Clarendon Hotel, Evandale

11 Russell St, Evandale. Google Maps.


17 May 2014

1849 Thomas Fall
1850-88 Thomas Fall, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1889 Oscar Botcher, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1889 William Atkins, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1889 Oscar Bottcher, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1890-92 Walter Smith, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1892-93 Kate Nichols, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1893+ Michael John Ryan, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale


Dawn, 20 February 2016
Continue reading

Hibernia–Verandah Wine Vaults–Jubilee

72-74 Bathurst Street.
Google Maps.
SE cnr Brisbane & Bathurst Streets. Google Maps.


Bathurst and Brisbane St, 2009.

1835 Josiah Pitcher, the Hibernia, Bathurst Street
1836-38 Josiah Pitcher, Hibernia/Hibernian Inn, Launceston
1839-40 Joseph Fossey, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1840-41 Walter Hobson, Hibernia Inn/Hotel, Bathurst Street
1841-42 John Green, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1842-45 William Lewis, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1845 Edward Potts, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1845-46 Thomas Dudley, Verandah Wine Vaults, Bathurst St
1846-47 Michael O’Meara, Hibernia, Bathurst Street
1847-49 Benjamin Walford, The Hibernia, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets**
1849-61 John Green, Hibernia (Inn), Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1862-85 Jane Green, Hibernia Inn/Hibernian Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1885-86 Alfred Green, Hibernia Inn, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1886-97 George Green, Hibernia Inn, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1897 Francis Green, Hibernia Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1898 Walter David Johnston, Hibernia Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1898+ Walter David Johnston, Jubilee Hotel, Brisbane and Bathurst streets
**Change of location

Later Victoria Hotel. Now (2017) Irish Murphy’s. The current Art Deco facade dates from the 1930s. I can’t find any photos prior to this.

Photo 1942 (Jubilee Hotel, as best I can tell.)
Photo 1991


2009
Continue reading

Edinburgh Castle (2) — Hill View

SE cnr Frederick & Bathurst St. Google Maps.


Cnr Frederick & Bathurst Sts, September 2015. (This is Frederick St, the intersection with Bathurst St is on the far right, with the traffic light and white vehicle.)

Moved from Elizabeth Street
1847-49 Henry Reading, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1849-55 James Moriss Martin, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1855-64 Francis Wilson, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1864-66 Mary Ann Wilson, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1866-69 Thomas Woods, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1869-71 Henry A’Beaven, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1871-82 James Murphy, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1882-83 William J. Spearman, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1883-85 John Chalmers, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1885-89 George Digney, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1887-89 George Digney, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1889 Thomas Maloney, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1889-94 Daniel O’Farrell, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1894-95 Charles Kerslake, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1895 William Bass Thurston, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1895 Thomas Kirkwood, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1897 William Douglas Burns, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street

Henry Reading, “Edinburgh Castle,” corner of Frederick and Bathurst streets.-House indifferent. but clean, mutton bird feather beds. This and another house, Mr. Tarleton said, were the only two in which he perceived them (laughter). Mr. Tarleton said there was no accounting for tastes, but he did not approve of mutton bird feather beds, nor admire the tastes of those who did. Granted.
Launceston Examiner, 4 September 1847
Continue reading

Patriot King William the Fourth, Evandale

16 High Street, Evandale. Google Maps.

As all the source materials (licensing lists, newspaper advertisements etc) only give the locality or town, it is difficult to tell if a hotel has always been at location or might have, in its earlier years, been elsewhere. In this case, Karl von Stieglitz says John Williat had an inn at New River in 1832 that “was built on the 37.5 acre block on which his house, the Laurels, and also later ‘The Patriot King William the Fourth’, now Blenheim, were afterwards erected”, but at the bottom of the same page he says Blenheim “was built as ‘The Patriot King William the Fourth” in 1832, being licensed in October of that year”. So take that as you will.
(A history of Evandale, K. R. von Stieglitz, 1967, p. 68)


November 2004

1832 John Willett, New River
1833 John Williatt, Patriot King, William IV, South Esk
1834 John Williat, King William the Fourth, South Esk River
1835-37 John Williat, Patriot King, William the Fourth, New River
1838-39 John Williat, Patriot King, William the 4th, Evandale
1840 Eleanor Perkins, King William the Fourth, Evandale,
1841-42 John Williatt, Patriot King, William IV. Evandale.
1843-1849 Thomas Fall, Patriot King, William the Fourth, Evandale
1849-1853 John Williat, King William the Fourth, Evandale
1853-57 William Wright, Patriot King (William IV), Evandale
1857-1870 John Duffell, Patriot King Hotel, Evandale
1871-76 Dinah Duffell, Patriot King Hotel, Evandale.
1876+ Private residence
Continue reading

North Esk Inn — St Leonards Hotel, St Leonards

327 St Leonards Rd, St Leonards. Google maps.

Dscf9147

1857-59 R. Lewis, North Esk Inn, Patterson Plains/St Leonards
1860-63 Walter Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1863 John Martin, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1863 Thomas Humphreys, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1864 James Ley, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1865-66 Henry Walbourne, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1867-69 William Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards*
1870-1884 Walter Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1884-1895 Charles Manser, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1896-98 Henry A. Percy, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1898 George Julius Petterson, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1899-1901 George Wilton, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards

*William Harris might be the (adopted) son of Walter.

Richard Lewis, North Esk Inn, Patterson’s Plains.
The Police Magistrate gave some information respecting the applicants and the ocality of the houses. They were all new houses except the Commercial Inn and the iasgow Wine Vaults. He handed in a memorial against Mr. Hyrons’ house.
The applications were then considered in the following order:
Richard Lewis.-Mr. Douglas said the applicant was a well-conducted man, better known, perhaps, as “Dick,” the guard of the mail. The house was a new one, near Mount Esk. It was well recommended, was much wanted, and had good accommodation.
The Police Magistrate said there was no licensed house for miles, and he did not object. Granted.

Launceston Examiner, 2 December 1856
Continue reading

Wilmot Arms

Cnr Garfield Street and Wellington Street (Road), Sandhill/South Launceston. Google Maps approximate location
Demolished 1972

SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. Google Maps, approximate location.
Demolished 1894.

Mw1_0735
SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. (2015)

Previously Green Gate
1844-47 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Sand Hill
–> Moved to site of Black Swan
1847-48 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Wellington and Brisbane Streets
1848 Jane Clark/Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1849-53 John Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1853-54 Daniel O’Donell, Wilmot Arms, Wellington and Brisbane Streets
1854-55 George Summers, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1855-63 John Blades, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1863-66 Charles Page, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1866-68 Alfred John Green, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1868-69 Alfred Stephen Harris, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1869 John Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1870-80 Michael Lawler, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
–> License transferred to former Fire Brigade Inn, Brisbane Street

Photo of Wellington St, with Brisbane St intersection on the very right. The light coloured building on that corner is the Wilmot Arms (name is along the top), which is a facade around the older Black Swan. (Alternate link.)

Extracts from Examiner story, “Colourful Old Hostelries”:
The first hotel in Launceston was the Black Swan, built in 1820, and kept by G. Burgess, an old whaler. It stood on the corner of Brisbane and Wellington streets and was after wards known as the Wilmot Arms before it was pulled down.

In Brisbane St. where the Enfleld (now McClymont’s), Cleary’s (now Tuck’s shop), Wilmot Arms (now a motor garage), Noah’s Ark (at corner of Margaret St.), Glenfield House, Barber’s Hotel (now Routley’s and the adjoining bank) and the Fire Brigade (now the Imperial).
Examiner, 12 March 1946
Continue reading

Bird in Hand (4) – Shamrock – Victoria (4)

Brisbane & George Streets
81 Elizabeth Street

march-2016
81 Elizabeth St, Match 2016

Formerly Half-Moon
1845 Adam Yates, Bird in Hand, George Street
1846 Patrick Cunningham, Bird in Hand, George Street
1847 Daniel O’Donell, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1848 William Grosvenor, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1850-54 George Summers, Bird-in-hand, Elizabeth Street
1854-57 John Bailey, Bird-in-hand, Elizabeth Street
1857-60 James Spencer, Bird-in-Hand, Elizabeth Street
1861-62 Edward Spencer, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1863-64 Richard Gee, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1865 Jeremiah Foley, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1865 Jeremiah Foley, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1867 John Tynan, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1870 Thomas Woods, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1871 Elizabeth Woods, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1871 Frederick Hollingsworth, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1883 John White, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1883-84 John Clydesdale, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1884 John Clydesdale, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1885-86 Charles Dalwood, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1887-95 Michael Lawler, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1895+ Elizabeth Jessamine Lawler, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street

Known as Burnie Hotel from 1909-1919. Seems to have been last licensed in 1919. In 1924 it was converted to a Trades Hall.
Continue reading

Cornwall Coffee Rooms

Bathurst & York St
Charles Street?
Paterson St.  Approximate location on Google Maps.

wp_20161212_16_58_01_pro
Paterson St, December 2016. The Coffee Rooms adjoined the old Examiner building  (the red, white & yellow building), so on the site of the brick and glass addition.

Paterson St, 1940s (low two-storey building, two doors along from the National. Tall brick building is the Examiner building).
Paterson St, 1970 (on the left).

1843 George Bygrave, York & Bathurst Streets*
1845 George Layton, Paterson St*
1845-51 licensed as the White Horse
1852-54 John Thompson, Paterson St

*I don’t know if these are the same establishment. Continue reading

Enfield Hotel (2)

169 Charles St. Google Maps.

img_2391
Now a shop.

Photo while still a hotel (1960s-1980s)
Earlier but poor quality image
1885 street scene, cnr of Charles and York Streets. Charles St runs from the bottom left corner. Enfield must be the third from the corner, next door to the low auction mart building.)

1868-85 Elijah E. Panton, Enfield Hotel, Charles Street
1885-88 Jane Elizabeth Panton, Enfield Hotel, Charles Street
1888+ Edward Henry Panton, Enfield Hotel, Charles-street. Continue reading

White Horse (2)

Paterson Street. Approximate location on Google Maps.

Formerly & afterwards Cornwall Coffee Rooms

wp_20161212_16_58_01_pro
Paterson St, December 2016. The White Horse adjoined the old Examiner building  (the red, white & yellow building), so on the site of the brick and glass addition.

Paterson St, 1940s (low two-storey building, two doors along from the National. Tall brick building is the Examiner building).
Paterson St, 1970 (on the left).

1845-46 John Mills, White Horse, Paterson Street
1846 James Johnson, White Horse, Paterson Street
1846-48 Mary Ann Johnson, White Horse, Paterson Street
1848-50 William Hedger, White Horse, Patterson Street

Continue reading