Ann and Catherine were both Norfolk Islanders who took up land around Hobart when the island settlement was closed. By 1819, both were widowed and responsible for the running of their respective farms.
Ann Lucas (nee Howard) & her husband settled at Browns River, now Kingston.
They were buried in St David’s cemetery, Hobart
Catherine Chipman (nee Burn/Burns) settled with her husband at Clarence Plains, now the Clarendon Vale/Rokeby area on Hobart’s eastern shore.
The Chipman family also did well. Joseph and Catherine arrived with their children from Norfolk Island in 1808, and by 1809 were growing wheat on their 75 acre grant, which they called Clarendon Vale. The four-room brick house they built, from clay quarried nearby, is still inhabited, possibly the oldest such house in Tasmania. The Chipmans did so well that they were able to buy two other farms when less successful settlers gave up. Joseph died in 1816, aged 42, and Catherine was left with the farms to run and six children to care for, some still very young. She succeeded, and by 1819 the family owned 375 acres and 2400 sheep.
The Eastern Shore: A History of Clarence, Chapter 2