Railway Station, Echuca, Victoria

Railway station at Echuca including interior, public toilet, platform & some surrounding structures.

The railway reached Echuca in 1864, and transformed the town into a major river port, with the opening of the Echuca Wharf and substantial urban growth in the 1870s. In 1876, the Deniliquin and Moama Railway Company opened their 71 km (44 mi) long private railway northwards to Deniliquin. The brick station building at Echuca was provided on opening of the line, along with a double gable roofed brick goods shed, and three road locomotive depot. The station building was expanded in 1877, a large water tower being erected in the same year (demolished in 1977), and the iron footbridge was added in 1880. The concrete rail bridge over the Murray River to the north of the station opened in 1989, replacing a road and rail bridge which opened in 1878.

Read more

Prime Minister’s Suite, Old Parliament House, Canberra

Main Post: Old Parliament House
The Prime Minister’s suite of rooms is situated in the northeast corner of Old Parliament House, an area that was occupied by the Prime Minister and his staff throughout the life span of the building.
. . .
The suite as it exists today was occupied by three Prime Ministers: Gough Whitlam (occupied it between 1972 to 1975), Malcolm Fraser (occupied it between 1975 to 1983) and Bob Hawke (occupied it between 1983 – 1988), and included offices (for the Prime Minister and his staff), an anteroom for press conferences (also used as a waiting room) and bathrooms.
. . .
Positions that worked in this suite included the principal private secretary, private secretaries, stenographers, senior advisors, advisors, ministerial officers, telephonists and secretarial staff. By the end of the 1980s more than 30 people, with others coming and going at busy times, filled every available corner of this maze of offices.

Museum of Australia Democracy

Photos are presented are in the order they were taken.

Read more

Cellar, Woolmers

At Woolmers Estate, near Longford. The steps down to the cellar are at the end there, on the other side of the railing.

At the top is an information panel that says:

Part of the original construction of the weatherboard homestead. The Cellar rooms are paved in sandstone flags and have a ceiling height of 2700mm (9 feet). Drainage pits in the floors of each room appear to maintain a steady level. Pin in room 4 remains constantly empty. Vaulted storage bins added in 1840s. Possibly to house the cider barrels.

Original entrance to the cellar was through a trap door from inside the house. Present entrance down timber topped brick steps install in the 1840s.

Look up

Through first doorway.

Through second doorway.

Now heading back

Back through here

And there's another room to the side

And out!

Courtyard, Narryna

Courtyard at rear of house, Narryna, Battery Point, Hobart. Kitchen wing to the left. Pantry & laundry to the right. Photos from beyond the gate at bottom of this post. Larger image

Facing the other way. On the right, kitchen wing with servants room above. Entrance to main house under the low roof at the back.

On the right, kitchen wing with servants room above. Entrance to main house under the low roof at the back,with bedroom window above. Pantry and laundry to the left.

Tower (bottom to top): back hall, dressing room, crow's next

Entrance to main house.



Back corner of courtyard.

Beyond the gate.

Signale gun.

Try pot.

Try pot.

Coach house & stables.

Through gate back to courtyard.

Kitchen, Commandant’s House/Canarvon Hotel

Larger image

From on-site panels:

When the penal settlement closed in 1877, tourists flocked to the area. In 1885 Port Arthur was renamed Carnarvon and the Commandant's House converted into the Carnavon Hotel. Over the next 70 years it was used as a boarnding house and private residence.

When this kitchen was added in 1854, by Commandant James Boyd, it only catered for a family of four or five. When operating as a hotel the kitchen would cater for between 12 and 30 guests. Most meals were plain English fare -- roasts, boiled meat, boiled vegetables and pudding. Meal preparation consumed much time and energy.

There a number of smaller storage rooms in this area. The light wasn't very good for photos, but I've included two them below.

The one below was labelled as "Store/pantry".

Former Bedroom & Nursery, Narryna

Larger image

Narryna, Battery Point, Hobart. Other rooms are under the Narryna tag.

These two rooms are currently used as exhibition rooms. According to information onsite, the larger of the rooms (the one in the photos above and below) was originally the man bedroom with a foyer and dressing room. There are signs on the floor, architraves and cornices (not shown) that indicate where the walls used to be.

The second exhibition room (through here) was a second nursery room.

Through to nursery.

Main Stairs, Narryna

Stairs up from entrance hall. Larger image.

Narryna, Battery Point, Hobart. Other rooms are under the Narryna tag.

Partway up the stairs is a door leading to a dressing room and through that to the servants quarters.

On the landing, there are doors to the bedroom, nursery (not shown here)

and front room that used to be a bedroom.

More stairs continue up.

To a small room that was built as an open balcony/crow's next but later converted to a bathroom.

First floor landing from top of stairs. Doors, left to right: bedroom, front exhibition rooms/former bedroom & nursery.

Entrance Hall & Back Hall, Narryna

Entrance hall, looking back towards main entrance. Larger image.

Narryna, Battery Point, Hobart. Other rooms are under the Narryna tag.

Entrance hall leads through to these steps down to a back hall. To the right is the back door. To the left, the kitchen and back stairs.

Back door, leading to courtyard.

Back stairs and kitchen (through door on right).

Upstairs to servants quarters and back entrance to bedrooms.

Back Hall, Upstairs, Narryna

Stairs up from back hallLarger image.

Narryna, Battery Point, Hobart. Other rooms are under the Narryna tag.

Top of the stairs.

Hall gives access to servants quarters on the right and continues through to dressing room.

From hall to dressing room.

Dressing room.

Door leads out to the main staircase.

Down to entrance hall and public/living rooms (breakfast room, drawing room & dining room). Up to bedrooms and nursery.