Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane

Breadalbane.

1856 James Coope, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1861 Edwaard Humphries, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1862-66 William Hanney, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1867-68 William Henry Parkinson, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1869 W. Saltmarsh, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1869-71 Robert Barker, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1871-72 Henry Chugg, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1872-4 Richard Chugg, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1874-77 Wm. Wyndham Barton, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1877 Elizabeth Barton/Davis, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1878 Phillip Davis, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1878-82 Charles Landsdell, Woolpack Inn,Breadalbane
1882-83 George Laird, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1883-97 Robert Barker, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1900+ Robert Barker, Woolpack Hotel, Breadalbane

(There doesn’t seem to much information on this one for early years, but the above is what I’ve been able to find. I would really like to find some more about the who and when (and where) prior to Parkinson.)


Launceston Examiner, 27 December 1859
Continue reading Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane

Albion Inn, Breadalbane

1839-45 William Kitson, Albion, Springs
1845-50 (William) George Pilbeam, Albion Inn, Springs/Cocked Hat
1851 Ann Pilbeam/Cole, Albion Inn, Cocked Hat
1851-53 John Cole, Albion Inn, Cocked Hat
1854-56 Samuel Thomas Story, Albion Inn, Cocked Hat Hill, Breadalbane
1856-58 Edward Davies, Albion Hotel, Breadalbane
1859?-66 Joseph Brown, Albion Hotel, Breadalbane
1866-68 Martha Allen, Albion Inn, Breadalbane
1868-9 Richard Barker, Albion Inn, Breadalbane

Prior to 1849, the Albion moved to a new building, as there was application for a license for the original building (see below, 9 May 1849).


The Courier, 6 April 1841


Cornwall Chronicle, 15 October 1842 Continue reading Albion Inn, Breadalbane

Tamar Wine Vaults

1831 George Hamilton, Charles Street
1832 Gavin Ralston, Tamar Wine & Spirit Vaults, Charles Street
1833 John Davis, Tamar Wine & Spirit Vaults, Charles Street
1834-36 George Hamilton, Tamar Wine Vaults, Charles Street


Launceston Advertiser, 28 September 1831


Independent, 15 October 1831


Independent, 18 February 1832
Continue reading Tamar Wine Vaults

Royal Oak (1)

Cnr Wellington & Elizabeth Streets

1830-31 James McClure, Royal Oak, Wellington Street
1832-35 James McClure, Royal Oak, Wellington & Elizabeth Streets
1836-37 Goodman Hart, Royal Oak, Wellington & Elizabeth Streets


Launceston Advertiser, 1 December 1834


Cornwall Chronicle, 1 July 1837


Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1837


Cornwall Chronicle, 28 April 1838

Clarendon Hotel, Evandale

11 Russell St, Evandale. Google Maps.


17 May 2014

1849 Thomas Fall
1850-88 Thomas Fall, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1889 Oscar Botcher, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1889 William Atkins, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1889 Oscar Bottcher, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1890-92 Walter Smith, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1892-93 Kate Nichols, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1893+ Michael John Ryan, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale


Dawn, 20 February 2016
Continue reading Clarendon Hotel, Evandale

Wilmot Arms

Cnr Garfield Street and Wellington Street (Road), Sandhill/South Launceston. Google Maps approximate location
Demolished 1972

SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. Google Maps, approximate location.
Demolished 1894.

Mw1_0735
SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. (2015)

Previously Green Gate
1844-47 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Sand Hill
–> Moved to site of Black Swan
1847-48 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Wellington and Brisbane Streets
1848 Jane Clark/Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1849-53 John Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1853-54 Daniel O’Donell, Wilmot Arms, Wellington and Brisbane Streets
1854-55 George Summers, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1855-63 John Blades, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1863-66 Charles Page, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1866-68 Alfred John Green, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1868-69 Alfred Stephen Harris, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1869 John Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1870-80 Michael Lawler, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
–> License transferred to former Fire Brigade Inn, Brisbane Street

Photo of Wellington St, with Brisbane St intersection on the very right. The light coloured building on that corner is the Wilmot Arms (name is along the top), which is a facade around the older Black Swan. (Alternate link.)

Extracts from Examiner story, “Colourful Old Hostelries”:
The first hotel in Launceston was the Black Swan, built in 1820, and kept by G. Burgess, an old whaler. It stood on the corner of Brisbane and Wellington streets and was after wards known as the Wilmot Arms before it was pulled down.

In Brisbane St. where the Enfleld (now McClymont’s), Cleary’s (now Tuck’s shop), Wilmot Arms (now a motor garage), Noah’s Ark (at corner of Margaret St.), Glenfield House, Barber’s Hotel (now Routley’s and the adjoining bank) and the Fire Brigade (now the Imperial).
Examiner, 12 March 1946
Continue reading Wilmot Arms