Hibernia–Verandah Wine Vaults–Jubilee

72-74 Bathurst Street.
Google Maps.
SE cnr Brisbane & Bathurst Streets. Google Maps.


Bathurst and Brisbane St, 2009.

1835 Josiah Pitcher, the Hibernia, Bathurst Street
1836-38 Josiah Pitcher, Hibernia/Hibernian Inn, Launceston
1839-40 Joseph Fossey, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1840-41 Walter Hobson, Hibernia Inn/Hotel, Bathurst Street
1841-42 John Green, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1842-45 William Lewis, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1845 Edward Potts, Hibernia Hotel, Bathurst Street
1845-46 Thomas Dudley, Verandah Wine Vaults, Bathurst St
1846-47 Michael O’Meara, Hibernia, Bathurst Street
1847-49 Benjamin Walford, The Hibernia, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets**
1849-61 John Green, Hibernia (Inn), Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1862-85 Jane Green, Hibernia Inn/Hibernian Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1885-86 Alfred Green, Hibernia Inn, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1886-97 George Green, Hibernia Inn, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1897 Francis Green, Hibernia Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1898 Walter David Johnston, Hibernia Hotel, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1898+ Walter David Johnston, Jubilee Hotel, Brisbane and Bathurst streets
**Change of location

Later Victoria Hotel. Now (2017) Irish Murphy’s. The current Art Deco facade dates from the 1930s. I can’t find any photos prior to this.

Photo 1942 (Jubilee Hotel, as best I can tell.)
Photo 1991


2009
Continue reading

Bull’s Head

Wellington Street, Sandhill/South Launceston
SW cnr Charles & Brisbane Streets. Google Maps.
Charles Street
NW cnr Charles and York Streets. Google Maps.

1834-36 William Collins, Bull’s Head, Wellington Street/Main Road
1836-43 William Collins, Bull’s Head, Charles & Brisbane Streets
1843-50 William Duncan, Bull’s Head, Charles & Brisbane Streets (burnt down)
1850 William Duncan sen., Bull’s Head, Charles Street
1851-57 William Duncan, Senr., Bull’s Head, Charles and York Streets
1857-58 Alexander Duncan, Bull’s Head, Charles and York Streets
1858-66 John Burns Thompson, Bulls’ Head, Charles & York Streets
1866-71 William Tuner, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets
1871 Henry Millbank, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets
1871 Elizabeth Woods, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets


Cornwall Chronicle, 19 September 1836


Cornwall Chronicle, 3 December 1836
Continue reading

Harrow Inn

Sandhill/Kings Meadows

1833-35 Robert Hay Marr, Harrow, King’s Meadows
1836 Robert Hay Marr, Harrow, Sand Hill
1840 William Bourne, Traveller’s Rest, Sand Hill – refused
1841 Patrick Walsh, Harrow Inn, Sand Hill
1842-43 Patrick Walsh, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1843-44 Thomas Archer, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1844-45 James Monaghan, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1845-46 Nicholas May, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1846-54 Richard Waycott, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1854 William Gaylor, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1854-59 George Horder, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1859-60 William Saggers, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill
1860 George Horder, Sir George Arthur Inn, Sand Hill – not taken up


Launceston Advertiser, 4 June 1835


Cornwall Chronicle, 15 October 1836
Continue reading

Globe (2)

1833 Samuel Hutchinson, Globe, Canning St
1834 Samuel Hutchinson, Globe, Elizabeth & Wellington Streets*
1834 James Corbett, Globe, Canning Street**

This might be the same site as the King’s Arms, as John Ashton appears to have moved the Arms to Elizabeth and Wellington Street in late 1834.

**Might not be the same site as previously.

Mr. Samuel Hutchinson of the “Globe Tavern” has had his License transferred from his new Residence in Canning street, to those well situated’ premises at the angle of Elizabeth and Wellington streets, belonging to Mr. John Ashton.
The Independent, 8 March 1834


Last mention of Hutchinson & Globe. (Independent, 7 June 1834)

Hobart Town Courier, 22 August 1834
Hobart Town Courier, 22 August 1834


Independent, 6 September 1834

Star and Garter (1)

Cnr Elizabeth and Bathurst Streets, possibly NE corner.

1832-34 Christian Schooling Kent, Star and Garter, Elizabeth & Bathurst Streets
Sign moved to St John Street


Launceston Advertiser, 25 October 1832

On Monday night a robbery was perpetrated at the Star and Garter in-this town, but we have not heard that the thieves took aught save some provisions.
The Independent, 15 June 1833


Independent, 8 February 1834 Continue reading

Ship Inn (2)

Charles Street

Previously in St John Street
1830 Patrick Carolan, Ship Inn, Charles St
1831-34 George Aylwin, Ship Inn, Charles St

This Charles Street site was previously licensed to Robert Heaney as the Waterloo Tavern.
The St John Street building became the Commercial Tavern, the Star & Garter and then Ship Inn again.

Launceston Advertiser, 14 June 1830
Launceston Advertiser, 14 June 1830

In 1831, the Ship Inn of Charles St is licensed to George Aylwin, and he reappears on the list the following year although the names of the premises aren’t given, and in 1833. In June 1834 he is charged with breaching the licensing act and advertising a candle manufactory. After this I can find no mention of Aylwin. (His wife and child seem to have gone to Sydney.)

Launceston Advertiser, 27 December 1832
Launceston Advertiser, 27 December 1832

Edinburgh Castle (2) — Hill View

SE cnr Frederick & Bathurst St. Google Maps.


Cnr Frederick & Bathurst Sts, September 2015. (This is Frederick St, the intersection with Bathurst St is on the far right, with the traffic light and white vehicle.)

Moved from Elizabeth Street
1847-49 Henry Reading, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1849-55 James Moriss Martin, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1855-64 Francis Wilson, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1864-66 Mary Ann Wilson, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1866-69 Thomas Woods, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1869-71 Henry A’Beaven, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1871-82 James Murphy, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1882-83 William J. Spearman, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1883-85 John Chalmers, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1885-89 George Digney, Edinburgh Castle, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1887-89 George Digney, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1889 Thomas Maloney, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1889-94 Daniel O’Farrell, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1894-95 Charles Kerslake, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1895 William Bass Thurston, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1895 Thomas Kirkwood, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street
1897 William Douglas Burns, Hill View Hotel, Bathurst & Frederick Street

Henry Reading, “Edinburgh Castle,” corner of Frederick and Bathurst streets.-House indifferent. but clean, mutton bird feather beds. This and another house, Mr. Tarleton said, were the only two in which he perceived them (laughter). Mr. Tarleton said there was no accounting for tastes, but he did not approve of mutton bird feather beds, nor admire the tastes of those who did. Granted.
Launceston Examiner, 4 September 1847
Continue reading