Concord model thorough-brace coach

Larger image.

At the National Museum of Australia (database record, has more photos).

The accompanying panel says:

Concord model thorough-brace coach 1860-80
This coach may have been manufactured by Cobb and Co. at its Charleville coachworks in Queensland or by a smaller company in the Gunnedah area of New South wales. It was used on Robert Nowland's Gunnedah to Coonabarabran mail run, probably the 1870s. At first this 100-kilometre route followed a rough bush track, if the coach got bogged or the road was too steep for the four-in-hand horse term, passengers had to get out and walk. In 18880, just after the railway reached Gunnedah, the government built a good road between the two towns. Nowland was granted persimmons to use the road in 1882 and it proved a lucrative route. If the weather was fine, the new route took 12 hours, with tree stops along the way to change horses.

Trunk about 1900
When the coach was acquired by the Museum in 1980 this wooden trunk came with it. The tray on the rear of the coach, known as the 'boot', was used for luggage, as was the roof. Goods were sometimes stowed under the seats and could bang passengers' legs on rough stretches of road.



(Larger version

Panel at the front say, in part:

Gig with Road Cart Body
This vehicle is a gig not a jinker, sulky or trap. The differences are that a gig has the shaft running right past the body to the rear of the vehicle. Gigs are also enclosed at the back, but have ample luggage space below the seat.

A road cart body was a particular style of body built by English carriage builders.

No details on its provenance are available, but it was built by F. Paine in Launceston in the late 1800s or early 1900s.

At Entally Estate.


(Larger image)

This is a light, two-wheeled horse-drawn vehicle. But how does it differ from other light, two-wheeled horse-drawn vehicles like gigs and sulkies? Short answer, it doesn't.

From "Sulkies, Whiskeys and Gigs" by Jeff Powell, Curator, Cobb & Co Museum in the Australian Carriage Driving Society Show Driving Handbook (PDF):

From Cooktown to Kalgoorlie and Cape Byron to Broome, the sulky was the most popular horse-drawn vehicle in Australia. These two-wheeled passenger vehicles, also known as gigs or jinkers in Victoria, could be found in every town and country district. Sulkies were light and stylish yet surprisingly robust. Many were still plying country tracks in the middle of the 20th century, long after other horse-drawn vehicles had disappeared from the road.

(Not to be confused with a timber-hauling jinker,  which has little in common other than power source.)

The bit on the front says:
The Common Jinker
These vehicles were used around towns and also around the cities prior to country use.
Used around the 1920's to the 1930's in the country towns.

From Beechworth Carriage Museum.

Bridge of HMAS Brisbane

Larger version

This area was dark, so there are two sets of photos, the first withut the flash and the second with. (Or you could head over to the Australian War Memorial website and check out the Google Street Maps version.

From the information panel:

After decades of service with the RAN and having seen action in the both the Vietnam and First Gulf Wars, HMAS Brisbane was decommissioned in 2001. In 2005 it was sunk off the Queensland coat and is now a dive site. Before the sinking, Brisbane's bridge was removed and brought to the Memorial. The bridge appears here in its Gulf War configuration

Type: Charles F. Adams Class guided-missile destroyer
Launched: 5 May 1966

There is also a "key" panel but it didn't photograph very well. However, I can't find it anywhere else so I've put it at the end.

From the entrance, face left and then clockwise/to the right.

From the entrance, face left and then clockwise/to the right.

Krauss Locomotive

Krauss locomotive
Several of these Krauss locomotives operated on Tasmania's West Coast. This particular engine once belonged to the Mt Lyell Mining Company. It runs on narrow (2 feet) gauge lines. By using these narrower tracks, the mining companies were able to build railway lines more cheaply to access areas that would have been very expensive to reach by other means.

Another Krauss locomotive.










No 8 tram, at Launceston Tramway Museum. It was in service in Launceston from October 1911 to June 1951.


Starting from the front, there is the driver's compartment, an open seating section, access to the saloon, saloon, another open seating section with a door into the saloon, and a driver's compartment at the other end.


Driver's compartment (front of tram to the right)

Read moreTram