Replica tents in the Chinese Camp at the Sovereign Hill open air museum.
This water cart has two points of interest on the back. On the left is an information panel and on the right is an opening that lets you look inside.
The panel says:
This water cart was used at the Tasmania Mine to spray the mine year to rest the dust. The driver could operate the release valves with a foot lever.
The draught horse pulling the cart must have been a powerful animal as the tank held amost a tonne (1000kg) of water!
This is one of two hotels in the main street of Sovereign Hill (open air museum & replica gold fields town). The other one, with more photos, is across the road.
This is one of two hotels in the main street of Sovereign Hill (open air museum & replica gold fields town). The other one, with less photos, is across the road.
Stone bridge, Richmond, Tasmania. Constructed 1823-5
The accompanying panel says:
Concord model thorough-brace coach 1860-80
This coach may have been manufactured by Cobb and Co. at its Charleville coachworks in Queensland or by a smaller company in the Gunnedah area of New South wales. It was used on Robert Nowland's Gunnedah to Coonabarabran mail run, probably the 1870s. At first this 100-kilometre route followed a rough bush track, if the coach got bogged or the road was too steep for the four-in-hand horse term, passengers had to get out and walk. In 18880, just after the railway reached Gunnedah, the government built a good road between the two towns. Nowland was granted persimmons to use the road in 1882 and it proved a lucrative route. If the weather was fine, the new route took 12 hours, with tree stops along the way to change horses.
Trunk about 1900
When the coach was acquired by the Museum in 1980 this wooden trunk came with it. The tray on the rear of the coach, known as the 'boot', was used for luggage, as was the roof. Goods were sometimes stowed under the seats and could bang passengers' legs on rough stretches of road.
Susannah Place Museum (also here) is a row of four working-class terraces built in 1844. Rather than being "lovingly restored", each room reflects different occupants from the terrace's 150 year history.
Most of these photos are external. There don't seem to be many internal photos online either.
Middle room of No. 62 (1970s) & basement kitchen of 58
Video about basement of No. 58
Kitchen of No. 60 (1940s Greek family)
Shop at No. 64
At the Australian War Memorial.
"The LW/AW set was developed in 1942 in Australia by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (later CSIRO) Radiophysics Laboratory in response to the need for a portable air defence radar station that could be readily deployed in northern Australia, New Guinea and the islands to Australia's north."
Read more (and better photo).
Empire Hotel, front staircase and back halls. Mostly taken at night or in areas with no windows so lighting is bad.
Mirror on the landing.
"Built in 1860 to store the gunpowder used in goldmining, the powder magazine was designed to minimise the risk of exploding. Only copper fittings were used, an elaborate lightning rod was fitted and people entering had to wear special shoes. Should an explosion have occurred, the design of the build would direct the blast safely upwards. The magazine was closed in 1918 and fell into decay. The roof was removed to stop vagrants sleeping there and it was almost demolished. The National Trust restored the building in 1966."
"Beechworth Powder Magazine was constructed in 1859 by T Dawson and Company. In 1857 the Victorian Government passed an act to regulate the importation, carriage and custody of black powder which led to the construction of several Powder Magazines throughout Victoria. According to the National Trust, the Beechworth Powder Magazine is the best example in Victoria of this particularly important building type.
The architecture of the building features a classical style in the tradition of the early colonial military buildings. It is constructed in local granite and includes sever safety precautions within the structure which directs a potential explosion upwards to minimise damage.
The Powder Magazine was no longer being used by the end of the 19th century and was officially closed in 1918 and abandoned. Neglected for many years, the building was left to decline until the 1960's when local interest was raised and a restoration process began. In 1965, the project was formally adopted by the National Trust and opened to public access."
This series of photos is from an "1830s merchant’s house" in Hobart. There is more information here, including a site plan and a visitor's guide (PDF) with a description of each of the rooms.
I have broken my photos up by room/part of the house, and linked them below.
1 Entrance Hall
2 Drawing Room
3 Dining Room
4 Guest Bedroom
5 Breakfast Room
6 Back Hall
9 Exhibition Rooms
12 Hall & Dressing Room
13 Servants Quarters
These photos are from 2015. There is another post with photos from 2008, during the restoration period, which shows inside before the installation of the equipment.
Unfortunately, these photos were taken late in the day so the light is poor. There better ones (some included below and others in linked posts) from 2018.
Granary. More photos.
Miller's cottage. Better photos and inside.
These photos are from 2008, while restoration was in process. Starting with the outside, then inside, then other buildings on the site.
There is another post from 2015, after the mill was reopened, which has photos of the outbuildings (although taken in low light).
Stable. Internal photos from 2015.
Miller's cottage. Grainy internal photos from 2015.
Mountgarrett's Cottage, Woolmers Estate. Constructed for Dr Mountgarrett in the 1820s and later moved to Woolmers, where it was used for agricultural purposes.
I wasn't going to post this one as the photos are poor quality, but because the building hasn't been maintained/restored as a residence, the construction details can be seen.
The cottage consists of two rooms. The main one through the front door, which has had large double doors added at the back to allow access to the machinery, and a smaller room to the side.
Door to second room. Detail from wall below.
Lyons Cottage, Stanley. Birthplace of former priminister Joseph Lyons "demonstrates the characteristics of a single storey, weatherboard Victorian Georgian dwelling" (from the link P&WS site). Constructed prior to 1870. More about the history of the house (and Lyons) in the P&WS site.
The external walls are split timber, which it's believe the original walls were. At some point (early twentieth century) they were replaced with newer weatherboards. When the cottage was restored in the 1970s, these were in turn removed and the split-timber walls & shingle roof reinstated. This is shown in the photo of photos below.
Facing the other way. On the right, kitchen wing with servants room above. Entrance to main house under the low roof at the back.
Panel at the front say, in part:
Gig with Road Cart Body
This vehicle is a gig not a jinker, sulky or trap. The differences are that a gig has the shaft running right past the body to the rear of the vehicle. Gigs are also enclosed at the back, but have ample luggage space below the seat.
A road cart body was a particular style of body built by English carriage builders.
No details on its provenance are available, but it was built by F. Paine in Launceston in the late 1800s or early 1900s.
At Entally Estate.