Wharf area, cnr St John & William Streets
The building marked with a red 1 was the Ship and the red 2 is the Sailor’s Return, later Market Tavern. (Click for a larger version. From Smythe, H. W. H., Plan of the town of Launceston, VDL, 1835)
1824-25 Nathaniel Lucas, Ship Inn
1827-29 John McDiarmid, Ship Inn, St John St
1829 Patrick Carolan, Ship Inn, St John & William St
–>Moved to Charles Street.
+This site became Commercial Hotel and then Star & Garter and then Ship again.
1835-37 James Whitehead, Ship Inn, Wharf/St John Street
1837-50 Robert Brand, Ship Inn, St John Street
1851-55 Mary Ann Brand, Ship Inn, St John & William Streets
1855-57 Thomas Wells, Ship Inn, St John & William Streets
1857 Burnt down. New location refused.
In 1824, Nathaniel Lucas, Ship Inn appears in the list of licenses granted, and he is advertising the premises shortly thereafter although there is no indication of the location.
Tasmanian & Port Dalrymple Advertiser, 19 January 1825
Continue reading Ship Inn (1, 3)