Paterson Street. Approximate location on Google Maps.
Formerly & afterwards Cornwall Coffee Rooms
Paterson St, December 2016. The White Horse adjoined the old Examiner building (the red, white & yellow building), so on the site of the brick and glass addition.
1845-46 John Mills, White Horse, Paterson Street
1846 James Johnson, White Horse, Paterson Street
1846-48 Mary Ann Johnson, White Horse, Paterson Street
1848-50 William Hedger, White Horse, Patterson Street
On the left. (Cropped from photo in QVMAG Collection, QVM:2002:P:0014.)
Paterson St, 1940s (low two-storey building, two doors along from the National. Tall brick building is the Examiner building).
Paterson St, 1970 (on the left).
(I know the links aren’t working.)
Launceston Advertiser, 4 September 1845
Mr. John Mills, White Horse, Patterson Street, formerly Cornwall Temperance Coffee
Mr. Douglas opposed this application on the same grounds as the Angel Inn [not required due to number of existing houses], but thought in doing it was useless; he did so in justice to his clients.
Mr. Rocher supported the application, and stated that the house was built by the particular direction of the magistrates for a licensed house. As regards it being so very close to another public house, there was a building between them, which was not the case with the Enfield Hotel and the Bull’s Head.
Mr Douglas contended that the house was not required; and when a license had been granted some years ago, neither Mr. Taylor’s nor Mr. Sweeney’s were licensed houses. The applicant was highly recommended— granted.
Launceston Advertiser, 4 September 1845
Launceston Advertiser, 5 February 1846
Launceston Examiner, 27 May 1846
Cornwall Chronicle, 15 August 1846
Launceston Examiner, 4 September 1847
Marriage Mary Ann Johnson to William Hedger, 18 December 1847 (RGD 37/1/6)
A Game of Skittles–“All work and no play will never do ;” so thought a son of Crispin, and having done “awl” his work, the lad of “wax,” proceeded to the skittle ground of the ‘ White Horse,’ in Patterson-street, to recreate at the pegs, having the ball in his hand which would have made an excellent lapstone ; and conceiving himself a dabster at the game of “knock ’em down,” his courage bristled up to that degree, that he offered two bob, on the event of tipping all nine ; to induce the byestanders, to close the wager, he pitched a one pound note on the ground. Two young gentlemen who “left their country for their country’s good,” observing the transaction, got possession of the note. The shoemaker not liking to be soled, secured one of the gents, the other fled. However, through the vigilance of the detective, he was apprehended. Their names are Harper and Hacket. When taken before the Police Magistrates yesterday, they were found guilty, and each sentenced to eighteen months’ imprisonment, with hard labour. The prosecutor observed to a friend on leaving the office, “they also deserved a good” leathering.”
Cornwall Chronicle, 9 December 1848
Perry, the celebrated American pugilist who recently arrived here from Sydney per steamer “Shamrock,” takes a benefit at Mr. Hedger’s, the “White Horse,” Patterson-street, this evening ; unlike the generality of pugilists, Perry is a well informed man, of quiet and unobtrusive manners, he is upwards of six feet in height, and of herculean proportions ; he defeated Hough the Sydney Champion a short time back in four minutes and a half. The admirers of the art of self defence will have an opportunity of witnessing what is technically termed “Science.” Perry has repeatedly fought in the English ring, and was invariably victorious.
Cornwall Chronicle, 16 January 1850
At the sale by auction yesterday, by Mr. J. A. Eddle, the lease of Camperdown for seven years, was purchased by H. Hopkins. Esq., Junior, for £370. The adjolning estate of 2560 acres was purchased by M. Ralston, Esq., for £2000. The premises in Patterson-street, known as the “White Horse,” were purchased by Mr. J. Aikenhead for £410. A house on the Windmill-hill was sold to Mr. Joshua Lyons for £150.
Launceston Examiner, 28 May 1851
Cornwall Chronicle, 15 February 1851
Cornwall Chronicle, 10 July 1852