Gatekeepers Cottage, Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens, Hobart

Following the resignation of Dr Story in 1845 after a mere twelve months as superintendent (Secretary Manager), the Royal Society decided to build a separate house for the Superintendent, possibly to make up for the relatively low salary. Designed by the Colonial Architect, Porden Kay, it was situated near the northern end of the Arthur Wall, and initially had two rooms and kitchen downstairs, with a (very) steep stairway to a small attic.

The Gardens and Government House are fortunate in lying on top of a delta-shaped deposit of fine sandstone, easily cut and shaped, whilst the remainder of the Domain is largely dolerite, a hard igneous rock much more difficult to work. Building was completed the same year it was begun, but appears never to have been occupied by any of the Superintendents, though it was certainly well-used. In its time it was home to an Overseer / gatekeeper, served as a porter’s Lodge and Tea Rooms: this last was not a success.
Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens

Right: Guide to cottage layout (not to scale)


Room 1 to right. Room 2 to left.

Read more

Callington Mill (restored).

Callington Mill, Oatlands. A working flour mill built in 1837. It was restored earlier this century and reopened in 2010. (Wikipedia.)

These photos are from 2015. There is another post with photos from 2008, during the restoration period, which shows inside before the installation of the equipment.

Unfortunately, these photos were taken late in the day so the light is poor. There better ones (some included below and others in linked posts) from 2018.

Granary
Miller's cottage
Stables 2012018


Inside mill.


Building to the left is granary.


Granary. More photos.


Miller's cottage. Better photos and inside.


Stable to the left. Photos here and here.

Mountgarrett’s Cottage (lathe & plaster construction)

Larger version

Mountgarrett's Cottage, Woolmers Estate. Constructed for Dr Mountgarrett in the 1820s and later moved to Woolmers, where it was used for agricultural purposes.

I wasn't going to post this one as the photos are poor quality, but because the building hasn't been maintained/restored as a residence, the construction details can be seen.

The cottage consists of two rooms. The main one  through the front door, which has had large double doors added at the back to allow access to the machinery, and a smaller room to the side.

Door to second room. Detail from wall below.

Lyons Cottage

Larger version

Lyons Cottage, Stanley. Birthplace of former priminister Joseph Lyons "demonstrates the characteristics of a single storey, weatherboard Victorian Georgian dwelling" (from the link P&WS site). Constructed prior to 1870. More about the history of the house (and Lyons) in the P&WS site.


A guide to which rooms the photos are from. (Not to scale, obviously.)

Room 1: Bedroom


From bedroom into the hall.


Room 2: across hall from bedroom.


Hall, looking through the main living room (#3) to the kitchen (#5). The doorway to the left at the front is the bedroom (#1).


Entrance to main living room (#3), looking through to kitchen with door to 4 on the right.


Room 3: main living room


Room 4, set up as a study. I would think it'd be a second bedroom.


Room 5: kitchen


Kichen, with door to outside (#6)


Marked as #6 on plan.


The external walls are split timber, which it's believe the original walls were. At some point (early twentieth century) they were replaced with newer weatherboards. When the cottage was restored in the 1970s, these were in turn removed and the split-timber walls & shingle roof reinstated. This is shown in the photo of photos below.

Miner’s Cottage, Beaconsfield

Opposite the Grubb Shaft Gold Museum (now Beaconsfield Mine & Heritage Centre) there's a small complex of recreated buildings with miner's cottage, school & shop. The school came from nearby Flower Gully. I can't remember the origin of the others.

The cottage consists of a single living room at the front (left to right when looking in the windows: fireplace & chair, table, bed) and a bathroom and dining/cooking room at the back. The latter visible through the door of the front room.

Img_9304

Img_9305

Img_9306

Img_9326

Img_9322

Img_9324

Img_9321

Img_9320

Blundells Cottage

Originally from LiveJournal

This one is Blundells Cottage from the park along edge of Lake Burley-Griffin in Canberra. One of the few buildings in the area that pre-date the creation of the Australian Capital Territory. Information from the self-guided tour brochure is in italics.

Img_9598

This small stone cottage was built about 1860 as a home for workers on the Duntroon Estate. A number of familiar lived in the cottage over the hundred years it was occupied. The first two families, the Ginns and then the Blundells were employees of Robert Campbell, who owned the Duntroon Estate.

 

Img_9581

The front opens onto this living room, or parlour, and there's a bedroom to the right. Then through that door there to a work room, with another bedroom off to the right. Then through the next door to a little lean-to type hall and the kitchen. And a door to the backyard and shed at the end of the hall. Hence the bright light.

Img_9583
Another view of the parlour. The objects in this room reflect leisure activities that were popular at the time.

Img_9591
The bedroom off the parlour. Note the edge of the wall.

Img_9658

This is the back/work room. This room had various uses over the one hundred years that the cottage was occupied. It is probably that it was a winter bath area during the Blundell era [from 1874], with bath water being carried up from the river and heated over the fire. ... It may have also functioned as a work room for leather working, ironing, and extracting honey from the Blundell family's beehives.

Img_9660
The original shingle roof can be seen through a space in the Hessian ceiling.

Img_9612
Still in the workroom, the doors lead to the parlour and second bedroom. Rough walls.

Img_9665
Also note the different types of flooring.

Img_9614
The second bedroom, off the work room.

Img_9634
From the little hall, looking back towards the front door: work room, then parlour, with the bedrooms off to the left.

Img_9621

Two additional rooms were added in 1888. Initially, [this room] was used as a bedroom. It probably became a kitchen in the 1930s when the Oldfields moved into the cottages. Many of the objects on display would have been in use until the 1940s and '50s. The room through that door which is now used as a office had many different uses during the Blundells' time.

Img_9626
Img_9619
From outside the back door, looking back into the hall with the kitchen to the left there.

Img_9617

The backyard with slab shed. The slab building was constructed by splitting tree trunks into thick planks, or slabs. This was common building practise and only used hand too. ... As the Blundell family grew, the old boys slept out here [in the shed] with their father. They probably used camp beds and kept a wood stove alight.

Img_9636
Inside the slab building.

Img_9640
Window.

Img_9646
Wall detail.

Img_9650

I haven't seen an outdoor oven before. This is behind the workroom chimney. In about 1888 the Blundells had a bread oven built on to the east wall of the cottage.

Img_9657
Chimneys for work room and parlour.

Img_9579
This long bit at the back is the kitchen and office room.

Trentham Cottage, Port Arthur/Carnarvon

Img_7334

From the panel out the front"

"The building here now was built around 1900 by the Trenham family and was called Trentham Cottage. It is a typical house of the Carnovon period [after Port Arthur penal settlement closed down]. The house and garden have been restored to show how they might have looked in 1915."

Img_7344
Looking from the front door.

Img_7337
The short hall was two bedrooms opening off it, and a living room at the end. Unfortunately all these rooms are shown behind glass so they don't photograph well when you're in a hurry.

Read more