Hibernia–Verandah Wine Vaults–Jubilee

Bathurst Street*
SE cnr Brisbane & Bathurst Streets. Google Maps.

*George Fuller puts this location as the western side of Bathurst St, between York and Frederick Streets.
Approximately here.


Bathurst and Brisbane St, 2009.

1835 Josiah Pitcher, the Hibernia, Bathurst Street
1836-38 Josiah Pitcher, Hibernia/Hibernian Inn, Launceston
1839-40 Joseph Fossey, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1840-41 Walter Hobson, Hibernia Inn/Hotel, Bathurst Street
1841-42 John Green, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1842-45 William Lewis, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1845 Edward Potts, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1845-46 Thomas Dudley, Verandah Wine Vaults, Bathurst St
1846-47 Michael O’Meara, Hibernia, Bathurst Street
1847-49 Benjamin Walford, The Hibernia, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets**
1849-61 John Green, Hibernia (Inn), Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1862-85 Jane Green, Hibernia Inn/Hibernian Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1885-86 Alfred Green, Hibernia Inn, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1886-97 George Green, Hibernia Inn, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1897 Francis Green, Hibernia Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1898 Walter David Johnston, Hibernia Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1898+ Walter David Johnston, Jubilee Hotel, Brisbane and Bathurst streets
**Change of location

Later Victoria Hotel. Now (2017) Irish Murphy’s. The current Art Deco facade dates from the 1930s. I can’t find any photos prior to this.

Photo 1942 (Jubilee Hotel, as best I can tell.)
Photo 1991


2009
Continue reading

Edinburgh Castle (2) — Hill View

SE cnr Frederick & Bathurst St. Google Maps.


Cnr Frederick & Bathurst Sts, September 2015. (This is Frederick St, the intersection with Bathurst St is on the far right, with the traffic light and white vehicle.)

Moved from Elizabeth Street
1847-49 Henry Reading, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1849-55 James Moriss Martin, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1855-64 Francis Wilson, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1864-66 Mary Ann Wilson, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1866-69 Thomas Woods, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1869-71 Henry A’Beaven, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1871-82 James Murphy, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1882-83 William J. Spearman, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1883-85 John Chalmers, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1885-89 George Digney, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1887-89 George Digney, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1889 Thomas Maloney, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1889-94 Daniel O’Farrell, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1894-95 Charles Kerslake, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1895 William Bass Thurston, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1895 Thomas Kirkwood, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1897 William Douglas Burns, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street

Henry Reading, “Edinburgh Castle,” corner of Frederick and Bathurst streets.-House indifferent. but clean, mutton bird feather beds. This and another house, Mr. Tarleton said, were the only two in which he perceived them (laughter). Mr. Tarleton said there was no accounting for tastes, but he did not approve of mutton bird feather beds, nor admire the tastes of those who did. Granted.
Launceston Examiner, 4 September 1847
Continue reading

North Esk Inn — St Leonards Hotel, St Leonards

327 St Leonards Rd, St Leonards. Google maps.

Dscf9147

1857-59 R. Lewis, North Esk Inn, Patterson Plains/St Leonards
1860-63 Walter Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1863 John Martin, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1863 Thomas Humphreys, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1864 James Ley, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1865-66 Henry Walbourne, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1867-69 William Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards*
1870-1884 Walter Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1884-1895 Charles Manser, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1896-98 Henry A. Percy, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1898 George Julius Petterson, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1899-1901 George Wilton, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards

*William Harris might be the (adopted) son of Walter.

Richard Lewis, North Esk Inn, Patterson’s Plains.
The Police Magistrate gave some information respecting the applicants and the ocality of the houses. They were all new houses except the Commercial Inn and the iasgow Wine Vaults. He handed in a memorial against Mr. Hyrons’ house.
The applications were then considered in the following order:
Richard Lewis.-Mr. Douglas said the applicant was a well-conducted man, better known, perhaps, as “Dick,” the guard of the mail. The house was a new one, near Mount Esk. It was well recommended, was much wanted, and had good accommodation.
The Police Magistrate said there was no licensed house for miles, and he did not object. Granted.

Launceston Examiner, 2 December 1856
Continue reading

Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane

Breadalbane.

1856 James Coope, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1861 Edwaard Humphries, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1862-66 William Hanney, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1867-68 William Henry Parkinson, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1869 W. Saltmarsh, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1869-71 Robert Barker, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1871-72 Henry Chugg, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1872-4 Richard Chugg, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1874-77 Wm. Wyndham Barton, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1877 Elizabeth Barton/Davis, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1878 Phillip Davis, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1878-82 Charles Landsdell, Woolpack Inn,Breadalbane
1882-83 George Laird, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1883-97 Robert Barker, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1900+ Robert Barker, Woolpack Hotel, Breadalbane

(There doesn’t seem to much information on this one for early years, but the above is what I’ve been able to find. I would really like to find some more about the who and when (and where) prior to Parkinson.)


Launceston Examiner, 27 December 1859
Continue reading

Wilmot Arms

Cnr Garfield Street and Wellington Street (Road), Sandhill/South Launceston. Google Maps approximate location
Demolished 1972

SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. Google Maps, approximate location.
Demolished 1894.

Mw1_0735
SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. (2015)

Previously Green Gate
1844-47 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Sand Hill
–> Moved to site of Black Swan
1847-48 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Wellington and Brisbane Streets
1848 Jane Clark/Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1849-53 John Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1853-54 Daniel O’Donell, Wilmot Arms, Wellington and Brisbane Streets
1854-55 George Summers, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1855-63 John Blades, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1863-66 Charles Page, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1866-68 Alfred John Green, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1868-69 Alfred Stephen Harris, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1869 John Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1870-80 Michael Lawler, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
–> License transferred to former Fire Brigade Inn, Brisbane Street

Photo of Wellington St, with Brisbane St intersection on the very right. The light coloured building on that corner is the Wilmot Arms (name is along the top), which is a facade around the older Black Swan. (Alternate link.)

Extracts from Examiner story, “Colourful Old Hostelries”:
The first hotel in Launceston was the Black Swan, built in 1820, and kept by G. Burgess, an old whaler. It stood on the corner of Brisbane and Wellington streets and was after wards known as the Wilmot Arms before it was pulled down.

In Brisbane St. where the Enfleld (now McClymont’s), Cleary’s (now Tuck’s shop), Wilmot Arms (now a motor garage), Noah’s Ark (at corner of Margaret St.), Glenfield House, Barber’s Hotel (now Routley’s and the adjoining bank) and the Fire Brigade (now the Imperial).
Examiner, 12 March 1946
Continue reading

Green Gate — Wilmot Arms

Cnr Garfield Street and Wellington Street (Road), Sandhill/South Launceston. Google Maps approximate location.
Demolished 1927.

1834 George Dodery, Green Gate Inn, Main Rd/Sandhill
1835 Stephen Hopwood, Green Gate, Launceston
1836 Lewis Henry Lazarus?
1836-40 James Corbett, Green Gate, Sandhill
—> Moved to Wellington Street
1844-47 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Sand Hill
–> Moved to site of Black Swan, cnr Brisbane & Wellington streets

The Colonist, 20 May 1834
The Colonist, 20 May 1834


Colonial Times, 4 November 1834
Continue reading

Centennial Hotel

NW cnr Balfour & Bathurst Streets. Google Maps.

wp_20160724_12_05_11_pro
July 2016

1888 John Walsh, Centennial Hotel, Balfour and Bathurst Streets Street
1898+ Ernest Alfred Fawkner, Centennial Hotel, Balfour and Bathurst Streets Street

From “Annual Licensing Meeting”:
The application for the Jolly Butchers had special features. The house had been established for a number of years, and the tenant, Mr. Walsh, wished to purchase it when it was offered for sale by public auction, but the biddings did not reach the reserve, and then Mr. Walsh. proceeded to build the Centennial Hotel on the opposite side of the street and asked for a new license. Mr. E. Byron Miller appeared in support of Mr. Bachfield’s application, which was deferred until that of Mr. Walsh’s was before the bench, when, after deliberation, the application of Mr. Bachfield was refused, for the Jolly Butchers premises, although the proprietor had promised to re-model the premises so as to adapt them to modern requirements.
The Tasmanian, 8 December 1888

Continue reading

Bird in Hand (4) – Shamrock – Victoria (4)

Brisbane & George Streets
81 Elizabeth Street

march-2016
81 Elizabeth St, Match 2016

Formerly Half-Moon
1845 Adam Yates, Bird in Hand, George Street
1846 Patrick Cunningham, Bird in Hand, George Street
1847 Daniel O’Donell, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1848 William Grosvenor, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1850-54 George Summers, Bird-in-hand, Elizabeth Street
1854-57 John Bailey, Bird-in-hand, Elizabeth Street
1857-60 James Spencer, Bird-in-Hand, Elizabeth Street
1861-62 Edward Spencer, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1863-64 Richard Gee, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1865 Jeremiah Foley, Bird in Hand, Elizabeth Street
1865 Jeremiah Foley, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1867 John Tynan, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1870 Thomas Woods, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1871 Elizabeth Woods, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1871 Frederick Hollingsworth, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1883 John White, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1883-84 John Clydesdale, Shamrock Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1884 John Clydesdale, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1885-86 Charles Dalwood, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1887-95 Michael Lawler, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street
1895+ Elizabeth Jessamine Lawler, Victoria Hotel, Elizabeth Street

Known as Burnie Hotel from 1909-1919. Seems to have been last licensed in 1919. In 1924 it was converted to a Trades Hall.
Continue reading

Cornwall Coffee Rooms

Bathurst & York St
Charles Street?
Paterson St.  Approximate location on Google Maps.

wp_20161212_16_58_01_pro
Paterson St, December 2016. The Coffee Rooms adjoined the old Examiner building  (the red, white & yellow building), so on the site of the brick and glass addition.

Paterson St, 1940s (low two-storey building, two doors along from the National. Tall brick building is the Examiner building).
Paterson St, 1970 (on the left).

1843 George Bygrave, York & Bathurst Streets*
1845 George Layton, Paterson St*
1845-51 licensed as the White Horse
1852-54 John Thompson, Paterson St

*I don’t know if these are the same establishment. Continue reading