1838 James Earles, Shamrock and Thistle, Wellington Street
I wonder if this is something else renamed.
Launceston Advertiser, 27 September 1838
Cnr Wellington & Elizabeth Streets
1830-31 James McClure, Royal Oak, Wellington Street
1832-35 James McClure, Royal Oak, Wellington & Elizabeth Streets
1836-37 Goodman Hart, Royal Oak, Wellington & Elizabeth Streets
Launceston Advertiser, 1 December 1834
Cornwall Chronicle, 1 July 1837
Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1837
Cornwall Chronicle, 28 April 1838
1834 William Wright, Birmingham Arms, Springs
This only appears in list of new licenses granted. It might not have been taken up.
The Independent, 6 September 1834
Cnr Garfield Street and Wellington Street (Road), Sandhill/South Launceston. Google Maps approximate location
SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. Google Maps, approximate location.
SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. (2015)
Previously Green Gate
1844-47 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Sand Hill
–> Moved to site of Black Swan
1847-48 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Wellington and Brisbane Streets
1848 Jane Clark/Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1849-53 John Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1853-54 Daniel O’Donell, Wilmot Arms, Wellington and Brisbane Streets
1854-55 George Summers, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1855-63 John Blades, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1863-66 Charles Page, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1866-68 Alfred John Green, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1868-69 Alfred Stephen Harris, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1869 John Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1870-80 Michael Lawler, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
–> License transferred to former Fire Brigade Inn, Brisbane Street
Photo of Wellington St, with Brisbane St intersection on the very right. The light coloured building on that corner is the Wilmot Arms (name is along the top), which is a facade around the older Black Swan. (Alternate link.)
Extracts from Examiner story, “Colourful Old Hostelries”:
The first hotel in Launceston was the Black Swan, built in 1820, and kept by G. Burgess, an old whaler. It stood on the corner of Brisbane and Wellington streets and was after wards known as the Wilmot Arms before it was pulled down.
In Brisbane St. where the Enfleld (now McClymont’s), Cleary’s (now Tuck’s shop), Wilmot Arms (now a motor garage), Noah’s Ark (at corner of Margaret St.), Glenfield House, Barber’s Hotel (now Routley’s and the adjoining bank) and the Fire Brigade (now the Imperial).
Examiner, 12 March 1946
Continue reading Wilmot Arms
1841 James Corbett, Green Gate, Wellington St
1842 John Main, Green Gate, Wellington Street
1842-44 Matthew. Mason, Green Gate, Wellington Street
1845 Israel Shaw, Green Gate, Wellington Street
1845-46 Israel Shaw, Golden Fleece, Wellington Street
NEW LICENCES REFUSED.
William Bourne, Travellers Rest, Sandhill (formerly the Harrow Inn); refused on account of situation. Mr. Corbett. of the Green Gate [at Sandhill], was also given to understand that, for the same reasons, his house would be licensed for one year only, at the expiration of which time it would not be renewed.
Launceston Advertiser, 3 September 1840
Launceston Advertiser, 4 November 1841
Transfer – At the Court of Quarter Sessions held by adjournment yesterday, Mr. John Main’s license for the public-house in Wellington-street, called the Green Gate, was transferred to Mr. Mason, son of Mr. William Mason, of the Elephant and Castle, Wellington street.
Cornwall Chronicle, 12 November 1842
Continue reading Green Gate — Golden Fleece
Cnr Garfield Street and Wellington Street (Road), Sandhill/South Launceston. Google Maps approximate location.
1834 George Dodery, Green Gate Inn, Main Rd/Sandhill
1835 Stephen Hopwood, Green Gate, Launceston
1836 Lewis Henry Lazarus?
1836-40 James Corbett, Green Gate, Sandhill
—> Moved to Wellington Street
1844-47 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Sand Hill
–> Moved to site of Black Swan, cnr Brisbane & Wellington streets
The Colonist, 20 May 1834
Colonial Times, 4 November 1834
Continue reading Green Gate — Wilmot Arms
1895-96 Robert Taylor, Volunteer (Line) Hotel, near Lefroy
1897 John Payne, Volunteer Hotel, Lefroy
1898-99 Robert E. Payne, Volunteer Hotel, Lefroy
1899 William Whiting, Volunteer Hotel, Lefroy
1899 Susie M’Guinness, Volunteer Hotel, Lefroy
1900 Charles C. Cooley, Volunteer Hotel, Lefroy
Daily Telegraph, 12 April 1895
VOLUNTEER HOTEL, LEFROY.–In our advertising columns will be found a notice calling attention to the fact that although Mr Robert Taylor, late of the Crown Hotel, has to wait until the next sittings to obtain a license for the Volunteer Hotel at Lefroy he has opened the premises for the use of boarders. The building is one which supplies a long felt want on the field, its fine front being something unique; on either d side of the large hall are situated to the right the bar and spacious parlours, billiard-room, etc., and to the left the large dining-room, 80ft x 17ft. There is also a private dining-room for parties visiting the field. The house is so divided that the rooms kept for visitors are absolutely apart from the bar and public parlours, and as Mr Taylor has looked after the comfort of his patrons in erecting bathrooms at the end of each corridor visitors will appreciate this benefit. There is also ample stabling connected with the hotel, and the wants in every department have been thoroughly looked after.
Launceston Examiner, 6 April 1895
Continue reading Volunteer Hotel, Lefroy
Brisbane & George Streets
81 Elizabeth Street
81 Elizabeth St, Match 2016
1845 Adam Yates, Bird in Hand, George Street
1846 Patrick Cunningham, Bird in Hand, George Street
1847 Daniel O’Donell, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1848 William Grosvenor, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1850-54 George Summers, Bird-in-hand, Elizabeth Street
1854-57 John Bailey, Bird-in-hand, Elizabeth Street
1857-60 James Spencer, Bird-in-Hand, Elizabeth Street
1861-62 Edward Spencer, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1863-64 Richard Gee, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1865 Jeremiah Foley, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1865 Jeremiah Foley, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1867 John Tynan, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1870 Thomas Woods, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1871 Elizabeth Woods, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1871 Frederick Hollingsworth, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1883 John White, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1883-84 John Clydesdale, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1884 John Clydesdale, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1885-86 Charles Dalwood, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1887-95 Michael Lawler, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1895+ Elizabeth Jessamine Lawler, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
Known as Burnie Hotel from 1909-1919. Seems to have been last licensed in 1919. In 1924 it was converted to a Trades Hall.
Continue reading Bird in Hand (4) – Shamrock – Victoria (4)
Bathurst & York St
Paterson St. Approximate location on Google Maps.
Paterson St, December 2016. The Coffee Rooms adjoined the old Examiner building (the red, white & yellow building), so on the site of the brick and glass addition.
1843 George Bygrave, York & Bathurst Streets*
1845 George Layton, Paterson St*
1845-51 licensed as the White Horse
1852-54 John Thompson, Paterson St
*I don’t know if these are the same establishment. Continue reading Cornwall Coffee Rooms
1845 Manwairing & Baetholomew Chitty, Enfield Hotel, Brisbane Street
1846-49 Edward Greenbeck, Enfield Hotel, Brisbane Street
1849-1861 Thomas Hill, Enfield Hotel, Brisbane Street
Courier, 22 February 1845
The Courier, 27 February 1845
Continue reading Enfield Hotel (1)