College Arms

Cameron Street?

Is this the Black Swan under another name? The only mention of “College Arms” is in the list of licensed publicans for the year 1830, under “New Licenses Granted”:

Over the next few months, Caryl is in trouble for habouring:

20 December 1830: charged with having harboured in his public house, at Launceston, for the purpose of tippling after 8 o’clock, two convicts — charge dismissed.

28 March 1831: charged with allowing a prisoner to remain in his house, whose pass had expired two days ; fined £2 and costs.

20 June 1831 : charged with harbouring two convicts illegally at large. Decision referred to the quarter sessions, it being the third offence.

Then in July, the licence for the Black Swan, Brisbane Street is transferred from Caryl to Neil Campbell:
Hobart Town Courier, 30 July 1831
Hobart Town Courier, 30 July 1831

North Esk Inn — St Leonards Hotel, St Leonards

327 St Leonards Rd, St Leonards. Google maps.

Dscf9147

1857-59 R. Lewis, North Esk Inn, Patterson Plains/St Leonards
1860-63 Walter Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1863 John Martin, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1863 Thomas Humphreys, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1864 James Ley, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1865-66 Henry Walbourne, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1867-69 William Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards*
1870-1884 Walter Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1884-1895 Charles Manser, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1896-98 Henry A. Percy, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1898 George Julius Petterson, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1899-1901 George Wilton, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards

*William Harris might be the (adopted) son of Walter.

Richard Lewis, North Esk Inn, Patterson’s Plains.
The Police Magistrate gave some information respecting the applicants and the ocality of the houses. They were all new houses except the Commercial Inn and the iasgow Wine Vaults. He handed in a memorial against Mr. Hyrons’ house.
The applications were then considered in the following order:
Richard Lewis.-Mr. Douglas said the applicant was a well-conducted man, better known, perhaps, as “Dick,” the guard of the mail. The house was a new one, near Mount Esk. It was well recommended, was much wanted, and had good accommodation.
The Police Magistrate said there was no licensed house for miles, and he did not object. Granted.

Launceston Examiner, 2 December 1856
Continue reading

Breadalbane Temperance Coffee House

Breadalbane, 1850s

Cannot find much about this, other than two short news items at the bottom of the page. Was it located in the building that had originally been the Albion Inn?

In 1849, “Timothy Sullivan applied for a license at the Cocked Hat, district of Morven. The premises for which applicant applied were lately occupied by Mr. Pilbeam, but Mr. Pilbeam finding the premises inconvenient, obtained permission from Mr. Wales, the assistant P. M., to remove to an adjoining house … The land originally belonged to Mr. Scott, who had not resided in the colony for many years, it was rented to Mr. Solomon, and by him sub-rented to Mr. Pilbeam, who had at a great expense erected the house to which he had lately removed. (Cornwall Chronicle, 9 May 1849)

Unlicensed hotels (temperance hotels, coffee houses etc) are often established in establishments that have been refused licenses. The two contemporary stories (below) have the coffee house as belonging to Mrs Pilbeam and Mr Scott, which supports it being the house referred to in the rejected application.

A 1949 story about the Woolpack Inn being redeveloped says:

The Woolpack Inn, earlier known as the Breadalbane Coffee House, was built in the late 30’s on land granted in 1838 to Thomas Scott, one of Van Diemen’s Land’s earliest settlers. He was a land surveyor from County Barwick, Scotland, and he apparently conceived Breadalbane as the site for a big township. He sub divided much of his 584 acres and named the area the Cocked Hat Hill Estate.
Advocate, 16 November 1949

————————————
Cocked Hat — The draft of the bill for dividing the colony into electoral districts, and providing representatives for the same, leaves out entirely the small village at the Cocked Hat–so that the houses of Mrs. Pilbeam–the Breadalbane Coffee-house, and another, are beyond the pale of electoral privileges
Cornwall Chronicle, 30 April 1851

FIRE–About two o’clock this morning, the Breadalbane Temperance Coffee House, at the Cocked Hat was destroyed by fire the walls only being left standing. The property belongs to Mr. Thomas Scott: the Surveyor, now in England.
Colonial Times, 20 January 1853

Rob Roy, The Springs

1831 Roderick M’Donald, South Esk
1832 Roderick MacDonald, Rob Roy, Springs
1833-34 James Gurney, Rob Roy, Springs


Hobart Town Courier, 1 October 1831


The Independent, 11 May 1833

Two of the same party, the next morning, called at the “Rob Roy” public-house, at the Springs, kept by a man named Gurney : they represented themselves as settlers from Ben Lomond; ordered breakfast, of which they partook, and on leaving said, they would return in the evening, on their way home. Accordingly they returned, and ordered beds. During the evening, a knock at the door was answered by the landlord, when two men from without presented fire arms, and ordered him to stand. On looking round, he found one of the strangers, who were with him in the morning, standing behind him with a pistol presented at his (Gurney’s) head. The four men, supposed to be Ward, Newman, Lindsay, and Buchan, then proceeded to tie the inmates of the house ; and after remaining about two hours, decamped, taking with them tea, sugar, tobacco, flour, bread, and some money, to the amount of £27. The robbery was soon, after they left, reported to District Constable Murray, who went in pursuit of the thieves, but without success.
The Colonist, 28 January 1834


The Independent, 19 April 1834


Launceston Advertiser, 13 July 1837

Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane

Breadalbane.

1856 James Coope, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1861 Edwaard Humphries, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1862-66 William Hanney, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1867-68 William Henry Parkinson, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1869 W. Saltmarsh, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1869-71 Robert Barker, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1871-72 Henry Chugg, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1872-4 Richard Chugg, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1874-77 Wm. Wyndham Barton, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1877 Elizabeth Barton/Davis, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1878 Phillip Davis, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1878-82 Charles Landsdell, Woolpack Inn,Breadalbane
1882-83 George Laird, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1883-97 Robert Barker, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1900+ Robert Barker, Woolpack Hotel, Breadalbane

(There doesn’t seem to much information on this one for early years, but the above is what I’ve been able to find. I would really like to find some more about the who and when (and where) prior to Parkinson.)


Launceston Examiner, 27 December 1859
Continue reading

Albion Inn, Breadalbane

1839-45 William Kitson, Albion, Springs
1845-50 (William) George Pilbeam, Albion Inn, Springs/Cocked Hat
1851 Ann Pilbeam/Cole, Albion Inn, Cocked Hat
1851-53 John Cole, Albion Inn, Cocked Hat
1854-56 Samuel Thomas Story, Albion Inn, Cocked Hat Hill, Breadalbane
1856-58 Edward Davies, Albion Hotel, Breadalbane
1859?-66 Joseph Brown, Albion Hotel, Breadalbane
1866-68 Martha Allen, Albion Inn, Breadalbane
1868-9 Richard Barker, Albion Inn, Breadalbane

Prior to 1849, the Albion moved to a new building, as there was application for a license for the original building (see below, 9 May 1849).


The Courier, 6 April 1841


Cornwall Chronicle, 15 October 1842 Continue reading

White Hart, Springs

Breadalbane.
Licensing notices give the location as the Springs (Breadalbane), but an advertisement (see below) and a news story the same year place it at New River (Evandale).

1835 Charles Radcliffe, the White Hart, Springs
1835-36 William Kitson, White Hart, Springs

Launceston Advertiser, 4 June 1835
Launceston Advertiser, 4 June 1835


Hobart Town Courier, 14 August 1835


Cornwall Chronicle, 8 April 1836

Wilmot Arms

Cnr Garfield Street and Wellington Street (Road), Sandhill/South Launceston. Google Maps approximate location
Demolished 1972

SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. Google Maps, approximate location.
Demolished 1894.

Mw1_0735
SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. (2015)

Previously Green Gate
1844-47 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Sand Hill
–> Moved to site of Black Swan
1847-48 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Wellington and Brisbane Streets
1848 Jane Clark/Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1849-53 John Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1853-54 Daniel O’Donell, Wilmot Arms, Wellington and Brisbane Streets
1854-55 George Summers, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1855-63 John Blades, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1863-66 Charles Page, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1866-68 Alfred John Green, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1868-69 Alfred Stephen Harris, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1869 John Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1870-80 Michael Lawler, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
–> License transferred to former Fire Brigade Inn, Brisbane Street

Photo of Wellington St, with Brisbane St intersection on the very right. The light coloured building on that corner is the Wilmot Arms (name is along the top), which is a facade around the older Black Swan. (Alternate link.)

Extracts from Examiner story, “Colourful Old Hostelries”:
The first hotel in Launceston was the Black Swan, built in 1820, and kept by G. Burgess, an old whaler. It stood on the corner of Brisbane and Wellington streets and was after wards known as the Wilmot Arms before it was pulled down.

In Brisbane St. where the Enfleld (now McClymont’s), Cleary’s (now Tuck’s shop), Wilmot Arms (now a motor garage), Noah’s Ark (at corner of Margaret St.), Glenfield House, Barber’s Hotel (now Routley’s and the adjoining bank) and the Fire Brigade (now the Imperial).
Examiner, 12 March 1946
Continue reading

Green Gate — Golden Fleece

Previously Sandhill
1841 James Corbett, Green Gate, Wellington St
1842 John Main, Green Gate, Wellington Street
1842-44 Matthew. Mason, Green Gate, Wellington Street
1845 Israel Shaw, Green Gate, Wellington Street
1845-46 Israel Shaw, Golden Fleece, Wellington Street

NEW LICENCES REFUSED.
William Bourne, Travellers Rest, Sandhill (formerly the Harrow Inn); refused on account of situation. Mr. Corbett. of the Green Gate [at Sandhill], was also given to understand that, for the same reasons, his house would be licensed for one year only, at the expiration of which time it would not be renewed.
Launceston Advertiser, 3 September 1840


Launceston Advertiser, 4 November 1841


Launceston Examiner, 11 June 1842

Transfer – At the Court of Quarter Sessions held by adjournment yesterday, Mr. John Main’s license for the public-house in Wellington-street, called the Green Gate, was transferred to Mr. Mason, son of Mr. William Mason, of the Elephant and Castle, Wellington street.
Cornwall Chronicle, 12 November 1842
Continue reading