Cnr George and Brisbane Street.
1838 Thomas Dudley, cnr Brisbane and George Streets
George St, with Brisbane St corner, 2016.
Cornwall Chronicle, 22 December 1838
cnr Wellington & Elizabeth Streets
Formerly Black Bull, Charles & Brisbane Streets?
1830 Henry Hinksman, King’s Arms, Charles Street
1831 Elizabeth Hinksman, King’s Arms, Charles Street
1832 George Dodery, King’s Arms, Charles Street
1833 Benjamin Walford, King’s Arms, Launceston
1834 John Ashton, King’s Arms, Charles Street
1834 John Ashton, King’s Arms, Wellington & Elizabeth Streets
1835 Thomas Neal
1836 John Ashton, King’s Arms, Wellington & Elizabeth Streets
1836-38 Henry Chalk, King’s Arms, Wellington Street
Launceston Advertiser, 4 October 1830
Robert Marr had the Black Bull, cnr Brisbane and Charles Streets until 1829.
Burial of Henry Hinksman (RGD 34/1/1 Burials Launceston, 1831)
Continue reading King’s Arms
1829 James Hill, St Andrew, Charles Street
Transferred to Perth.
Colonial Times, 20 November 1829
Launceston Advertiser, 31 May 1830
Hobart Town Courier, 5 April 1828
There are few mentions of the Waterloo outside of licensing notices.
Launceston Advertiser, 21 May 1830
Continue reading Waterloo Tavern
cnr Charles and York Streets
1826–27 Robert Towers, Caledonia Hotel, Charles Street
1828-35 Mungo Sommerville, Caledonian, Charles Street
1836-37 George Sinclair Brodie, Caledonia Wine Vaults
1838 George Milne, Caledonian Tavern
1840 James McLeish, Caledonian Wine Vaults, Charles Street
Colonial Times, 1 September 1826
Hobart Town Courier, 19 April 1828
Continue reading Caledonia Hotel/Caledonian Inn/Caledonian Wine Vaults (1)
Charles & Brisbane Street
St. Andrew’s Day.-A similar Meeting to that which took place at the British Hotel, was observed by the Sons of Caledonia, at Launceston, at the Inn kept by Mr. Marr, at the sign of the Black, Bull. The Meeting was respectably and well attended. The dinner was excellent; the usual toasts and sentiments were drank ; and the room was decorated with the Thistle, Hose, and Shamrock, gracefully entwined.
Colonial Times, 8 December 1826
CRIMINAL COURT LAUNCESTON
William Stopford was found guilty of forging and offering as true, a forged receipt for cattle, with intention to defraud Mr. Marr of the Black Bull.
Hobart Town Courier, 3 November 1827
Hobart Town Courier, 5 July 1828
Continue reading Black Bull
Cnr Charles & Brisbane Streets
1829 Gavin Hogg, White Conduit House, Charles Street
1830 Henry Davis, White Conduit House, Brisbane Street
1831 Henry Davis, White Conduit House, Charles Street
1832-34 Joseph Howell, White Conduit House, Charles Street
Launceston Advertiser, 1 February 1830
Launceston Advertiser, 5 April 1830
Continue reading White Conduit House
NE cnr Brisbane & George Streets
1824-26 Mr Alex Stewart, Rose and Thistle
1827-31 Alexander Stewart, Rose and Thistle, Charles Street
1834 Alexander Stewart, Rose and Thistle
1835 Andrew Dinell, Rose and Thistle
1836 John Moore
1836-37 George Fenton, Brisbane & George St
George St, with Brisbane St corner, 2016.
On Wednesday last our worthy Magistrates, Messrs. Kenworthy, Gordon, and Simpson, went round to inspect the various public houses, and also those houses for which applications had been made to be allowed to retail spirituous liquors. At Alexander Stewart’s they found only one bed, that in which he and his wife sleep, the house is an old one, with two small front rooms, and one back room, there was not one single chair, and scarcely a table in this house, yet it was relicensed but he bows very obsequiously.
Launceston Advertiser, 28 September 1829
Corner of Charles and York Street
1841 James Ferguson, newly constructed building
1842-43 James Ferguson, Caledonian Wine Vaults, Charles & York Sts
1843-45 James Johnstone, Caledonian Wine Vaults Charles and York Sts
1845-50 Matthew Monaghan, Caledonian Wine Vaults Charles and York Sts
1851 transferred license to George Smith, corner of George & York Sts
Prior to 1841, there was an existing establishment known as the Caledonian Wine Vaults on the corner of Charles and York Streets. There’s not information to indicate if Ferguson constructed a new building that replaced the older one, or having obtained a licence for a new building, transferred to the existing premises.
The corner of Charles & York Streets adjoining the Plough Inn would be this corner.
Continue reading Caledonian Inn/Wine Vaults (2)
Cnr Paterson & Charles Streets. Google Maps.