ANNUAL LICENSING DAY.
The annual meeting of Justices for the purpose of hearing applications for public house and packet licenses for the Launceston district was held in the Court House on Saturday, the following Magistrates being present—J. Whitefoord, Esq. (Chairman), His Worship the Mayor, the Police Magistrate, Major Welman, Captain Reid, Lieut. Westenhall, James Robertson, James Aikenhead, Archibald Thomson, William Barnes, E. Whiting, John Fawns, J. G. Jennings, W. G. Sams, and John Thompson, Esquires.
Continue reading 1860 Launceston & some country
HOTEL ACCOMMODATION IN LAUNCESTON.
Launceston has long been favorably known for the good character of its hotels, and we believe it was or is in advance of the southern capital. Placed as this town is with regard to the other colonies, it is important that it should always be able to offer to travellers and strangers the comforts and conveniences which every Englishman expects to find in his hotel. We have therefore great pleasure in noticing the improvements which have within a recent period been effected by the enterprise of the proprietors of the leading hotels in Launceston.
First in order of time as well as in reputation we have the Launceston Hotel, where, on the site of one of our Tasmanian antiquities the old “Launceston” a commodious and elegant building was erected between two and three years ago by the present proprietor, Mr. William Carpenter. This building was at once a credit to the proprietor, the architect, and the town. The front in Brisbane street was the first innovation here on tile prevailing style of hotel architecture, and in the internal arrangement of the building convenience and comfort were specially provided for. The centre of the ground floor consists of a public room, 21 feet by 1f feet; the left wing includes a suite of elegantly furnished rooms, securing privacy and convenience; the bar being in the right wing ‘of the building. The upper floor consists of bed-rooms and parlors most conveniently arranged for the accommodation of families and others visitors; and having in front an airy balcony. The billiard-room adjoins the building at the back, and the stables are entered from St John-street. The reputation of this establishment for respectability has been well sustained, and its commanding position and influential country support give it a prominent place amongst the hotels of the colony.
Continue reading Hotel Accommodation in Launceston (1860)