Sydney Arms

George & York Street (see bottom of post)

1832-33 John Hill, Sydney Arms, York Street

New Applications[list of names] Hill, John, Sydney Arms, York street
The Independent, 22 September 1832
To the Inhabitants of Launceston and its Vicinity
RICHARD HARVEY (from London) most respectfully informs the Inhabitants of Launceston and its Vicinity and the Public in general, that he has recently arrived here, and intends carrying on business as a COACH M AKER in all the various branches, adjoining the “Sydney Arms” in York Street and hopes by unremitting attention to all orders he may be favored with, to merit the public patronage.
R. H. has every material requisite for carrying on the above business, which he has purchased from the London markets and ha» likewise engaged several first-rate Workmen, who have recently arrived in the Colony.
* * Gigs bought, sold, or exchanged.–A good Stand for Gigs or Carriages.
t t Country Orders .punctually attended to
The Independent, 22 December 1832


Independent, 19 January 1833


Independent, 23 March 1833


Location notes

From Smythe’s map of Launceston, 1835, showing two buildings on the corner of George and Yoek Streets. The bottom right one is the Bricklayers’ Arms (later Victoria, Caledonian, Union Club, O’Keefe’s). The bottom left might be the location but also it might one of those in York Street which are not actually on the corner.