Green Gate — Golden Fleece

Previously Sandhill
1841 James Corbett, Green Gate, Wellington St
1842 John Main, Green Gate, Wellington Street
1842-44 Matthew. Mason, Green Gate, Wellington Street
1845 Israel Shaw, Green Gate, Wellington Street
1845-46 Israel Shaw, Golden Fleece, Wellington Street

NEW LICENCES REFUSED.
William Bourne, Travellers Rest, Sandhill (formerly the Harrow Inn); refused on account of situation. Mr. Corbett. of the Green Gate [at Sandhill], was also given to understand that, for the same reasons, his house would be licensed for one year only, at the expiration of which time it would not be renewed.
Launceston Advertiser, 3 September 1840


Launceston Advertiser, 4 November 1841


Launceston Examiner, 11 June 1842

Transfer – At the Court of Quarter Sessions held by adjournment yesterday, Mr. John Main’s license for the public-house in Wellington-street, called the Green Gate, was transferred to Mr. Mason, son of Mr. William Mason, of the Elephant and Castle, Wellington street.
Cornwall Chronicle, 12 November 1842
Continue reading Green Gate — Golden Fleece

Green Gate — Wilmot Arms

Cnr Garfield Street and Wellington Street (Road), Sandhill/South Launceston. Google Maps approximate location.
Demolished 1927.

1834 George Dodery, Green Gate Inn, Main Rd/Sandhill
1835 Stephen Hopwood, Green Gate, Launceston
1836 Lewis Henry Lazarus?
1836-40 James Corbett, Green Gate, Sandhill
—> Moved to Wellington Street
1844-47 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Sand Hill
–> Moved to site of Black Swan, cnr Brisbane & Wellington streets

The Colonist, 20 May 1834
The Colonist, 20 May 1834


Colonial Times, 4 November 1834
Continue reading Green Gate — Wilmot Arms

Centennial Hotel

NW cnr Balfour & Bathurst Streets. Google Maps.

wp_20160724_12_05_11_pro
July 2016

1888 John Walsh, Centennial Hotel, Balfour and Bathurst Streets Street
1898+ Ernest Alfred Fawkner, Centennial Hotel, Balfour and Bathurst Streets Street

From “Annual Licensing Meeting”:
The application for the Jolly Butchers had special features. The house had been established for a number of years, and the tenant, Mr. Walsh, wished to purchase it when it was offered for sale by public auction, but the biddings did not reach the reserve, and then Mr. Walsh. proceeded to build the Centennial Hotel on the opposite side of the street and asked for a new license. Mr. E. Byron Miller appeared in support of Mr. Bachfield’s application, which was deferred until that of Mr. Walsh’s was before the bench, when, after deliberation, the application of Mr. Bachfield was refused, for the Jolly Butchers premises, although the proprietor had promised to re-model the premises so as to adapt them to modern requirements.
The Tasmanian, 8 December 1888

Continue reading Centennial Hotel

Volunteer Hotel, Lefroy

1895-96 Robert Taylor, Volunteer (Line) Hotel, near Lefroy
1897 John Payne, Volunteer Hotel, Lefroy
1898-99 Robert E. Payne, Volunteer Hotel, Lefroy
1899 William Whiting, Volunteer Hotel, Lefroy
1899 Susie M’Guinness, Volunteer Hotel, Lefroy
1900 Charles C. Cooley, Volunteer Hotel, Lefroy


Volunteer Mine and township, Lefroy (from QVMAG collection, QVM:1999:P:1161)


Daily Telegraph, 12 April 1895

VOLUNTEER HOTEL, LEFROY.–In our advertising columns will be found a notice calling attention to the fact that although Mr Robert Taylor, late of the Crown Hotel, has to wait until the next sittings to obtain a license for the Volunteer Hotel at Lefroy he has opened the premises for the use of boarders. The building is one which supplies a long felt want on the field, its fine front being something unique; on either d side of the large hall are situated to the right the bar and spacious parlours, billiard-room, etc., and to the left the large dining-room, 80ft x 17ft. There is also a private dining-room for parties visiting the field. The house is so divided that the rooms kept for visitors are absolutely apart from the bar and public parlours, and as Mr Taylor has looked after the comfort of his patrons in erecting bathrooms at the end of each corridor visitors will appreciate this benefit. There is also ample stabling connected with the hotel, and the wants in every department have been thoroughly looked after.
Launceston Examiner, 6 April 1895
Continue reading Volunteer Hotel, Lefroy

Breadalbane Hotels

Wheat Sheaf: Springs
1826 Robert Taylor

Tasmanian Inn: Springs, Cocked Hat Hill, Prospect Hill
1831-37 Patrick Carolan

Rob Roy: Springs
1832 Roderick MacDonald
1833 James Gurney

Robin Hood: Springs
1834-36 James Lucas

Birmingham Arms: Springs
1834 William Wright

White Hart Inn: Springs
1835 Charles Radcliffe
1835-36 William Kitson

Halfway House: Springs, Cocked Hat
1837-8 James Segrave

Albion Inn: Springs, Cocked Hat Hill, Breadalbane
1839-1869 see post

Woolpack Inn: Cocked Hat, Breadalbane
1859-1920 see post

Also two unlicensed premises:

Breadalbane Temperance Coffee House: Cocked Hat
1850s
Temperance Hotel: Breadalbane
1884

Bird in Hand (4) – Shamrock – Victoria (4)

Brisbane & George Streets
81 Elizabeth Street

march-2016
81 Elizabeth St, Match 2016

Formerly Half-Moon
1845 Adam Yates, Bird in Hand, George Street
1846 Patrick Cunningham, Bird in Hand, George Street
1847 Daniel O’Donell, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1848 William Grosvenor, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1850-54 George Summers, Bird-in-hand, Elizabeth Street
1854-57 John Bailey, Bird-in-hand, Elizabeth Street
1857-60 James Spencer, Bird-in-Hand, Elizabeth Street
1861-62 Edward Spencer, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1863-64 Richard Gee, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1865 Jeremiah Foley, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1865 Jeremiah Foley, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1867 John Tynan, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1870 Thomas Woods, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1871 Elizabeth Woods, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1871 Frederick Hollingsworth, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1883 John White, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1883-84 John Clydesdale, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1884 John Clydesdale, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1885-86 Charles Dalwood, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1887-95 Michael Lawler, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1895+ Elizabeth Jessamine Lawler, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street

Known as Burnie Hotel from 1909-1919. Seems to have been last licensed in 1919. In 1924 it was converted to a Trades Hall.
Continue reading Bird in Hand (4) – Shamrock – Victoria (4)

Cornwall Coffee Rooms

Bathurst & York St
Charles Street?
Paterson St.  Approximate location on Google Maps.

wp_20161212_16_58_01_pro
Paterson St, December 2016. The Coffee Rooms adjoined the old Examiner building  (the red, white & yellow building), so on the site of the brick and glass addition.

Paterson St, 1940s (low two-storey building, two doors along from the National. Tall brick building is the Examiner building).
Paterson St, 1970 (on the left).

1843 George Bygrave, York & Bathurst Streets*
1845 George Layton, Paterson St*
1845-51 licensed as the White Horse
1852-54 John Thompson, Paterson St

*I don’t know if these are the same establishment. Continue reading Cornwall Coffee Rooms

Enfield Hotel (2)

169 Charles St. Google Maps.

img_2391
Now a shop.

Photo while still a hotel (1960s-1980s)
Earlier but poor quality image
1885 street scene, cnr of Charles and York Streets. Charles St runs from the bottom left corner. Enfield must be the third from the corner, next door to the low auction mart building.)

1868-85 Elijah E. Panton, Enfield Hotel, Charles Street
1885-88 Jane Elizabeth Panton, Enfield Hotel, Charles Street
1888+ Edward Henry Panton, Enfield Hotel, Charles-street. Continue reading Enfield Hotel (2)

White Horse (2)

Paterson Street. Approximate location on Google Maps.

Formerly & afterwards Cornwall Coffee Rooms

wp_20161212_16_58_01_pro
Paterson St, December 2016. The White Horse adjoined the old Examiner building  (the red, white & yellow building), so on the site of the brick and glass addition.

1845-46 John Mills, White Horse, Paterson Street
1846 James Johnson, White Horse, Paterson Street
1846-48 Mary Ann Johnson, White Horse, Paterson Street
1848-50 William Hedger, White Horse, Patterson Street


On the left. (Cropped from photo in QVMAG Collection, QVM:2002:P:0014.)

Paterson St, 1940s (low two-storey building, two doors along from the National. Tall brick building is the Examiner building).
Paterson St, 1970 (on the left).
(I know the links aren’t working.)

Continue reading White Horse (2)