Kitchen, Commandant’s House/Canarvon Hotel

Larger image From on-site panels: When the penal settlement closed in 1877, tourists flocked to the area. In 1885 Port Arthur was renamed Carnarvon and the Commandant's House converted into the Carnavon Hotel. Over the next 70 years it was used as a boarnding house and private residence. When this kitchen was added in 1854,...

Read More

Trentham Cottage, Port Arthur/Carnarvon

From the panel out the front" "The building here now was built around 1900 by the Trenham family and was called Trentham Cottage. It is a typical house of the Carnovon period [after Port Arthur penal settlement closed down]. The house and garden have been restored to show how they might have looked in 1915."...

Read More