Ship Inn (2)

Charles Street

Previously in St John Street
1830 Patrick Carolan, Ship Inn, Charles St
1831-34 George Aylwin, Ship Inn, Charles St

This Charles Street site was previously licensed to Robert Heaney as the Waterloo Tavern.
The St John Street building became the Commercial Tavern, the Star & Garter and then Ship Inn again.

Launceston Advertiser, 14 June 1830
Launceston Advertiser, 14 June 1830

In 1831, the Ship Inn of Charles St is licensed to George Aylwin, and he reappears on the list the following year although the names of the premises aren’t given, and in 1833. In June 1834 he is charged with breaching the licensing act and advertising a candle manufactory. After this I can find no mention of Aylwin. (His wife and child seem to have gone to Sydney.)

Launceston Advertiser, 27 December 1832
Launceston Advertiser, 27 December 1832

Edinburgh Castle (2) — Hill View

SE cnr Frederick & Bathurst St. Google Maps.


Cnr Frederick & Bathurst Sts, September 2015. (This is Frederick St, the intersection with Bathurst St is on the far right, with the traffic light and white vehicle.)

Moved from Elizabeth Street
1847-49 Henry Reading, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1849-55 James Moriss Martin, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1855-64 Francis Wilson, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1864-66 Mary Ann Wilson, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1866-69 Thomas Woods, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1869-71 Henry A’Beaven, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1871-82 James Murphy, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1882-83 William J. Spearman, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1883-85 John Chalmers, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1885-89 George Digney, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1887-89 George Digney, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1889 Thomas Maloney, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1889-94 Daniel O’Farrell, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1894-95 Charles Kerslake, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1895 William Bass Thurston, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1895 Thomas Kirkwood, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1897 William Douglas Burns, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street

Henry Reading, “Edinburgh Castle,” corner of Frederick and Bathurst streets.-House indifferent. but clean, mutton bird feather beds. This and another house, Mr. Tarleton said, were the only two in which he perceived them (laughter). Mr. Tarleton said there was no accounting for tastes, but he did not approve of mutton bird feather beds, nor admire the tastes of those who did. Granted.
Launceston Examiner, 4 September 1847
Continue reading

1832 Launceston

RENEWALS IN THE COUNTRY
Broad, William, Fox Hunter’s Return, Campbell Town
Brumby, Wm., Crown Inn, Norfolk Plains
Carolan, Patrick, Tasmanian Inn, Cocked Hat Hill
Christie, John, St Andrews Inn, Perth
Clayton, Henry, Norfolk Arms, Norfolk Plains
Daly, Timothy, Harp, High Mount
Gibson, Thomas, Eagle, near Epping Forest
Headlam, John, Macquarie Inn, Macquarie River
Heaney, Richard, Pert Inn, Perth.
Hogg, Gavin, Campbell Town Inn, Campbell Town
MacDonald, Roderick, Rob Roy, Springs
Rosevear, William, Half Way House, Cimitiere Point
Smith, William, Rose Inn, Tamar
Thomas, John G., George Inn, George Town
Trenery, Matthew, Cornish Arms, Campbell Town
White, John, Green Man, Epping Forest
Whitehead, James, Westbury Inn, Westbury
NEW APPLICATIONS IN THE COUNTRY
Bonney, Henry, Hope Inn, Westbury
Connel, John, Woolpack, Jacob’s Sugar Loaf
Devlin, John, St Patrick’s Head, Deloraine
Dibble, William Avoca, Gray’s Arms, Avoca
Dickenson, John, Angel Inn, Ross
Dudley, Thomas, Ship Inn, George Town
Fenner, James, Traveller’s Rest, Norfolk Plains
Haines, Richard, Waterloo Hotel, George Town
James, Joseph, George Town
Lawson, Richard, Jew’s Harp, Fenton’s Ford
Lucas, Charles, Punch Bowl, Magpie Hill
Russell, William, Opossum, White Hills
Sadler, William, Ross Hotel, Ross
Waddingham, Robert, Traveller’s Rest, Big Muddy Plains
Willatt, John, William IV, New River
RENEWALS IN LAUNCESTON
Adams, John, Barley Sheaf, George-street
Aylwin, George, Ship Inn, Charles-street
Bailey, Edward, Horse & Jockey, Sand Hills
Brand, Robert, Edinburgh Castle, Charles-street
Brodie, George S., London Tavern, Cameron-street
Campbell, Neil, Black Swan, Brisbane-street
Connolly, John, Elephant & Castle, Wellington-street
Daniels, John, Ferry House, Bridge-street
Fawkner, John, Cornwall Hotel, Cameron-street
Feutrill, Theophilus, Bricklayers’ Arms, George and York-street
Hardman, Ann, Manchester Arms, Brisbane and John-streets
Hyrons, Benjamin, Spread Eagle, Brisbane-street
Inall, Thomas, Hope & Anchor, George and Cameron-streets
Lenoy, Mary, Cross Keys, George and Cimitiere-streets
Marriott, Thomas, Plough Inn, Charles-street
McClure, James, Royal Oak, Wellington and Elizabeth-street.
Milne, William, Union, George-street
Radford, George, Lame Dog, William-street
Rose, Alexander, British Hotel, Wellington-street
Sevior, John, Falcon, Charles-street
Sommerville, Mungo, Caledonia, Charles-street
Stewart, Alexander, Rose & Thistle, Charles-street
White, Richard, Launceston, Brisbane-street
NEW APPLICATIONS IN TOWN
Dodery, George, Commercial Tavern, John Street
Dunn, John, Sailor’s Return, St John-Street
Hill, John, Sydney Arms, York Street
Howell, Joseph, White Conduit House, Charles-street
Hubbard, George, Deal Cutter, Wharf
Kent, Christian S., Star and Garter, Elizabeth-Street
Ralston, Gavin, Tamar Wine & Spirit Vaults, Charles-street
Solomon, David, Black Lion, Paterson-street
Williams, David, Joiner’s Arms, George and Brisbane-streets

College Arms

Cameron Street?

Is this the Black Swan under another name? The only mention of “College Arms” is in the list of licensed publicans for the year 1830, under “New Licenses Granted”:

Over the next few months, Caryl is in trouble for habouring:

20 December 1830: charged with having harboured in his public house, at Launceston, for the purpose of tippling after 8 o’clock, two convicts — charge dismissed.

28 March 1831: charged with allowing a prisoner to remain in his house, whose pass had expired two days ; fined £2 and costs.

20 June 1831 : charged with harbouring two convicts illegally at large. Decision referred to the quarter sessions, it being the third offence.

Then in July, the licence for the Black Swan, Brisbane Street is transferred from Caryl to Neil Campbell:
Hobart Town Courier, 30 July 1831
Hobart Town Courier, 30 July 1831

Breadalbane Hotels

Wheat Sheaf: Springs
1826 Robert Taylor

Tasmanian Inn: Springs, Cocked Hat Hill, Prospect Hill
1831-37 Patrick Carolan

Rob Roy: Springs
1832 Roderick MacDonald
1833 James Gurney

Robin Hood: Springs
1834-36 James Lucas

White Hart Inn: Springs
1835 Charles Radcliffe
1835-36 William Kitson

Halfway House: Springs, Cocked Hat
1837-8 James Segrave

Albion Inn: Springs, Cocked Hat Hill, Breadalbane
1839-1869 see post

Woolpack Inn: Cocked Hat, Breadalbane
1859-1920 see post

Also two unlicensed premises:

Breadalbane Temperance Coffee House: Cocked Hat
1850s
Temperance Hotel: Breadalbane
1884

1894 Selby

ORIGINAL LICENSES
Anderson, James, Traveller’s rest Inn, Muddy Plains
Barker, Robert, Woolpack Hotel, Breadalbane
Clear, John Henry, The Newstead Inn, Newstead
Faulkner, Thomas, Post Office Hotel, Lisle
Green Matthew, Swan Inn, King’s Meadows
George, Elijah, Hadspen Hotel, Hadspen
Holloway, John W., Racecourse Hotel, Mowbray
Manser, Charles, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
Powell, David, Rising Sun Hotel, Prospect
Smillie, Robert, Junction Hotel, Piper River-road
Titmus, William, Golconda Hotel, Golconda

LICENSES HELD BY TRANSFER
Branley, Patrick, Picnic Hotel, Dilston
Kirkwood, Thomas, Retreat Hotel, Invermay
Rosevear, Thomas, Rose Hotel, Rosevears, West Tamar

(Daily Telegraph, 7 November 1894)

North Esk Inn — St Leonards Hotel, St Leonards

327 St Leonards Rd, St Leonards. Google maps.

Dscf9147

1857-59 R. Lewis, North Esk Inn, Patterson Plains/St Leonards
1860-63 Walter Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1863 John Martin, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1863 Thomas Humphreys, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1864 James Ley, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1865-66 Henry Walbourne, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1867-69 William Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards*
1870-1884 Walter Harris, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1884-1895 Charles Manser, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1896-98 Henry A. Percy, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1898 George Julius Petterson, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards
1899-1901 George Wilton, St. Leonards Hotel, St. Leonards

*William Harris might be the (adopted) son of Walter.

Richard Lewis, North Esk Inn, Patterson’s Plains.
The Police Magistrate gave some information respecting the applicants and the ocality of the houses. They were all new houses except the Commercial Inn and the iasgow Wine Vaults. He handed in a memorial against Mr. Hyrons’ house.
The applications were then considered in the following order:
Richard Lewis.-Mr. Douglas said the applicant was a well-conducted man, better known, perhaps, as “Dick,” the guard of the mail. The house was a new one, near Mount Esk. It was well recommended, was much wanted, and had good accommodation.
The Police Magistrate said there was no licensed house for miles, and he did not object. Granted.

Launceston Examiner, 2 December 1856
Continue reading

Robin Hood, Springs

1834-36 James Lucas, Robin Hood, Springs


The Independent, 6 September 1834


Launceston Advertiser, 2 July 1835

From “Launceston Police Intelligence”:
James Lucas, of the Springs, for allowing Charles Clayton and James Rivulet (both transported offenders) in his public house on the night of the 26th ultimo, was sentenced to pay a penalty of £5. Mr. Lucas said he would appeal at the next Quarter Sessions against the fine.
Cornwall Chronicle, 16 January 1836