Woolpack Inn

Cnr Brisbane & Bathurst Sts
Wellington Street

1844 Robert Pearson, Woolpack Inn, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1845 Robert Pearson, Woolpack, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1846 Robert Pearson, Woolpack, Wellington Road/Sandhill


Launceston Advertiser, 16 November 1844

Robert Pearson, Wool Pack Inn, Sand-Hill.- Mr. Bartley objected on account of the house being dirty and ill-furnished; also applicant living in a state of adultery.-Unanimously refused.
Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1846

Globe (2)

1833 Samuel Hutchinson, Globe, Canning St
1834 Samuel Hutchinson, Globe, Elizabeth & Wellington Streets*
1834 James Corbett, Globe, Canning Street**

This might be the same site as the King’s Arms, as John Ashton appears to have moved the Arms to Elizabeth and Wellington Street in late 1834.

**Might not be the same site as previously.

Mr. Samuel Hutchinson of the “Globe Tavern” has had his License transferred from his new Residence in Canning street, to those well situated’ premises at the angle of Elizabeth and Wellington streets, belonging to Mr. John Ashton.
The Independent, 8 March 1834


Last mention of Hutchinson & Globe. (Independent, 7 June 1834)

Hobart Town Courier, 22 August 1834
Hobart Town Courier, 22 August 1834


Independent, 6 September 1834

Ship Inn (2)

Charles Street

Previously in St John Street
1830 Patrick Carolan, Ship Inn, Charles St
1831-34 George Aylwin, Ship Inn, Charles St

This Charles Street site was previously licensed to Robert Heaney as the Waterloo Tavern.
The St John Street building became the Commercial Tavern, the Star & Garter and then Ship Inn again.

Launceston Advertiser, 14 June 1830
Launceston Advertiser, 14 June 1830

In 1831, the Ship Inn of Charles St is licensed to George Aylwin, and he reappears on the list the following year although the names of the premises aren’t given, and in 1833. In June 1834 he is charged with breaching the licensing act and advertising a candle manufactory. After this I can find no mention of Aylwin. (His wife and child seem to have gone to Sydney.)

Launceston Advertiser, 27 December 1832
Launceston Advertiser, 27 December 1832

College Arms

Cameron Street?

Is this the Black Swan under another name? The only mention of “College Arms” is in the list of licensed publicans for the year 1830, under “New Licenses Granted”:

Over the next few months, Caryl is in trouble for habouring:

20 December 1830: charged with having harboured in his public house, at Launceston, for the purpose of tippling after 8 o’clock, two convicts — charge dismissed.

28 March 1831: charged with allowing a prisoner to remain in his house, whose pass had expired two days ; fined £2 and costs.

20 June 1831 : charged with harbouring two convicts illegally at large. Decision referred to the quarter sessions, it being the third offence.

Then in July, the licence for the Black Swan, Brisbane Street is transferred from Caryl to Neil Campbell:
Hobart Town Courier, 30 July 1831
Hobart Town Courier, 30 July 1831

Robin Hood, Springs

1834-36 James Lucas, Robin Hood, Springs


The Independent, 6 September 1834


Launceston Advertiser, 2 July 1835

From “Launceston Police Intelligence”:
James Lucas, of the Springs, for allowing Charles Clayton and James Rivulet (both transported offenders) in his public house on the night of the 26th ultimo, was sentenced to pay a penalty of £5. Mr. Lucas said he would appeal at the next Quarter Sessions against the fine.
Cornwall Chronicle, 16 January 1836