Part I
Part II


ANOTHER SERIOUS COACH ACCIDENT.-AS Mrs. Cox’s coach was proceeding to Hobart Town on Thursday last, an accident occurred at Oatlands which had well nigh proved fatal. It appears that the horses, after being changed, were, through gross negligence, left to take care of themselves. Mr. Atkinson and another person had resumed their seats on the outside, when the horses started off at a furious rate; the reins being down, and there being a precipitous descent before them, the two gentlemen leaped off the coach. Mr. Atkinson fell on the back of his head and was for some time insensible. After being assisted to the hotel he recovered so far as to be able to proceed to Hobart, where lie has since been under medical treatment, and we hope he is now recovering.
Launceston Examiner, 7 February 1849

William Davis (free) was fully committed to take his trial for embezzlement. By the evidence adduced, it appeared that the prisoner, who was employed by Mrs. Mary Ann Cox, as guard to her night coach, had received the turn of one pound from Wm. Chandler, being (as he told Chandler) the amount of the coach fare, (outside), from Hobart Town to Launceston. Chandler, previous to paying Davis, demanded a’ receipt, which was given by the prisoner. On Chandler’s arrival at Launceston, and conceiving he bad paid too much, he went to the Coach-office, and showed his receipt; this led to the discovery that Chandler’s name was not entered on the Weigh Bill, and that Davis had appropriated the money to his own use. Constable Desmond who apprehended him, deposed to having searched the prisoner and found the sum of ten shillings and one penny on him; the prisoner was fully committed to take his trial at the ensuing Quarter Sessions.
Cornwall Chronicle, 14 March 1849

COACH ACCIDENT.–On Monday night, as Mrs. Cox’s coach was approaching Jericho, one of the fore wheels was discovered to have heated, and it emitted strong sparks like flashes of lightning. On arriving at Jericho a supply of water was procured, and considerable delay occurred in endeavouring to remove the wheel, but not being able to accomplish it, the coach proceeded, and by a plentiful supply of water and grease at every stage, was brought on as far as the Eagle’s Return, where the wheel was removed, and both the box and axletree were found to have sustained considerable injury. It was thought that, with care, the journey might be accomplished, but before arriving at Perth the box was destroyed, as well as the nave of the wheel, and it became necessary to leave the coach about a mile on the other side of the bridge; some of the passengers came in by the mail, and the remainder by Hyrons’s coach from Perth. No blame attaches to Mrs. Cox or her servants, as the coach only left Mr. Frazer’s establishment in the morning, and ought to have been in good order for the journey.
Launceston Examiner, 4 April 1849

His Honor took his seat at ten o’clock.
John Sinclair, foreman — William Carr, John Morrison, Joseph Kirby, Welsh Linton, Thomas Hardman, John Linton, William Bramich, John K. Archer, Henry Stephen son, William Peck, Emanuel Littlejohn.

Charge of Embezzlement.

William Davis, was placed at the bar, charged with feloniously stealing one pound, the property of Mary Ann Cox, on the 6th of March last. He was defended by Mr. Macdowell.

Mary Ann Cox. — I reside in Launceston; am proprietress of coaches travelling to and from Launceston to Hobart Town; the prisoner was in witness’s employ, as guard to one of the coaches, and was authorised to receive the fares from the passengers, which he handed to the clerks at Launceston, and Hobart Town; at the end of the journies, it was his duty to enter the fares on the way bill; he left Hobart Town as guard to Launceston on the 5th March last; the coach arrived at Launceston on the morning of the 6th; Matthew Chandler’s name was not inserted on the waybill; (produced) the fare is one pound; did not receive such fare; never authorised prisoner to detain money so received, beyond the journies.

Richard Shaw Nichols. — Resides in Launceston; am clerk to Mrs. Cox; (agreement of Davis to act as guard produced.) (the way bill produced for the 5th March); no entry of the name of Matthew Chandler; the way bill is an account of names received on that journey; prisoner did not mention the name of Matthew Chandler as a passenger; did not account in money for him; asked the prisoner if he had reported all passengers and parcels on that journey; he replied ‘yes’; amount of cash received that morning was 32s 6d, marked on the way bill; it does not include the fare 20s, for Matthew Chandler.

Cross-examined by Mr. Macdowell. — Did not see Davis the same day; saw Chandler the next day; knew Chandler as a pork butcher in this town; the agreement drawn up was read over to the prisoner and signed by him.

Matthew Chandler. — Am a Butcher; reside in Launceston; on the 5th of March, was a passenger on Mrs. Cox’s night coach, the Diligence; crossing the punt at Bridgewater, prisoner said he wanted one pound for the fare; witness refused, as the fare was 15; ultimately gave him a pound; he produced the way bill, saying he must account to Mrs. Cox; prisoner gave witness a receipt for 20s; which witness gave to Mrs. Cox, at Launceston.

Cross-examined by Mr. Macdowell. — Gave the receipt to Mr. Nicholls, about two days after; told the prisoner he would see Mrs. Cox about it; insisted upon having a receipt as he (witness) disputed the fare; receipt written in a particular form. In answer to the Attorney General, he (witness) did not dictate the form of the receipt.

Mr. McDowell, in addressing the jury, spoke as to Chandler not seeing Mrs. Cox on his immediate arrival, relative to the payment of the 20s,, spoke as to the nature of the agreement between the guard and Mrs. Cox; he was certainly responsible for monies received, but not bound to make entries at public houses; he should confidently leave the case in their hands.

His Honor observed, that he thought it quite unnecessary to recapitulate the evidence; it did not require it.

The Jury retired, and after a long consultation, returned into Court, there being a difference of opinion as to the nature of the charge. They had been deliberating whether the money had been detained in error or not; but his Honor informed them that the charge was for embezzlement, and not for error. The gentlemen of the jury having again consulted together, ultimately acquitted the accused
Cornwall Chronicle, 7 April 1849

SERIOUS COACH ACCIDENT.-We have received from one of our correspondents the following account of the late accident to Mrs. Cox’s coach, the accuracy of which statement cannot be doubted : -“It is with extreme regret that I have to inform you that an accident occurred to the coach on Saturday evening last, attended with painful circumstances. The following particulars I wrote down from the information given by a passenger who was sitting behind the coachman at the time, and who, immediately after the accident, rode one of the leaders into Launceston to report the event. He states, that on their arriving at the top of the hill above the Cocked Hat, four miles from Launceston, they saw a cart and two horses about forty or fifty yards before them, standing across the road, the leading horse being on one side, and the tail of the cart on the other side of the road, so that there was not room for the coach to pass. He (the passenger alluded to), the guard, and the coachman all called out, but they did not see anyone with the cart or horses, which remained in the same position, and the coachman was not able to pull-up before the leaders came in contact with the leading horse in the cart, and threw him down. The coach passed on, and he observed that, from the pole-hook having been broken, the off wheel horse was at liberty, so that the coachman had no command over him, and consequently as they were then descending the hill, and the horses being startled, the coach proceeded with increased speed, swaying from side to side, until it upset about fifty yards further on. He looked into the cart as they passed, but could not see any person in charge of it.

On the coach turning over, the fore-carriage was dragged from the perch-bolt, and the leading horses bolted, but the wheelers were stopped. He assisted to lift up the coach, and one of the leading horses having been stopped and brought back, he rode it into Launceston. The other leading horse ran about a mile, and met with some accident by which he was killed. There were ten persons inside and outside at the time of the accident, besides the coachman and guard. The Rev. Mr. West, who was inside, escaped unhurt, the Rev. Mr. Hewlett, who was also inside, suffered dislocation of the shoulder, occasioned by his arm being in the sling, and by that means getting wrenched. Ann Maher and two children, outside passengers, escaped with but little injury. Several other passengers were bruised, but not severely. The guard, Richard Church, who is the greatest sufferer, was unfortunately thrown partly under the coach, which was dragged two or three yards after it fell; both his legs were thereby injured, and one very severely. Immediately on the occurrence being reported, Mrs. Cox sent out two cabs for the passengers and luggage, and Drs. Maddox and Carey proceeded towards the spot, but meeting with a chaise cart, in which some of the passengers had been forwarded to Launceston, they returned, being informed there was no occasion for them to go further. It was found, however, that Mr. Hewlett had been obliged to stop at the inn at Cocked Hat, and Dr. Kenworthy had been sent for from Evandale, and on the return of the cabs to Launceston, Dr. Maddox immediately proceeded in one of them to render such assistance as might be deemed necessary. The damage done to the coach was not considerable. The perch-bolt was bent, and the pole, one of the panels, and the front seat, were broken. I have thought it necessary to give you the particulars of this melancholy accident thus minutely as, distressing as it is, exaggerated reports have already got into circulation, some persons supposing that one or more passengers had been killed. Mrs. Cox, I may say, is nearly heartbroken from so many misfortunes having occurred of late, notwithstanding that she has done every thing in her power to avoid them.”
-[It is to be regretted that coach accidents so frequently occur, and it is the more unfortunate that one who has for many years striven to gain a respectable livelihood by integrity and perseverance should so often be the sufferer. -ED. Col. Times.]
Colonial Times, 10 April 1849

Another of those dangerous occurrences, which have of late caused so much public excitement, took place with Mrs. Cox’s Day-coach, on Saturday night. The report brought into town at first was, that the Coach had overturned, through the furious driving of the Coachman down the hill on the south of the Cocked Hat, and that several passengers were killed, and others seriously wounded; and the alarm on the part of the public, those especially who expected arrivals by the Coach, was very considerable. Fortunately however, the case, was not so disastrous as rumour at first made it, though it was bad enough as the following statement will show. It appears that as the Coach was coming down the hill in question, a cart drawn by two horses, was proceeding in the opposite direction, the driver being intoxicated, and not paying any attention to the shouting of the Coachman to get out of the way. The drag having been omitted to be put on the Coach wheel, the exertions of the Coachman to clear the cart were ineffectual, the pole chain broke, and the off wheeler fell; the leaders dashed off, knocked down the fore horse of the cart, dragging the Coach over the body of the cart horse; the Coach after rocking a few times, fell over with a tremendous crash. The passengers were more or less injured; the Rev. S. Hewlett, of Hobart Town, who was inside, and on his way to Launceston, (where he had been advertised to preach Anniversary sermons on the Sunday) had his shoulder dislocated, and was conveyed with as little delay as possible, to Mr. Pileum’s, and medical aid sent for.

The guard (a young man named Church) was most seriously injured, and it was necessary to have him taken to the Colonial Hospital, without loss of time. His right leg was so much mutilated, as to make amputation necessary, which was successfully performed by Dr. Casey on Sunday, the unfortunate man being under the influence of Chloroform or aether at the time. At first his life was despaired of, but he is, we hear, now going on favorably. As soon as intelligence of the accident reached town, some cabs and carts were despatched by Mrs. Cox after the passengers and luggage. The proper Coachman was not driving on this occasion, he having obtained leave to return to Hobart Town that journey, and his place being occupied by one of the guards (Vines), who has, however, had much former experience in driving. When the coach overturned, the two leaders galloped off fiercely towards town, but one of them coming in contact with a heap of stones, near Kerry bridge, fell, and was killed on the spot; the off wheeler was killed by the Coach falling on him. The proprietress has evinced the utmost distress and anxiety, on account of this disastrous affair, but we must say, the public are interested in having some enquiry made into this, and the ten or twelve other accidents that have happened with Mrs. Cox’s Coaches since Christmas; people who place their lives in the keeping of a Coachdriver, ought to have some assurance, that moderate caution will be used by them, the proprietors and their underlings, so as to render traveling secure. In the event of any of these accidents terminating fatally, the jury would no doubt mark such occurrences with signal disapprobation not only in bringing in a verdict of manslaughter, but likewise fixing a deodand on the conveyance. We may just remark, that the practice of stage-coachmen pulling up at almost every inn, for the purpose of imbibing, makes it necessary for them to make up for lost time, by furious driving, and to the drivers being so much under the influence of liquor, may be attributed the many accidents to which we have alluded.
Cornwall Chronicle, 11 April 1849

CHLOROFORM.-The right leg of Richard Church, the poor fellow who died on Wednesday, in consequence of injuries received by the late melancholy coach accident, was amputated on Sunday morning, the patient being under the influence of chloroform. The operation was performed by Dr. Cagey, in the presence of Drs. Maddox, Grant, & Guy. The anaesthetic was administered with complete success, as after the limb had been removed, on the patient coming to himself, He asked when the operation was to be performed. Not the slightest injurious effect was produced by the chloroform.

INQUEST.-An inquest was held at the Tasmanian Arms on Thursday, before D. Wentworth, Esq., coroner, on the body of Richard Church, who died in consequence of injuries sustained by the upsetting of a coach. Deceased was employed as guard to one of Mrs. Cox’s coaches, which on Saturday night last was upset, and fell on him. He was taken to the Colonial Hospital that night, and on Sunday morning it was found necessary to amputate the right leg, which had suffered the most, and it was accordingly removed. Dr. Casey stated that the fibula, or small bone of the leg, was split up through its head, and completely separated from its articulation with the adjoining bone; the muscles of the calf of the leg were crushed into a jelly. There could be no doubt the death of Church was caused by the shock sustained from the accident. The coroner remarked that as the inquiry would in all probability involve the liberty of the driver of the cart causing the accident, he should adjourn the in quest in order that he and other witnesses might be obtained. The further hearing of the evidence was postponed to Tuesday, 17th instant.
Launceston Examiner, 14 April 1849

THE COACH ACCIDENT.-The driver of the cart which Mrs. Cox’s couch came in contact with was asleep, and appeared to be drunk. The guard is since dead; he had a leg amputated on Sunday. When first seen he was lying under the coach, which had passed over his legs. He lay very patiently while the necessary steps were taken to remove the coach; his legs were frightfully mangled, and in that state he was carried into Launceston. Among the persons injured was a little girl; the poor fellow, who displayed uncommon patience, requested the doctors to attend to her first.
The Courier, 14 April 1849

The late Coach Accident — Death of the Guard, and Inquest. — The unfortunate man Church, who was so dreadfully injured by the overturning of Mrs. Cox’s Coach on Saturday last, and the amputation of whose leg was reported in our last, died at the Colonial Hospital on Wednesday afternoon. We had no expectation that his case would terminate fatally when we penned the article that appeared in Wednesday’s number, the answer to our reporter’s enquiries at the Hospital being that Church was going on favourably : the senseless complaints we have received therefore of unfairness in the observations we thought it our duty to make, regarding frequent Coach Accidents, have no foundation. We regret as much as anyone Mrs. Cox’s ill-fortune, but at the same time the lives and limbs of stage coach travellers, are as dear to them and the community, as any private interests possibly can be. And now one of the sufferers is no more, and while the Coroner’s enquiry is pending, we shall offer no comment one way or the other, on the subject. The jury was convened on Thursday afternoon, at 2 o’clock, at the house of Mr. Peck, the ‘Tasmanian Arms,’ Wellington-street; Major Wentworth, Coroner. After the body had been viewed, Mr. Nichols, clerk to Mrs. Cox, identified it, and Dr. Casey deposed to the reception of deceased in the Hospital, the amputation performed, and the result of a post mortem examination, when the Inquest was adjourned to Tuesday next, to give time for the production of witnesses from the country. The publication of further particulars to-day, might frustrate the purposes of the enquiry. The whole evidence shall appear in due course.
Cornwall Chronicle, 14 April 1849

Mrs. COX.-We regret to perceive that this lady, who has so long and so efficiently maintained the communication on the line of road between the two principal towns of the Island, and who deserves so well of the public for her enterprize, disheartened by the frequent accidents which have lately occurred to her line of coaches, has determined to dispose of her establishment, and offers it for sale, by advertisement in another column of this journal, on the most liberal and eligible terms. In retiring from her present business, Mrs. Cox will carry the sympathy of the public with her; and it is only to be hoped that whoever succeeds Mrs. Cox, will display the same zeal for the public accommodation which she has always done.
Colonial Times, 17 April 1849

April 1849
COACH ESTABLISHMENT.-MRS. Cox advertises her coach establishment for sale. It is extensive and complete, and an enterprising purchaser who could devote his personal attention to the business might find it a desirable investment.
Launceston Examiner, 18 April 1849

ADJOURNED INQUEST.-The inquiry into the death of Richard Church, formerly guard of one of Mrs. Cox’s coaches, which has been twice adjourned, was completed yesterday, before D. Wentworth, Esq., coroner, and resulted in the committal of a man, named William Harris, on a charge of manslaughter. Several witnesses were examined, the evidence of whom proved beyond a doubt that Harris was guilty of gross negligence. The testimony of the Rev. Henry Gaud was in itself conclusive :-Only a few minutes before the accident to the coach Mr. Gaud passed the cart, which was on the wrong side of the road. Seeing no one with the horses he shouted, and coming up with the cart at the time, lie saw a man lying at the bottom of it, apparently asleep. Thinking he was intoxicated, he endeavoured to hit him with his whip to awaken him, at the same time calling out again, when a man lifted his head, but did not attempt to get up, or to move his horses to the right side of the road. When the coach came up with the cart, the horses appeared to be winding up the hill and were completely across the road. Not the slightest blame can he attached to the coachman or guard; indeed, they exerted themselves to the utmost to prevent an accident, but which efforts were unfortunately unsuccessful, The jury returned a verdict to the following effect: We find that Richard Church came by his death from injuries received by the upsetting of a coach, which upset was caused by the gross negligence of William Harris, and we therefore find him guilty of manslaughter. Only a fortnight before the melancholy occurrence poor Church signed the teetotal pledge, to prevent the possibility of his taking too much liquor on the road.
Launceston Examiner, 21 April 1849

(Before his honor SIR JOHN LEWES PEDDER, Chief Justice.)
Jury.-Messrs. Jas. Aikenhead (foreman),J. M’Allan, R. Williamson, T. Corbett, J. Lilly, S. Wilkins, J. Mitchell, C. N. Campbell, J. Fawns, J. Davis, Bernard Sweeney, D. Murray.

William Harris, who was committed for trial on a coroner’s warrant, was indicted for the manslaughter of Richard Church.

R. S. Nicholls sworn.-On the 7th of April last, Richard Church was employed as guard to Mrs. Cox’s day coach; on the morning of the 8th I saw him in the hospital; he had sustained very severe injuries; I afterwards saw his body in the dead house on the occasion of the inquest.
Continued — Launceston Examiner, 11 July 1849

Jurors — Messrs. James Aikenhead, Foreman; J. M’ Allan, R. Williamson, J. Corbett, J. Lilly, 6. Wilkins, J. Mitchell, C. N. Campbell, J. Fawns, J. Davis, B. Sweeney, D. Murray.
William Harris, was placed at the bar charged with manslaughter, on the 7th April last, to which charge the prisoner pleaded not guilty. The details of this case, having appeared in a previous publication, a summary of the trial will be nil that is necessary. The prisoner’ (who was a passholder in the service of Mrs. Tucker) was on the evening of the 7th of April returning from Launceston to Norfolk Plains, with a cart drawn by two horses, and when going up the hill in the vicinity of the Cocked Hat. was met by Mrs. Cox’s day coach; the driver of which (William Vines) through a breakage of the poll chain, was unable to guide his coach past the cart and horses, which were in a diagonal line in the road; the coachman and guard shouted to the prisoner to keep his own side, but in consequence of his being asleep in the cart, a collision took place and ultimately the coach was overturned and falling on Richard Church (the guard) so severely bruised him (his legs particularly) as to render amputation of the right leg necessary. The operation was performed by Dr. Casey at the Colonial Hospital; ultimately, and from the other severe injuries received, death ensued. The trial occupied several hours; the evidence in chief showed that had the driver of the cart and horses been at the side of his team, the fatal accident in all probability would not have occurred, for although the breakage of the pole chain had taken place, still the coachman had his horses sufficiently in hand to have pulled up at the bottom of the hill. His Honor then dwelt upon the whole of the evidence, after which the jury found a verdict of Guilty against the prisoner, who was sentenced to 15 years’ transportation.
Cornwall Chronicle, 11 July 1849


“The laws of the road are a paradox quite,
For when you are travelling along,
If you keep to the LEFT you’re sure to be RIGHT;
If you keep to the RIGHT you’ll be WRONG.”

A FATAL case to the deceased, and a serious one to other sufferers, was decided in the supreme court. The overthrow of Mrs. Cox’s coach, and the lamentable consequences that followed, must be fresh in the recollection of our readers. The man Harris, who drove the cart which occasioned the accident, was indicted for manslaughter, and the jury found him guilty. Of the identity of Harris there could be no doubt, and as little hesitation in attributing the catastrophe to the collision. But as the law does not recognise a right and wrong side, and only demands that a person occupying a position, not correct according to conventional usage, should exercise greater vigilance than usual, a question might arise as to the culpability of Harris. Unhappily the testimony of every witness was adverse to the prisoner. He was either intoxicated or unjustifiably careless;, and we trust the verdict will operate as a caution to all who travel the public lines of road. Life is frequently perilled, and property endangered by the remissness or recklessness of those in charge of vehicles; and now that a severe lesson has been taught, it is to be hoped it will prove salutary. In the present instance not only was the animal of a poor widow so seriously injured as to be useless hereafter, and the cattle and coach of Mrs. Cox damaged, but painful injuries were inflicted on the passengers, and one life was lost. Although the sentence may seem severe, it is not so great as many might imagine. The accused is a prisoner of the crown, and had still to serve eight years: the actual sentence is therefore but seven years’ transportation. That it was necessary an example should be made few will deny who are compelled to travel; and our hope is that the melancholy events will lead to the exercise of greater care in those entrusted with the conduct of carts, drays, and coaches.
Launceston Examiner, 11 July 1849

NEW COACH.-A coach has just been completed by Mr. Crocker, of York-street, for Mrs Cox, upon a different principle to any of her other coaches. It is lower, considerably lighter, and has three hind springs. Tho work appears substantially executed and well finished, and reflects credit on the manufacturer. The coach will remain at Mr. Crocker’s till the end of the week.
Colonial Time, 13 July 1849

EXPEDITIOUS TRAVELING.-Mrs. Cox advertises her intention of starting a coach to and from Hobart Town every Saturday evening at 5 o’clock.
Launceston Examiner, 3 November 1849

THE ROAD.-Page’s royal mail coach left Launceston at four o’clock on Monday morning, and arrived in town at twenty-six minutes after three o’clock. In about a quarter of an hour, Mrs. Cox’s coach, which started at the same hour, came in also. Thus both coaches performed the fastest trips that have been made upon the road. There will be every facility for travelling in this colony when the Salt Pan Plains line of road is thrown open :but, being a government undertaking, it will not be so soon completed. In addition to Page’s day and night mails, and the conveyances of Mrs. Cox, she has put on a coach for Saturday, thus avoiding the necessity for travelling on Sunday. Two of the horses belonging to the mail when taken out one day last week, instead of proceeding to the stables, rushed into the river at Bridgewater and were drowned. Mrs. Cox’s coach, when going out of town on Monday evening, came in contact with a dray which drew across the road at the corner of Liverpool-street; but beyond breaking a shaft of the dray, and running the splinters into one of the horses’ shoulders, no farther damage was done.
Launceston Examiner, 10 November 1849

November 1849
COACHING.-Mrs. Cox’s coach performed the distance from Launceston to Hobart Town on Saturday last in the incredibly short space of eleven hours, including stoppages. Groups of villagers assemble in every township along the road to witness the flying teams pass through their neighborhood. It is to be hoped this speedy mode of transit will not be interrupted by accident.
Launceston Examiner, 14 November 1849

SALE OF COACHES.-The whole of the coaches, horses, and harness, lately in the possession of Mrs. Cox, of Launceston, have been purchased by Mr. Page, of Oatlands, for £3,000.
Colonial Times, 7 December 1849

THE LAUNCESTON COACHES.-Mr. Page, the mail contractor, has become the purchaser of Mrs. Cox’s coach establishment. It is said he has given 3000l for the concern.
The Courier, 8 December 1849

A STRONG TEAM.-On Monday last, as Mrs. Cox’s coach was entering Oatlands from Hobart Town, a number of the inhabitants having got wind that their old police magistrate, Mr. Whitefoord, (who returned last week from England by the Windermere) was an inside passenger, met on the skirts of the township, and insisted upon taking the horses out, which the coachman good humoredly permitted, and they drew the coach through the township up to Nichols’s Hotel amidst continued cheering.

COACHING.-A treaty has been concluded between Mrs. Cox and Mr. Page, by which the former transfers to the latter the entire of her coach establishment, consisting of several coaches and a large number of horses, with harness, for a consideration of 3,000l. During the number of years Mrs. Cox has been engaged in the coaching business, her kindness and generosity have won the esteem of all; and now that she is about to seek the quiet of private life, she will retain the well wishes of her numerous friends. Mr. Page now has the whole line of road to himself, and he will doubtless study the interests of the community by maintaining present arrangements.
Launceston Examiner, 8 December 1849

THE LAUNCESTON COACHES. The arrangements having been completed by Mr. Page for the purchase of Mrs. Cox’s line of coaches on the Launceston road, the rivalry and opposition are of course now at an end, and Mr. Page gives notice, in another column, to prevent disappointment on the part of travellers, that now there is only one day coach on the road. In order, however, further to accommodate the public, Mr. Page’s Oatlands coach is re-established; starting from Hobart Town every afternoon at four o’clock, and from Oatlands every morning at nine o’clock.
Colonial Times, 11 December 1849

MR. PAGE. — The facilities possessed by this enterprising colonist, guarantee a cheap, comfortable, and expeditious passage, between the chief towns of the Island. Opposition invariably produces public good, which although carried to lengths in many businesses, is generally extreme in that of coaches. We are sure Mr. Page will be successful in his extensive undertaking, he deserves to be so, from the large way in which he has unhesitatingly speculated. Mrs. Cox, in retiring takes with her the good will of all having during her career been most meritorious in public life, added to the possession of every social virtue.
Cornwall Chronicle, 19 December 1849

December 1849

Leave a Reply