Concord model thorough-brace coach

Larger image.

At the National Museum of Australia (database record, has more photos).

The accompanying panel says:

Concord model thorough-brace coach 1860-80
This coach may have been manufactured by Cobb and Co. at its Charleville coachworks in Queensland or by a smaller company in the Gunnedah area of New South wales. It was used on Robert Nowland's Gunnedah to Coonabarabran mail run, probably the 1870s. At first this 100-kilometre route followed a rough bush track, if the coach got bogged or the road was too steep for the four-in-hand horse term, passengers had to get out and walk. In 18880, just after the railway reached Gunnedah, the government built a good road between the two towns. Nowland was granted persimmons to use the road in 1882 and it proved a lucrative route. If the weather was fine, the new route took 12 hours, with tree stops along the way to change horses.

Trunk about 1900
When the coach was acquired by the Museum in 1980 this wooden trunk came with it. The tray on the rear of the coach, known as the 'boot', was used for luggage, as was the roof. Goods were sometimes stowed under the seats and could bang passengers' legs on rough stretches of road.


Bark Mission Hut

At the National Museum of Australia.

Mission hut 2000
built in the style of huts from the 1920s to 1950s, by Herbie Harradine, Lionel Chatfield and Joe Chatfield, under the supervision of Uncle Bill Edwards.

Text on outside panel:


"This hut is just like the first home we built, when Kathleen and I got married, only half the size. Come inside. We share our story so you know what it was like for us."
(Uncle Bill Edwards, 2007)

Framlingham, on Victoria's south-west coat, is home to many Koori families who have fought long and hard for the right to continue living as a community.

Established as an Aboriginal reserve by the Church of England Mission in 1856, Framlingham soon fell under the control of the Welfare Board (also known as the Central Board to Watch over the Interests of Aborigines). The board, which comprised pastoralists, philanthropists, government and church officials, made several attempts to close Framlingham and relocated the Koori families to other missions. Each time, the families protected and resisted leaving.

In 1907, under the Aboriginal Lands Act 1970 (Victoria), the reserve was handed over to the Framlingham Aboriginal Trust and continues under Aboriginal ownership.