoughtful and uneasy in his manner, so much, that three people who were present remarked it; after sitting about half an hour, he went to his bed; the parties who were in the parlour requested me to go up and see if he had lost anything, as they suspected something was not right — both from his manner and his constant manner of “flashing” his pocket-hook; I went up; he was sitting up in bed with the candle close to the curtains; I requested him not to put the light so near the bed; he said he was going to read a book; I said I have come up to see if your money is all right; he got out of bed and took from his trowsers pocket some silver; lie said he had changed a pound; I said there is nearly a pound’s worth there; I then asked him if his pocket book was all right; he took it from his waistcoat, but repeatedly refused to open it in my presence, saying he knew it was all right; I requested him to bolt his door; he attempted to do so, but on account of the door not being sufficiently close, it did not catch; I then held it for him on the outside until he had securely fastened it. I told the persons in the parlour that Saunders said his money was all correct. In the morning he asked the reason for my asking him if he had his money all right; I said, he seemed so uneasy that I and the other persons present suspected he had been robbed by the same parties who cut his eye; he then said he had lost three one pound notes, and that his money was quite correct when he changed the note, but be would go back to the place and see if he had dropped it; on his return he said the landlady had told him he wrapped up his pocket-book again, and lost nothing there; he then accused the young man who slept in the next room of taking it; I told him it was impossible, as his room-door was fastened on the inside while I was present, and that I had afterwards tried it; he then started for the White Hills; he had been gone about half an hour when he returned and asked me the name of my lodger, saying also, “I have turned back to put you on your puard against him, for I am confident it is he who has robbed me; I again told him the man could not get into his room, and we both went up stairs to examine the state of the lock, and found it in proper order, never having been forced; I again told him he must have lost his money when in company with the man and woman; he replied, “certainly I was in liquor, I might have dropped it when I changed the pound note;” he then left, and returned in about a week and remained until Friday the 21st; and during the whole of the five days he remained here, the last time, he never once mentioned the subject; he left on Friday, without saying a word or paying his bill. He lost money before, about twelve months ago, at the “Golden Lion;” he went out with a female and returned saying he had been robbed. John Kanes, Mr. Noble, painter, and a young man formerly storekeeper to Mr. Stuart Harvey, were the parties to whom I have referred as being in the parlour when I wept up stairs, end can prove that instead of my going up quickly, I ran up in my usual manner, and they heard me open the door.
— I remain, Sir, your obedient servant,
Richard Wicks.
August 29.
Cornwall Chronicle, 29 August 1846

Richard Wicks, Young Queen, Elizabeth-street — House dirty and ill-furnished, and strongly suspected of dishonest practices.
Mr. Jocelyn Thomas stated that a man in his employ had gone into Wicks’s, where he had his beer drugged and was afterwards robbed; it was a most scandalous proceeding.
Mr. Dry wished to know if the statement of the man who had been robbed, brought home a moral conviction in his (Mr.Thomas’) mind as to the guilt of Wicks.
Mr. Thomas. — It did, for the man is about one of the few whom I would believe.
Mr. Tarleton had taken the depositions in the case, and he had not the slightest doubt of Wicks’s guilt, although the charge could not be legally brought home to him.
Mr. Dry.— I hope such conduct will be marked in the strongest manner possible, I was aware of these circumstances before, and entertain the same impression as Mr. Tarleton — unanimously refused.

Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1846

Appeal against previous decision:
Richard Wicks, ‘Young Queen,’ Elizabeth Street. Mr. Rocher for appellant.
Mr. Rocher said the license was refused on account of ineligibility of premises, in connection with a charge made by a servant of Mr. J. B. Thomas’s, that he had been supplied with drugged spirits in the house, and robbed. Mr. Rocher called Mr. Bartlett, the publican, who stated that the man referred to had called at his house on the day referred to, in company with two loose women, and was intoxicated; and the counsel argued that the probability was the robbery complained of had been committed by them.
Captain Neilly and Friend stated that they had visited the house, since the annual meeting, and it was in every way suitable; but Mr. Atkinson said that the house was not properly furnished, and Mr. Bartley pointed out the fact that the house was not at all requisite in the neighbourhood.
Captain Gardiner, Mr. Sams, Mr. Wales, and Mr. Sinclair spoke in favour of a reversal of the decision of the annual meeting; but on the votes being taken, the decision was confirmed by 13 votes to 9.
Launceston Advertiser, 24 September 1846

Hibernia–Verandah Wine Vaults–Jubilee

72-74 Bathurst Street.  Google Maps.
SE cnr Brisbane & Bathurst Streets. Google Maps.

Bathurst and Brisbane St, 2009.

1835 Josiah Pitcher, the Hibernia, Bathurst Street
1836-38 Josiah Pitcher, Hibernia/Hibernian Inn, Launceston
1839-40 Joseph Fossey, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1840-41 Walter Hobson, Hibernia Inn/Hotel, Bathurst Street
1841-42 John Green, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1842-45 William Lewis, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1845 Edward Potts, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1845-46 Thomas Dudley, Verandah Wine Vaults, Bathurst St
1846-47 Michael O’Meara, Hibernia, Bathurst Street
1847-49 Benjamin Walford, The Hibernia, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets**
1849-61 John Green, Hibernia (Inn), Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1862-85 Jane Green, Hibernia Inn/Hibernian Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1885-86 Alfred Green, Hibernia Inn, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1886-97 George Green, Hibernia Inn, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1897 Francis Green, Hibernia Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1898 Walter David Johnston, Hibernia Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1898+ Walter David Johnston, Jubilee Hotel, Brisbane and Bathurst streets
**Change of location

Later Victoria Hotel. Now (2017) Irish Murphy’s. The current Art Deco facade dates from the 1930s. I can’t find any photos prior to this.

Photo 1942 (Jubilee Hotel, as best I can tell.)
Photo 1991


Read more