Black Horse (1) [Tailor’s Arms, Hand & Shears]

York & St John Street

1834 William Woods, Black Horse, Launceston

THOSE eligible Premises at the corner of York and St. John Streets, now in the occupation of Mr. John Furlong.
The Premises consist of a House containing seven Rooms, and a good Loft of 40 feet long, well calculated either for a comfortable Private Residence, or for a public House. For further particulars apply to the proprietor, on the premises.
Cornwall Chronicle, 8 August 1835

The Independent, 19 July 1834

To be Let.
With immediate Possession, that well known Public House, the “Black Horse,” at the corner of York and St John Streets, lately occupied by William Woods. The House is in tenantable repair, and contains seven rooms, with a store above 40 feet long. There is a large Yard, Stable and Skittle Ground, with a good Garden, well stocked with Fruit Trees, &c. Rent moderate to a respectable tenant.
Apply to Mr. John Furlong, corner of, Elizabeth and Wellington Streets, or at this Office.

John Furlong seems associated with a number of public houses that don’t seem to exist outside of one notice/advertisement


1835 John Furlong, Tailor’s Arms, Launceston

Cornwall Chronicle, 28 November 1835


Furnished or Unfurnished,
THAT well-known house, situate at the corner of York and St. John-streets, lately occupied as a Public House, by the sign of the HAND and SHEARS, containing 7 large and commodious rooms, with yard adjoining. The situation is so well known, either for public or private business, that comment is unnecessary.
The fixtures, which are of the best description for the Public Line, may be had at a valuation. Apply lo Mr. John Furlong, on the premises.
Launceston Advertiser, 10 November 1836

Queen’s Head (1)

Wellington & Elizabeth Streets
(John Ashton, previously associated with the King’s Arms at the same intersection owned land on the NW corner, later the site of George Inn. Presumably these premises are all at the same location)

38-39 John Ashton, Queen’s Head, Wellington & Elizabeth Streets
1839-40 Frederick Myers, Wellington & Elizabeth Streets

Launceston Advertiser, 8 August 1839

At a quarterly meeting of Justices held at Launceston, on Monday, the ?th day of August, the following Transfer of Licence to retail fines and Spirits was allowed :–
Thomas Archer to Charles Grant, “The Plough,” Charles-street, Launceston.
And on Friday, the 9th of August, the following Transfers were approved of.–
John Ashton to Frederick Meyers, ‘”The Queen’s Head,” the comer of Wellington and Elizabeth-streets, Launceston.
Henry Stephens to John Auchey, ‘The Wattle Tree,”‘ the corner of Wellington and Elizabeth-streets, Launceston.
Dated this 12th day of August, 1839.
Clerk of the Peace.
Cornwall Chronicle, 24 August 1839

F. Meyers, Queen’s Head; Major Wentworth objected to a license being granted to Mr. Meyers, on account of his opposition to the police in the execution of their duly upon several occasion— application refused.
Launceston Advertiser, 3 September 1840

Launceston Advertiser, 17 September 1840

Sawyer’s Arms (1)

Cameron Street


The Colonist, 20 May 1834
The Colonist, 20 May 1834

[Antonio Martini] By 1823 he had received his ticket-of-leave and moved to Launceston. The same year he bought a town allotment in Tamar Street and three years later purchased adjoining land. In 1825 he received his certificate of freedom and built two dwellings on his land. One structure, a two-storey wooden building with verandah and balcony, was to become known as Martini’s Corner. About 1828 he rented this building to B Smythe, who conducted his Cornwall Collegiate Institution there until 1834, when Martini converted the building to a hotel, calling it the Sawyer’s Arms. He was the licensee until 1843.

About 1832 he started a timber business in partnership with William Burke: in 1833 Martini was listed as a sawyer in Launceston. In 1833 he married Mary O’Mara, who had arrived in Hobart on the Norval in 1830. They had a son, born in 1834, and a daughter, born in 1836. Mary died on 18 June 1836, soon after the birth of her daughter. In 1838 Martini constructed a wooden building in Cameron Street, next to his hotel on the corner of Tamar and Cameron streets, to serve as the first dedicated place of worship for the Catholics of Launceston. It was the Catholic Chapel from 1838 to 1842, when St Joseph’s was opened in Margaret Street. He built a brick hotel on the corner of Brisbane and Tamar streets in 1844. Later named the Royal Oak, it was leased by the Martini family to a succession of publicans until the 1950s when it passed out of the Martini family ownership. Antonio Martini died at his home in Tamar Street on 6 March 1867, aged eighty-seven years.
Launceston Historical Society Inc, Newsletter No 104, October 2007, p. 6 (pdf)

Wattle Tree Inn

Bathurst & Elizabeth Streets
(not NE corner)

1837-39 Henry Stephens, Wattle Tree Inn, Bathurst & Elizabeth
1839-40 John Aughey, Wattle Tree Inn, Bathurst & Elizabeth

Mr. Henry Stephens, of the Wattle Tree, appeared to answer an information charging him with having neglected to keep the outer door of his licensed house closed on Sunday last. Mr. Home for the defence, stated to the Bench, that it was not his intention to plead to the information, but objected to give his reason, saying that should he do so, it would only militate against the interests of his client, for the present information would be with drawn, and another laid, in which the informality would of course be rectified. Capt. Wentworth here said, that if Mr. district constable Keenahan would consent, and Mr. Home’s objection prove valid, he would promise that no other information on the present case, should be brought into court. Mr Keenahan consented, and Mr. Home then pointed out, that the summons did not mention any Act of Council which his client was stated to have transgressed. Capt. Wentworth was, however, of opinion, that Mr. Stephens having appeared to it, all defects in the summons was cured, and Mr. Home again denied any appearance, firstly, because he had refused to plead, and secondly, because when the case was called in ‘an early part of the morning, himself and client were both absent, and he, therefore, con tended, that a non-appearance should have been entered. Upon this point, Copt. Wentworth finally arranged to consult the opinion of the Attorney General, and in the mean time suspended the proceedings. The case was then adjourned.
Cornwall Chronicle, 17 February 1838

H. STEPHENS begs leave to inform his Friends and the Inhabitants in general that he has fitted up a room for the above purpose, in which they will find every accommodation and comfort; and they will always find ready, in addition to Tea and Coffee, Meats, Sandwiches, soups, &c., at very moderate charges.
H.S., in soliciting the patronage of the inhabitants of Launceston and his country friends can assure them that every Article provided shall he of the best quality, and he trusts that one trial will ensure him a continuance of their favors.
Dinners, Made Dishes, &c, provided for parties in a superior style at the shortest notice.
N. B.— Good Beds and Stabling.
Launceston, 2nd February, 1839
Cornwall Chronicle, 2 February 1839

AT a MEETING held on the 12th inst., at Mr. H. Stephen’s, ” Wattle Tree Inn,” it was unanimously agreed, that there should be a SUBSCRIPTION BALL held there on TUESDAY, 5th March.
JOHN AUSTIN, } Stewards
Tickets to be had of the Stewards, or at the Bar.
Cornwall Chronicle, 2 March 1839

Mr. Aughie, Wattle Tree. Mr. W. Brigg, deferred to Quarterly Meeting, the applicants being at present insolvent, but on the point of making a composition with his creditors, before which he was not entitled to receive a license.
Launceston Advertiser, 3 September 1840

To respectable men of moderate capital.
TO Let, and possession given in 10 days, that invaluable Licensed House and Premises, corner of Bathurst and Elizabeth-streets, now in full trade, and known as the sign of the Wattle Tree Public House. For further particulars, enquire of Mr. J. Gerard, Cataract Brewery, or Mr. H. Stephens, on the premises.
June 8th, 1839.
Cornwall Chronicle, 20 July 1839

At a quarterly meeting of Justices held at Launceston, on Monday, the ?th day of August, the following Transfer of Licence to retail fines and Spirits was allowed :–
Thomas Archer to Charles Grant, “The Plough,” Charles-street, Launceston.
And on Friday, the 9th of August, the following Transfers were approved of.–
John Ashton to Frederick Meyers, ‘”The Queen’s Head,” the comer of Wellington and Elizabeth-streets, Launceston.
Henry Stephens to John Auchey, ‘The Wattle Tree,”‘ the corner of Wellington [Bathurst] and Elizabeth-streets, Launceston.
Dated this 12th day of August, 1839.
Clerk of the Peace.
Cornwall Chronicle, 24 August 1839

Cornwall Chronicle, 28 September 1839
Launceston Advertiser, 31 March 1842

From an advertisement:
A capital brick house situate at the corner of Elizabeth and Bathurst-street, lately known as the ” Wattle Tree Inn,” together with large allotment of land, these premises are let at the rate of £40 per
Launceston Examiner, 8 December 1847

1838 Launceston

John Ashton, Queen’s Head, Launceston,
Thomas Archer, Plough Inn, ditto.
William Brown, Mermaid, W. B. River Tamar
William Broad, Cross Keys, Launceston.
Robert Brand, Ship Ian, ditto.
Joseph Barrett, King’s Arms, ditto.
Edward Browne, Gardener’s Lodge, ditto.
John Bonerey, Deloraine Inn, Deloraine.
William Broad, Fox Hunter’s Return, Campbellton
Peter Clyne, Berriedale, Longford.
George Coulton, Friend’s Arms, East Bank, River Tamar.
James Corbett, Green Gate, Launceston.
Mary Ann Cox, Cornwall Hotel, ditto.
William Collins, Hull’s Head, ditto.
John Daniels, Ferry House, ditto.
John Jacob Driver, Whale Fishery, ditto.
Thomas Dudley, Verandah Wine Vaults, do.
William Frost, Launceston Hotel, ditto.
Thomas Faro, Half Moon, ditto.
Thomas Full, Portland Inn, Long Meadows,
William Forbes, Westbury Inn, Westbury.
William Major Grayling, Dover Castle, ditto.
John Hinshaw, Kangaroo, ditto.
James Hope, Victoria Inn, Ross.
Thomas Hughes, Ross Hotel, ditto.
Richard Heancy, Tasmanian Inn, Perth.
James Houghton, Mitre Tavern, Longford.
Daniel Judson, York Wine Vaults, Launceston
Britton Jones, Sir William Wallace, Franklin in Village.
Hugh Kane, Campbelton Inn, Campbelton.
George I.ukin, Wharf House, Launceston.
William Mason, Black Swan, ditto.
Antonio Martini, Sawyer’s Arms, ditto.
William Milne, Union, ditto.
John M’Kenzic, Scottish Chiefs, ditto.
Josias M’Allan, Glasgow Wine Vaults.
Josiah Pitcher, Hibernia, ditto.
Edmund Pearse, Kings’ Arms, Longford.
Charles Robinson, Hope Inn, Westbury.
Robert Richmond, Steam Packet Tavern, do.
George Had ford, Golden Lion, ditto.
Henry Reading, Edinburgh Castle, ditto.
Robert Robson, Crown, ditto.
Henry Stephens, Wattle Tree, ditto.
James Segrave, Halfway House, Cocked Hat Hill.
Samuel Sherlock, White Hart, George Town.
George Scott, Caledonian Inn, Campbell Town.
John Taylor, Carrick Inn, Carrick.
William Thornhill, Bald faced Stag, Epping Forest
Thomas Tucker, Gardiner’s Arms, Avoca.
Thomas Twining, Britannia Wine Vaults, Launceston.
John Gardiner Thomas, George Inn, ditto.
Susan Weavers, Duke of York, ditto.
George Williams, Babes in the Wood, ditto.
James Whitehead, Eagle’s Return, Snake Banks.
George Thomas Wilton, Waterloo Tavern, GcorgcTown.
James Yates, Bricklayers’ Arms, Launceston.
John Barrett, Black Horse, Launceston.
Edmund Bartlett, Victoria Tavern, ditto,
Benjamin Hyrons, London Tavern, ditto.
Jonathan Ives, George and Dragon, ditto.
Richard Pitt, St. Andrew’s Inn, Perth.
John Williat Patriot King, William the Fourth, Evandale.
Cornwall Chronicle, 20 October 1838

Freemasons Tavern

Elizabeth & Wellington Streets, possibly NE corner

1834-35 John Backer Harwood, Freemasons Tavern, Launceston
1835-36 Henry Harris, Freemasons Arms, Launceston
1836 John Peter Armstrong, Freemasons Arms, Elizabeth Street
1836-1837 John Jacobs, Freemasons Tavern, Elizabeth Street

These seem to be the same house, despite the different name.

JJAV1NG taken those premises, know as the Commercial Warehouse, at the corner of Elizabeth and Wellington Streets, begs leave to inform his friends and the public, that he has oa Sale the undermentioned articles, viz:—
Hyson Skin Tea, ex Lady Hayes
Isle of France Sugar
Prime Sydney Butter and Cheese
American Negro Head Tobacco
Manilla Cigars
English and Colonial Soap
Red Herrings, Starch, &c, &c.
The above articles will be sold cheap for cash, as the premises are going to b Opened, and will be known as the Free Mason’s Tavern, where the best and choicest description of wines, spirits, ales, porter, and cordials, will be kept, wholesale and retail,
N. B.—A Meeting at the above Tavern by the Brethren of the Masonic Order, will be held in the early part of next month, of which due notice will foe given.
Launceston, Sep. 3, 1834.
The Independent, 17 September 1834

EACH of the undermentioned parties residing in the Division of the Island of Van Diemen’s Land commonly called “Cornwall” has applied for and obtained a license to retail wines and spirits &c., for the period ending the 29th day of September in the year now next ensuing, provided it be not forfeited before such day. . . John Backer Harwood, Freemason’s Tavern, [Launceston]
Launceston Advertiser, 16 October 1834

The Independent, 18 October 1834

SIR,– I was greatly surprised at hearing a case at the Police Office in this Town on Tuesday week last, wherein it appeared on clearest evidence possible, that a party of Captains of ships and Merchants who had met at the Freemason’s Tavern, where at the early hour of eight o’clock in the evening disturbed by a band of constables, headed by a district constable named Keenahan, who entered the room, and in the most insulting manner insisted on remaining there; that the Landlord and Landlady both begged the constables not to intrude their company upon a private part of friends, who of the highest respectability,–yet, this district constable insisted on doing so, and with the least provocation assaulted and beat those? ? about the head with bludgeons in a shameful manner and dragged them bleeding to the watchouse, and to add to their brutality, forced them into a cell amongst prisons in irons?.
The Independent, 15 November 1834

Extract from “To the Editor”:
I was present during the whole of the investigation at the Police Office on the 4th inst. (if as you say investigation it may be called) and a friend of mine took down the whole of the evidence. The only disinterested witnesses who were examined were Mrs. Fenton, and Mr. Scott, both of whom are very creditable person indeed. Mrs. Fenton stated : that she and Mrs. Harwood the Landlady, : both begged district constable Keenahan not to intrude his company upon the Gentlemen who were dining up stairs; yet he swore he would do so, abused them grossly, and called them the most filthy and opprobrious names. Mr. Scott stated, he had not been in the room more than ten minutes when Keenahan forced his way into it, and that Mr. Harwood, the Landlord requested him quietly to go away, when he replied in an Irish accent “by J—-s I will not,” this is a licensed house, and I will stop as long as I like, and go into every room I please;” that some words ensued between him (Keenahan) and the Company, and that Keenahan collared one of the gentlemen and struck him upon the head with his bludgeon; that this was the first blow, and the Commencement of the affray.
The Independent, 22 November 1834

TO LET.— The undersigned is desirous to let on lease for the unexpired term of 5 years, all that two-story House and Premises, known as the
The House has an extensive shop, capable of carrying on a first-rate Business, being in the most commanding situation in town, situated at the corner of Elizabeth and Wellington-streets.
Any person wishing to continue the license, early application is necessary, in order that it may be transferred the ensuing quarter. The stock on hand may be had at a fair valuation, which consists of Champaigne, Constantia, Port, Sherry, Madeira, Brandy, Gin, Rum, Cordials, Bottled Ale, Porter, Segars, Tobacco, Pipes, Furniture, and a variety of other goods. A first-rate Billiard Table, complete, by Curie and Co., Calcutta, the best finished in this colony.
N. B.— The undersigned being called away on urgent business for a short time, is the only reason for letting the premises.
All particulars may be known on application to Mr. J. B. HARWOOD, on the premises, or to Mr. Henry Davis, Auctioneer, Hobart Town.
Launceston, Feb. 28, 1835.
Launceston Advertiser, 5 March 1835

TO be Sold by Private Contract, an Allotment situate in Elizabeth-street, adjoining the Freemason’s Tavern, and on which there are erected two weather-boarded Houses, fronting the street, with garden behind the me, stable, and other conveniences. Apply the office of Mr. Paterson, St. John-street, or the owner, Robert Stenhouse, of the Crown Public House, Bathurst-street.
Launceston Advertiser, 4 June 1835

ALL those well-known premises situate in Elizabeth-street, at the principal entrance to Launceston, known as the “Freemasons’ Arms,” the proprietor Intending to leave the Colony. Particulars may be known by applying to Robert Day, the proprietor, on the premises.
Launceston, July 8, 1835.
Launceston Advertiser, 23 July 1835

Launceston, February 6, 1836.— At a Quarterly Meeting of Justices held on at the Court House, Launceston, on Monday, the 1st of February instant, the following transfers of Licenses were approved of :-
To John Peter Armstrong, of Launceston, to keep the house known by the sign of the ‘ Freemasons’ Arms,” in Elizabeth-street, Launceston, formerly licensed to Henry Harris
Launceston Advertiser, 18 February 1836

TO THE PUBLIC. JOHN H. JACOB, HAVING Transferred his License from the British Hotel, to the Freemason’s Tavern, respectfully solicits their continuance and support, trusting by attention, respect, and good liquors, to merit a share of their patronage. N. B.— Those Gentlemen frequenting the Billiard Table, will at all hours find tea, coffee, chops and steaks, with other refreshments, ready at the shortest notice. Freemason’s Tavern, corner of Elizabeth Street. Cornwall Chronicle, 5 March 1836


Launceston Advertiser, 6 October 1836

Freemasons’ Tavern (2) [Patriotic Six, Rainbow]

1845-46 Edward Broderick, Brisbane Street

From “Quarterly Licensing Meeting”:
Mr. Edward Brodribb applied, for a newly-built house at the foot of the Cataract-hill, lower part of Brisbane-street, to be called the Freemasons’ Tavern. Mr. Breton said he had been given to understand a licensed house was required there, in consequence of the rapid increase of the neighbourhood; and, unless the street leading thereto was repaired, it would be almost impossible for the inhabitants to have access to any other licensed house. Granted.
Launceston Examiner, 7 May 1845

Cornwall Chronicle, 17 May 1845

TO BE LET ON LONG LEASE OR SOLD, the following ALLOTMENTS of valuable property, in good condition: . . . . Lot 5, the “Free mason’s Tavern,’ a TWO-STORY HOUSE, Brisbane-street, Launceston. Immediate possession and due facility to purchasers and tenants will be given by the proprietor James Johnstone.
Cornwall Chronicle, 14 February 1846

TO BE LET,— The “Freemason’s Tavern,” Brisbane-street, at present unoccupied. The above Inn will be let to a respectable tenant on very moderate terms. Possession can be given on the 1st July next.
For further particulars apply to James Johnstone, St. John’s Tavern, comer of Charles and Elizabeth-streets.
Cornwall Chronicle, 13 June 1846

From “Annual Licensing Meeting”:
Edward Broderick, Freemasons’ Tavern.-In this case the police magistrate stated there were two applications, one by Broderick and another by a new applicant; he understood the first applicant had left the colony. Broderick was called three times and not answering, the license was refused.
Launceston Examiner, 5 September 1846

Edward Broderick, Lamb and Flag, Bathurst and York-streets.
It was intimated that be had left the colony— he was then directed to be called, and not answering, the license was refused.
. . .
Edward Lawrence, Patriotic Six, Bathurst and York-streets.
Mr. Dry. — I shall support that application ? (a laugh.)
Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1846

From “Quarter Sessions”:
An instance was within his own knowledge of an unintentional injustice having been done to an applicant at the last meeting, because he had not the opportunity of explaining himself. He referred to the application for a license to the” Patriotic Six,” which was treated as a new application, whereas in fact it was an old licensed house, formerly known as the “Freemason’s Tavern.” The license was refused upon the principle established by the magistrates, that no increase of licensed houses was required.
Launceston Examiner, 26 September 1846

From “Publicans’ Licenses”:
Wm. Forbes, Rainbow Inn (late Freemason’s Tavern.)-Objection recorded against the premises, and therefore the application shared the
same fate as the preceding, and was not entertained.
Launceston Examiner,4 November 1846