cnr of Tamar and Cimitiere Street
1833 John Griffith
1834-35 William Griffiths
1836-40 John Jacob Driver
Possibly this moved. One of the ads below places the building “lately known at the Whale Fishery” in Cimitiere Street running back towards William St. Based on Smythe’s map of 1835 (below), there is a block in Cimitiere Street, Bridge (Tamar) St and running back towards William Street (makred with a red X) but it has no buildings marked on it and if the block had a long Bridge Street frontage, why wasn’t this mention? Then the following year there is an advertisement for the premises formerly known at the Whale Fishery, with buildings, when the house in question was obviously still licensed by that name. The simplest explanation seems to be that the Whale Fisher was originally further west, along Cimitiere St and bout 1834 moved to the corner of Bridge/Tamar St.
Also using the map above, there is only one corner of Tamar and Cimitiere that has buildings marked, shown here with a red arrow.
That location looks like this now:
Hobart Town Courier, 7 March 1834
Launceston Advertiser, 16 October 1834
Launceston Advertiser, 29 December 1834
Launceston Advertiser, 15 October 1835
Launceston Advertiser, 24 March 1836
Launceston Advertiser, 13 October 1836
Cornwall Chronicle, 11 March 1837
Death of John Jacob Driver, innkeeper, Launceston (RGD35/1/16 no 315).