This is one of series of photos of Willow Court. The main post is here.
This was Ward C, aka Carlton House. There was an information panel near this building, which said:
The “Criminal Block” was built in 1908-09, abutting the Barracks and the Pillar Block and facing the original A and B wards. It was constructed by Stabb Bros at a cost of £8,000 ($1 million) was reported to be in use by May, 1909.
The Mercury reported that special planning had been needed, owing to the dangerous class of patients to be house: “Some of the most violent patients the State has known are detained at New Norfolk. Some of the men were at one time at Port Arthur.”
The newspaper’s description continued: “The main building of the new erection consists of a fine brick and stone two storied structure, containing 24 large single rooms, with a large dining-room and dayroom. The attendants have three bedrooms and a dining-room. There are two rooms fitted with porcelain enamelled baths and the latest types of lavatories; while hot and cold water is laid on. In nearly every particular especial precautions have had to be taken, owing to the character of those for whom the building is intended.” [Complete article.]
Between 1964-67 this building was extensively altered and modernised, The demolition of the old A and B wards in the mid-1960s provided C War with a very large exercise yard which was surrounded by a new 4.5m concrete wall within the hospital’s original brick wall.
In the 1970s the new Mental Health Services Commission brought abut the construction of the psychiatric hospital at Risdon Prison, near Hobart, that would cater for patients who had been committed to the Royal Derwent Hospital via the criminal courts. By 1982, Royal Derwent no longer accepted these “forensic” cases and C Ward was closed.
Photos presented in the order I took them, starting at the entrance just to the right of the edge of photo, going upstairs and coming down again. This place is poplar with possums, as you might notice.