Bull’s Head

Wellington Street, Sandhill/South Launceston
SW cnr Charles & Brisbane Streets. Google Maps.
Charles Street
NW cnr Charles and York Streets. Google Maps.

1834-36 William Collins, Bull’s Head, Wellington Street/Main Road
1836-43 William Collins, Bull’s Head, Charles & Brisbane Streets
1843-50 William Duncan, Bull’s Head, Charles & Brisbane Streets (burnt down)
1850 William Duncan sen., Bull’s Head, Charles Street
1851-57 William Duncan, Senr., Bull’s Head, Charles and York Streets*
1857-58 Alexander Duncan, Bull’s Head, Charles and York Streets
1858-66 John Burns Thompson, Bulls’ Head, Charles & York Streets
1866-71 William Tuner, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets
1871 Henry Millbank, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets
1871 Elizabeth Woods, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets

*Was this previously the Jolly Butcher’s


Cornwall Chronicle, 19 September 1836


Cornwall Chronicle, 3 December 1836

Read more

Harrow Inn – Sir George Arthur

Kings Meadows

1833-35 Robert Hay Marr, Harrow, King’s Meadows
1836 Robert Hay Marr, Harrow, Sand Hill
1840 William Bourne, Traveller’s Rest, Sand Hill – refused
1841 Patrick Walsh, Harrow Inn, Sand Hill
1842-43 Patrick Walsh, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1843-44 Thomas Archer, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1844-45 James Monaghan, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1845-46 Nicholas May, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1846-54 Richard Waycott, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1854 William Gaylor, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1854-59 George Horder, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1859-60 William Saggers, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1860 George Horder, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill – not taken up


Launceston Advertiser, 4 June 1835


Cornwall Chronicle, 15 October 1836

Read more

Globe (2)

1833 Samuel Hutchinson, Globe, Canning St
1834 Samuel Hutchinson, Globe, Elizabeth & Wellington Streets*
1834 James Corbett, Globe, Canning Street*

**Might not be the same site as previously.

Mr. Samuel Hutchinson of the “Globe Tavern” has had his License transferred from his new Residence in Canning street, to those well situated’ premises at the angle of Elizabeth and Wellington streets, belonging to Mr. John Ashton.
The Independent, 8 March 1834


Last mention of Hutchinson & Globe. (Independent, 7 June 1834)

Hobart Town Courier, 22 August 1834
Hobart Town Courier, 22 August 1834


Independent, 6 September 1834

Star and Garter

Cnr Elizabeth and Bathurst Streets, possibly NE corner.
St John & William Street

1832-34 Christian Schooling Kent, Star and Garter, Elizabeth & Bathurst Streets
1834-35 Christian Schooling Kent, Star and Garter, Wharf/St John Street (formerly Commercial )
Became Ship Inn


Launceston Advertiser, 25 October 1832

On Monday night a robbery was perpetrated at the Star and Garter in-this town, but we have not heard that the thieves took aught save some provisions.
The Independent, 15 June 1833


Independent, 8 February 1834

Read more

Ship Inn (3)

Charles Street

Previously in St John Street
1830 Patrick Carolan, Ship Inn, Charles St
1831-34 George Aylwin, Ship Inn, Charles St

This Charles Street site was previously licensed to Robert Heaney as the Waterloo Tavern.
The St John Street building became the Commercial Tavern, the Star & Garter and then Ship Inn again.

Launceston Advertiser, 14 June 1830
Launceston Advertiser, 14 June 1830

In 1831, the Ship Inn of Charles St is licensed to George Aylwin, and he reappears on the list the following year although the names of the premises aren’t given, and in 1833. In June 1834 he is charged with breaching the licensing act and advertising a candle manufactory. After this I can find no mention of Aylwin. (His wife and child seem to have gone to Sydney.)

Launceston Advertiser, 27 December 1832
Launceston Advertiser, 27 December 1832

Sydney Arms

George & York Street (see bottom of post)

1832-33 John Hill, Sydney Arms, York Street

New Applications[list of names] Hill, John, Sydney Arms, York street
The Independent, 22 September 1832
To the Inhabitants of Launceston and its Vicinity
RICHARD HARVEY (from London) most respectfully informs the Inhabitants of Launceston and its Vicinity and the Public in general, that he has recently arrived here, and intends carrying on business as a COACH M AKER in all the various branches, adjoining the “Sydney Arms” in York Street and hopes by unremitting attention to all orders he may be favored with, to merit the public patronage.
R. H. has every material requisite for carrying on the above business, which he has purchased from the London markets and ha» likewise engaged several first-rate Workmen, who have recently arrived in the Colony.
* * Gigs bought, sold, or exchanged.–A good Stand for Gigs or Carriages.
t t Country Orders .punctually attended to
The Independent, 22 December 1832


Independent, 19 January 1833


Independent, 23 March 1833


Location notes

From Smythe’s map of Launceston, 1835, showing two buildings on the corner of George and Yoek Streets. The bottom right one is the Bricklayers’ Arms (later Victoria, Caledonian, Union Club, O’Keefe’s). The bottom left might be the location but also it might one of those in York Street which are not actually on the corner.

Edinburgh Castle — Hill View

Elizabeth Street, near Charles Street
cnr Frederick & Bathurst St

According to George Fuller, the Edinburgh Castle was located just along from the SW corner of Charles and Elizabeth Street, approximately here.

SE cnr Frederick & Bathurst St. Google Maps.


Cnr Frederick & Bathurst Sts, September 2015. (This is Frederick St, the intersection with Bathurst St is on the far right, with the traffic light and white vehicle.)

1831-36 Robert Brand, Edinburgh Castle, Charles Street
1836-39 Henry Reading, Edinburgh Castle, cnr Charles & Elizabeth Streets
1839-40 Richard Chugg, Edinburgh Castle, Elizabeth Street
1840-47 Henry Reading, Elizabeth Street [this site became Good Woman Inn]
1847-49 Henry Reading, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1849-55 James Moriss Martin, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1855-64 Francis Wilson, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1864-66 Mary Ann Wilson, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1866-69 Thomas Woods, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1869-71 Henry A’Beaven, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1871-82 James Murphy, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1882-83 William J. Spearman, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1883-85 John Chalmers, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1885-89 George Digney, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1887-89 George Digney, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1889 Thomas Maloney, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1889-94 Daniel O’Farrell, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1894-95 Charles Kerslake, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1895 William Bass Thurston, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1895 Thomas Kirkwood, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1897 William Douglas Burns, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street


Launceston Advertiser, 28 September 1831

Cornwall Chronicle, 15 October 1836
Cornwall Chronicle, 15 October 1836

Read more

Patriot King William the Fourth, Evandale

16 High Street, Evandale. Google Maps.

As all the source materials (licensing lists, newspaper advertisements etc) only give the locality or town, it is difficult to tell if a hotel has always been at location or might have, in its earlier years, been elsewhere. In this case, Karl von Stieglitz says John Williat had an inn at New River in 1832 that “was built on the 37.5 acre block on which his house, the Laurels, and also later ‘The Patriot King William the Fourth’, now Blenheim, were afterwards erected”, but at the bottom of the same page he says Blenheim “was built as ‘The Patriot King William the Fourth” in 1832, being licensed in October of that year”. So take that as you will.
(A history of Evandale, K. R. von Stieglitz, 1967, p. 68)


November 2004

1832 John Willett, New River
1833 John Williatt, Patriot King, William IV, South Esk
1834 John Williat, King William the Fourth, South Esk River
1835-37 John Williat, Patriot King, William the Fourth, New River
1838-39 John Williat, Patriot King, William the 4th, Evandale
1840 Eleanor Perkins, King William the Fourth, Evandale,
1841-42 John Williatt, Patriot King, William IV. Evandale.
1843-1849 Thomas Fall, Patriot King, William the Fourth, Evandale
1849-1853 John Williat, King William the Fourth, Evandale
1853-57 William Wright, Patriot King (William IV), Evandale
1857-1870 John Duffell, Patriot King Hotel, Evandale
1871-76 Dinah Duffell, Patriot King Hotel, Evandale.
1876+ Private residence

Read more

North Esk Inn — St Leonards Hotel, St Leonards

327 St Leonards Rd, St Leonards. Google maps.

Dscf9147

1857-59 R. Lewis, North Esk Inn, Patterson Plains/St Leonards
1860-63 Walter Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1863 John Martin, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1863 Thomas Humphreys, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1864 James Ley, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1865-66 Henry Walbourne, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1867-69 William Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards*
1870-1884 Walter Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1884-1895 Charles Manser, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1896-98 Henry A. Percy, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1898 George Julius Petterson, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1899-1901 George Wilton, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards

*William Harris might be the (adopted) son of Walter.

Richard Lewis, North Esk Inn, Patterson’s Plains.
The Police Magistrate gave some information respecting the applicants and the ocality of the houses. They were all new houses except the Commercial Inn and the iasgow Wine Vaults. He handed in a memorial against Mr. Hyrons’ house.
The applications were then considered in the following order:
Richard Lewis.-Mr. Douglas said the applicant was a well-conducted man, better known, perhaps, as “Dick,” the guard of the mail. The house was a new one, near Mount Esk. It was well recommended, was much wanted, and had good accommodation.
The Police Magistrate said there was no licensed house for miles, and he did not object. Granted.

Launceston Examiner, 2 December 1856

Read more