Breadalbane Temperance Hotel

Breadalbane.

1884-5 George Horder

Nothing on this, other than some sale notices.

From “Annual Licensing Meeting”:
George Horder, Breadalbane Hotel, Beadalbane. There being one house at Breadalbane already licensed, the application was refused.
Daily Telegraph, 2 December 1884

Unlicensed (temperance) hotels are often established after an application for a licence has been rejected. This would seem to be the case here.


Launceston Examiner, 11 July 1884


Daily Telegraph, 21 April 1885


Launceston Examiner, 4 January 1886

Breadalbane Temperance Coffee House

Breadalbane, 1850s

Cannot find much about this, other than two short news items at the bottom of the page. Was it located in the building that had originally been the Albion Inn?

In 1849, “Timothy Sullivan applied for a license at the Cocked Hat, district of Morven. The premises for which applicant applied were lately occupied by Mr. Pilbeam, but Mr. Pilbeam finding the premises inconvenient, obtained permission from Mr. Wales, the assistant P. M., to remove to an adjoining house … The land originally belonged to Mr. Scott, who had not resided in the colony for many years, it was rented to Mr. Solomon, and by him sub-rented to Mr. Pilbeam, who had at a great expense erected the house to which he had lately removed. (Cornwall Chronicle, 9 May 1849)

Unlicensed hotels (temperance hotels, coffee houses etc) are often established in establishments that have been refused licenses. The two contemporary stories (below) have the coffee house as belonging to Mrs Pilbeam and Mr Scott, which supports it being the house referred to in the rejected application.

A 1949 story about the Woolpack Inn being redeveloped says:

The Woolpack Inn, earlier known as the Breadalbane Coffee House, was built in the late 30’s on land granted in 1838 to Thomas Scott, one of Van Diemen’s Land’s earliest settlers. He was a land surveyor from County Barwick, Scotland, and he apparently conceived Breadalbane as the site for a big township. He sub divided much of his 584 acres and named the area the Cocked Hat Hill Estate.
Advocate, 16 November 1949

————————————
Cocked Hat — The draft of the bill for dividing the colony into electoral districts, and providing representatives for the same, leaves out entirely the small village at the Cocked Hat–so that the houses of Mrs. Pilbeam–the Breadalbane Coffee-house, and another, are beyond the pale of electoral privileges
Cornwall Chronicle, 30 April 1851

FIRE–About two o’clock this morning, the Breadalbane Temperance Coffee House, at the Cocked Hat was destroyed by fire the walls only being left standing. The property belongs to Mr. Thomas Scott: the Surveyor, now in England.
Colonial Times, 20 January 1853

Rob Roy, The Springs

1831 Roderick M’Donald, South Esk
1832 Roderick MacDonald, Rob Roy, Springs
1833-34 James Gurney, Rob Roy, Springs


Hobart Town Courier, 1 October 1831


The Independent, 11 May 1833

Two of the same party, the next morning, called at the “Rob Roy” public-house, at the Springs, kept by a man named Gurney : they represented themselves as settlers from Ben Lomond; ordered breakfast, of which they partook, and on leaving said, they would return in the evening, on their way home. Accordingly they returned, and ordered beds. During the evening, a knock at the door was answered by the landlord, when two men from without presented fire arms, and ordered him to stand. On looking round, he found one of the strangers, who were with him in the morning, standing behind him with a pistol presented at his (Gurney’s) head. The four men, supposed to be Ward, Newman, Lindsay, and Buchan, then proceeded to tie the inmates of the house ; and after remaining about two hours, decamped, taking with them tea, sugar, tobacco, flour, bread, and some money, to the amount of £27. The robbery was soon, after they left, reported to District Constable Murray, who went in pursuit of the thieves, but without success.
The Colonist, 28 January 1834


The Independent, 19 April 1834


Launceston Advertiser, 13 July 1837

Albion Inn, Breadalbane

1839-45 William Kitson, Albion, Springs
1845-50 (William) George Pilbeam, Albion Inn, Springs/Cocked Hat
1851 Ann Pilbeam/Cole, Albion Inn, Cocked Hat
1851-53 John Cole, Albion Inn, Cocked Hat
1854-56 Samuel Thomas Story, Albion Inn, Cocked Hat Hill, Breadalbane
1856-58 Edward Davies, Albion Hotel, Breadalbane
1859?-66 Joseph Brown, Albion Hotel, Breadalbane
1866-68 Martha Allen, Albion Inn, Breadalbane
1868-9 Richard Barker, Albion Inn, Breadalbane

Prior to 1849, the Albion moved to a new building, as there was application for a license for the original building (see below, 9 May 1849).


The Courier, 6 April 1841


Cornwall Chronicle, 15 October 1842 Continue reading

White Hart, Springs

Breadalbane.
Licensing notices give the location as the Springs (Breadalbane), but an advertisement (see below) and a news story the same year place it at New River (Evandale).

1835 Charles Radcliffe, the White Hart, Springs
1835-36 William Kitson, White Hart, Springs

Launceston Advertiser, 4 June 1835
Launceston Advertiser, 4 June 1835


Hobart Town Courier, 14 August 1835


Cornwall Chronicle, 8 April 1836

Royal Oak (1)

Cnr Wellington & Elizabeth Streets

1830-31 James McClure, Royal Oak, Wellington Street
1832-35 James McClure, Royal Oak, Wellington & Elizabeth Streets
1836-37 Goodman Hart, Royal Oak, Wellington & Elizabeth Streets


Launceston Advertiser, 1 December 1834


Cornwall Chronicle, 1 July 1837


Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1837


Cornwall Chronicle, 28 April 1838